Uniworld Cancel Policy Update - COVID-19

iMarco46

• iMarco46 changed the title to Uniworld Cancel Policy Update - COVID-19

This is my dilemma.  Me/parents are due to leave on a cruise March 31.  They are worried about going.  I called my TA just now but uniworld is closed for them to call.  I will call back in the morning.  The TA told me it's a case by case issue.  He said it could go either way.  I would be completely ok with a future credit.  So has anyone been able to move their cruise for March/April departures??

12 hours ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

and I bought a private policy-don't know if they will cover anything like this.

You need to read your policy and see what it covers.    There are many different insurers issuing many different policies covering many different things.  That said, if you don't have cancel for any reason insurance, I suspect it's unlikely that it is going to kick in here.   But again, you need to read your policy.

So, here is the scoop.  I talked to the TA I booked thru-they talked with uniworld.  If you are traveling in March/April-the standard cancellation policy is what they are following.  If you took the uniworld insurance it is a cancel for any reason.  You would have to make a claim and would receive a voucher that is good for 2 years for the cost of your trip (minus the cost of the insurance). Today my trip is at 30 days so would I lose 50% and all of the airfare cost.  Tomorrow I would lose 100%.  I called Uniworld myself and asked If I were to cancel would there be any way to get a voucher.  She said when you cancel have your TA write a note to the cancellation department and the circumstance and they might give a credit. I point blank asked her if they really do anything she said they sometimes do.  

So, I had a heart to heart with Mom and she asked my Dad his thoughts and he was ok with going.  So, I the end we are going to go ahead and go.  I'm perfectly ok with going-I tend to live my life not worrying about things and go and enjoy.  We will take the necessary sanitary precautions. 

• Like 1

I understand this is a Uniworld post, but here is what Ama sent us about our summer cruise

In light of the recent global events and uncertainties around travel, we wish to offer your clients additional flexibility and peace of mind so they may continue to safeguard the wonderful plans they have made for their much anticipated river cruise with AmaWaterways.

We are pleased to offer for a limited time, special provisions which allow guests with new or existing reservations to purchase AmaWaterways' Travel Waiver Plus. This means they can cancel for any reason with a future cruise credit covering cancellation penalties for services purchased through AmaWaterways. Effective immediately, guests wishing to add Travel Waiver Plus are no longer required to purchase AmaWaterways’ Cruise Protection Plan.

Travel Waiver Plus may now be purchased:

• For existing reservations already paid in full – up until March 15, 2020
    • What’s changed: Previously guests could not add Travel Waiver Plus once their booking was paid in full
  • For existing reservations not yet paid in full – add Travel Waiver Plus to AmaWaterways’ Cruise Protection Plan for $80 or purchase independently for $175
    • What’s changed: Previously guests could not purchase Travel Waiver Plus up until final payment OR independently of our Cruise Protection Plan
  • All new reservations – at the time of booking or until final payment, add Travel Waiver Plus to AmaWaterways’ Cruise Protection Plan for $80 or purchase independently for $175
    • What’s changed: Previously guests could not add Travel Waiver Plus up until final payment or purchase it independently of AmaWaterways’ Cruise Protection Plan

For more information or to add AmaWaterways’ Travel Waiver Plus to your clients’ reservation, please contact us at 800.626.0126.

It says it applies to cruises departing on or after May 1.  Our Douro cruise departs May 3 but the Lisbon  tour portion begins April 30.  Wonder how they would handle this since some in our group are considering cancelling.

Edited by stlrod

6 minutes ago, stlrod said:

It says it applies to cruises departing on or after May 1.  Our Douro cruise departs May 3 but the Lisbon  tour portion begins April 30.  Wonder how they would handle this since some in our group are considering cancelling.

That's an interesting question and you probably need to call them to ask. The site states, "Valid only for 2020 bookings departing May 1 or later, new and existing." So, I would take that to mean that your trip would not meet the requirements. However, since there will be people on your cruise who booked without the pre-cruise extension, it seems illogical that more favorable options for cancellation would be available to them merely because of this.

My AMA cruise starts with a land trip on April 22---the cruise is April 25 on the Douro.... I just called

AMA and that date of 3/15 is when you have to purchase that policy by......

Something came to mind.....if the CRUISE LINE cancels on the customer.....they should be

responsible for reimbursing the customer.  Now, as for cancelling and receiving a future

cruise credit. I have to decide by March 15th......I really want to go.

22 hours ago, coevan said:

I understand this is a Uniworld post, but here is what Ama sent us about our summer cruise

In light of the recent global events and uncertainties around travel, we wish to offer your clients additional flexibility and peace of mind so they may continue to safeguard the wonderful plans they have made for their much anticipated river cruise with AmaWaterways.

We are pleased to offer for a limited time, special provisions which allow guests with new or existing reservations to purchase AmaWaterways' Travel Waiver Plus. This means they can cancel for any reason with a future cruise credit covering cancellation penalties for services purchased through AmaWaterways. Effective immediately, guests wishing to add Travel Waiver Plus are no longer required to purchase AmaWaterways’ Cruise Protection Plan.

