Wi-Fi Question

ssawjo

10 hours ago, ssawjo said:

Leaving this week for a yachting experience on the SDI.  Question:  Is the wi-fi onboard free of charge and is there a fee?

Thanks,

Bill

It is not free.  The fee is $99 per device per week.

Ok, let me back that up a bit.  It might be a very good thing SD has crummy wi-fi.  Most SD voyages are short.  We have spent some time on longer trips on Viking Oceans which has the best wifi at sea.  That is good for keeping up with bills and money issues but it comes with a price.  Just when you are having fun with chums at the bar, someone plops down with their laptop and FaceTimes their squeally grandchildren.  Imagine that at the TOY Bar.  So there are worse things than poor wifi.....😎

We generally don't feel we need the wifi because we spend time in ports where we can use our AT&T international calling for $10/day/phone, even when we are still on board.  We would still be doing that if we had SD's wifi, which only works on board, so we don't feel the AT&T is costing us any more.  It is kind of nice being disconnected for the time we are at sea.  The one exception was 2019 in Cuba, where AT&T does not have service.  There, we needed the wifi just to keep in touch every day (or evening).  If SD is still charging, I think the $99 quoted is for a 7-day cruise.  Longer or shorter cruises may have different rates.

BTW, when we did the Cuba cruise we were satisfied with the wifi.

And Jim, SeaDreamers do not have grandchildren who are squeally.  Their grandchildrens' parents, well, that's another story.

It's historically been terrible WiFi.  

We have no choice but to have to work some on each trip, even if  it's only 1 week long...for us, working is how we can KEEP taking SD trips!  The last time, Oct. 19, we had to find local places with WiFi to spend time working..It would be much nicer if we could do that early morning before disembarking or at any point ON the ship rather than tote a laptop with us and have to camp out somewhere.

I agree, that facetiming, videos, etc. would be super annoying..I think a way SD could fix the WiFi issue is to offer it in Library.  Then you have to be confined in what is a, naturally, quiet space and get the work done.  

I hope that they improve the WiFi when they dry dock this year.

🙂

27 minutes ago, beachbooles said:

It's historically been terrible WiFi.  

We have no choice but to have to work some on each trip, even if  it's only 1 week long...for us, working is how we can KEEP taking SD trips!  The last time, Oct. 19, we had to find local places with WiFi to spend time working..It would be much nicer if we could do that early morning before disembarking or at any point ON the ship rather than tote a laptop with us and have to camp out somewhere.

I agree, that facetiming, videos, etc. would be super annoying..I think a way SD could fix the WiFi issue is to offer it in Library.  Then you have to be confined in what is a, naturally, quiet space and get the work done.  

I hope that they improve the WiFi when they dry dock this year.

🙂

We have done the same for years.  Since switching to T-Mobile, we find coverage just about anywhere.  Lots of time we don't have to leave the ship to take care of bidness.😎 As far as improving wi-fi at dry dock.....  Well put it this way, we have heard that ever since there has been wi-fi onboard.  🍸

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

We have done the same for years.  Since switching to T-Mobile, we find coverage just about anywhere.  Lots of time we don't have to leave the ship to take care of bidness.😎 As far as improving wi-fi at dry dock.....  Well put it this way, we have heard that ever since there has been wi-fi onboard.  🍸

We have ATT and the phones are no problem but the computer work we have to do is usually too slow on cellular.  I agree that the "talk" that there is WiFi on board is a joke.  You can only claim that it's to preserve the old fashioned "yachting experience" for so long...🤣 We are on again in August,  after SD2 dry docks ...so I can only hope!! 

I can't wait to hear more details on what they are doing at Dry Dock.  We had some friends just get off from their BVI trip but the info seemed vague.

Can't wait to sail again... 🥂 

Just now, beachbooles said:

We have ATT and the phones are no problem but the computer work we have to do is usually too slow on cellular.  I agree that the "talk" that there is WiFi on board is a joke.  You can only claim that it's to preserve the old fashioned "yachting experience" for so long...🤣 We are on again in August,  after SD2 dry docks ...so I can only hope!! 

I can't wait to hear more details on what they are doing at Dry Dock.  We had some friends just get off from their BVI trip but the info seemed vague.

Can't wait to sail again... 🥂 

We were long time AT&T folks then took a world cruise.  Soon as we got home we changed over and have never regretted it.  We bought AT&Ts Passport Plan and it was useless.  All the folks onboard working as usual were on T-Mobile.  No, not a spokesperson and still own our AT&T stock.  Just my experiences with plans overseas.  Heading back to SD this winter (world conditions willing) so hope to run into y'all someday.  Have a great time on SD.🍸