Travel Waiver Plus may now be purchased:

• For existing reservations already paid in full – up until March 15, 2020
    • What’s changed: Previously guests could not add Travel Waiver Plus once their booking was paid in full
  • For existing reservations not yet paid in full – add Travel Waiver Plus to AmaWaterways’ Cruise Protection Plan for $80 or purchase independently for $175
    • What’s changed: Previously guests could not purchase Travel Waiver Plus up until final payment OR independently of our Cruise Protection Plan
  • All new reservations – at the time of booking or until final payment, add Travel Waiver Plus to AmaWaterways’ Cruise Protection Plan for $80 or purchase independently for $175
    • What’s changed: Previously guests could not add Travel Waiver Plus up until final payment or purchase it independently of AmaWaterways’ Cruise Protection Plan

For more information or to add AmaWaterways’ Travel Waiver Plus to your clients’ reservation, please contact us at 800.626.0126.

You received this email directly from AMA?  I never received anything......I called them. I am surprised this is not

somewhere easy to see on their website.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

My AMA cruise starts with a land trip on April 22---the cruise is April 25 on the Douro.... I just called

Something came to mind.....if the CRUISE LINE cancels on the customer.....they should be

responsible for reimbursing the customer.  Now, as for cancelling and receiving a future

you should go, we are worried about our July cruise, but have every intention of going. 

On 3/2/2020 at 9:43 AM, bubbulz said:

That's an interesting question and you probably need to call them to ask. The site states, "Valid only for 2020 bookings departing May 1 or later, new and existing." So, I would take that to mean that your trip would not meet the requirements. However, since there will be people on your cruise who booked without the pre-cruise extension, it seems illogical that more favorable options for cancellation would be available to them merely because of this.

What site did you see the info about "departing May 1st or later" My AMA agent sent me an email offering this and my cruise is scheduled for April 18??

On 3/2/2020 at 6:06 PM, Lois R said:

Hi Lois, I am before you on 4/18 and I am facing same dilemma.  I am not afraid of the virus, I am afraid of being on a ship with 12 people and and 11 of them don't drink LOL. Seriously here is some comfort I have found for myself.  The crew on AMADouro are all Portuguese "nationals" they are not AMA employees, only the cruise manager is. Only 2 cases reported so far in Portugal so maybe its a better contained environment all around not having other counties having a presence on the ship.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Ama crews...best ever!! from every part of the world.   So for me I will purchase the waiver just in case of an extreme circumstance but I wholly intend on going.

12 minutes ago, CUTTERSAM said:

What site did you see the info about "departing May 1st or later" My AMA agent sent me an email offering this and my cruise is scheduled for April 18??

It was directly from the Uniworld site. This thread started out as an update of the Uniworld cancellation policy due to COVID-19. My response was made to stlrod, regarding their question about their cruise specifically. It had nothing to do with AMA and I have no idea about their cancellation policies or any changes.

5 minutes ago, CUTTERSAM said:

I read it wrong, I thought you saw it on AMA site.  They tell you nothing on AMA but I can imagine the travel world is total pandemonium and no one at any level knows what to do.

Understand, and agree completely. It was like pulling teeth trying to get info on routing changes when the rivers were low, and the cruise lines seem to be feeling their way through this one similarly.

13 hours ago, CUTTERSAM said:

Hi Lois, I am before you on 4/18 and I am facing same dilemma.  I am not afraid of the virus, I am afraid of being on a ship with 12 people and and 11 of them don't drink LOL. Seriously here is some comfort I have found for myself.  The crew on AMADouro are all Portuguese "nationals" they are not AMA employees, only the cruise manager is. Only 2 cases reported so far in Portugal so maybe its a better contained environment all around not having other counties having a presence on the ship.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Ama crews...best ever!! from every part of the world.   So for me I will purchase the waiver just in case of an extreme circumstance but I wholly intend on going.

Hi, thanks for the post.  I have sailed with AMA before but I didn't know the crew/staff are not their own employees

on this itinerary.  I am sure they are just as competent (one would hope).    As for that waiver, I am thinking of

purchasing it too.  My other thing is---I am taking a TA crossing before the river cruise. I arrive in Barcelona and

flying to Lisbon.  I certainly hope the flights will still be going......flying TAP airlines.

48 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, thanks for the post.  I have sailed with AMA before but I didn't know the crew/staff are not their own employees

on this itinerary.  I am sure they are just as competent (one would hope).    As for that waiver, I am thinking of

purchasing it too.  My other thing is---I am taking a TA crossing before the river cruise. I arrive in Barcelona and

flying to Lisbon.  I certainly hope the flights will still be going......flying TAP airlines.

It's only in. Portugal where the staff is structured as so.  Got that from a cruise manager at AMA. I am flying TAP as well and so far no updates on website re: schedule issues or otherwise beyond Far East

Uniworld has several Milan-Venice going in March or April and some in France and Germany in March and April.

Looks like both France and Germany are in crisis mode and Milan-Venice is done.  Not sure why they haven't canceled yet.  This is crazy.

• Like 1