Uniworld Cancel Policy Update - COVID-19

iMarco46

17 minutes ago, Enryon said:

Just got off the phone with Uniworld. According to the rep they are preparing to cancel European cruises through the end of April. They are not offering a refund though. They are allowing rebooking through the end of 2021 with all fees waived.  

Now I'm totally confused since my tour begins 4/30 and the cruise begins May 3.  Does this mean I can't get 1/2 back now and 1/2 future credit as promised under the most recent update?  Guess I'll call.

Yes they have updated it.  Suspended operations through 4/23.  Re-bookings only.  After 4/23, 14 days cancellations are re-bookings through 2021, no longer 1/2 refund and 1/2 future credit.

Here is the announcement.

Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 12:00pm PDT

Dear Uniworld Guest,

As many of you may know, we are in the midst of our 100th anniversary year for our parent company, The Travel Corporation (TTC). This fiercely passionate, family owned company has had a century’s long commitment to the travel industry and a forward promise to build lifelong travelers, serving customers through experiences that exceed expectations. We call it our ‘Driven by Service’ philosophy.

Service is simply a part of our DNA; it’s who we are and one of the reasons that you have entrusted us with your time, your most valuable asset. It is also why we must share difficult news with you today. We have been closely monitoring the world’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic and given recent news, we do not believe we can continue to offer the award-winning Uniworld experience you have come to expect and deserve at this time. We have therefore made the decision to suspend all European itineraries until April 23rd. If you have a vacation reservation during this temporary suspension period, please know you may rebook your travel dates to any 2020 or 2021 cruise or receive a Future Cruise Credit eligible to be used during the next 24 months.

We know this global situation has caused confusion and anxiety for many; the details of your travel plans should not add to your list of concerns. Our updated cancellation policy will allow guests more time to make decisions about upcoming travels. For bookings after April 23rd, guests can now cancel up to 14 days prior to their cruise and rebook on any 2020 or 2021 cruise without penalty or have the option to rebook with one of our TTC sister brands—from Trafalgar to Insight Vacations—for 2020 to 2021. Full details on our updated cancellation policy may be found below. Our team stands at the ready to assist you as we navigate through this process together.

Beyond service, there is something else a hundred years in travel has taught us: resilience. We know this industry—which has weathered many difficult times over the last century—is strong because we’re in it together. We all believe in the power of travel; it’s potential to open borders, connect cultures and drive local economies. Let us not forget that during these next days; we will all be better for it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the rivers of Europe and beyond this spring. Until then, be well.

Sincerely,Ellen BettridgeEllen Bettridge
Uniworld President & CEO

Edited by Enryon

36 minutes ago, stlrod said:

Yes they have updated it.  Suspended operations through 4/23.  Re-bookings only.  After 4/23, 14 days cancellations are re-bookings through 2021, no longer 1/2 refund and 1/2 future credit.

I was wrong.  I was told by Uniworld it is still 1/2 and 1/2 at the 14 day mark.

So, after Trump banned travel last night-I decided file a claim on my travel insurance. Figured nothing to lose for giving it a try. And now the announcement that my river cruise is officially cancelled (was supposed to sail on 3/31) seeing if the trip cancellation works. I just amended my claim to include this. 

I do know that the company I purchased with has a clause that says it won’t cover anything coronavirus with  policies purchased after 1/20/2020. I purchased mine 12/29/2019. Will see what happens. Worth a shot for a refund. Going to file one for my parents tonight. 

8 minutes ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

So, after Trump banned travel last night-I decided file a claim on my travel insurance. Figured nothing to lose for giving it a try. And now the announcement that my river cruise is officially cancelled (was supposed to sail on 3/31) seeing if the trip cancellation works. I just amended my claim to include this. 

I do know that the company I purchased with has a clause that says it won’t cover anything coronavirus with  policies purchased after 1/20/2020. I purchased mine 12/29/2019. Will see what happens. Worth a shot for a refund. Going to file one for my parents tonight. 

This implies you have decided that you wouldn't cruise in 2021.  Because IMO the better deal would be: (1) take Uniworld's offer of full credit to postpone, (2) take airline offers to waive change fees, (3) eat any minor remaining losses, and (4) roll the insurance policy over to your next trip so you don't even lose the insurance premium.

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This implies you have decided that you wouldn't cruise in 2021.  Because IMO the better deal would be: (1) take Uniworld's offer of full credit to postpone, (2) take airline offers to waive change fees, (3) eat any minor remaining losses, and (4) roll the insurance policy over to your next trip so you don't even lose the insurance premium.

Well, I cancelled on Monday and was told that I will lose $450 since my air ticket was already ticketed.  I bought a private insurance policy so don't think it will roll over.  So right there I'm out $700. The other misc. cancel charges are around $400 (which I will lose no matter what comes of this.)  The big problem is that I'm traveling solo with my parents.  If you don't catch a sale solo prices are ridiculous. So, I would rather have the money and be able to book a solo rate with whomever offers a sale with where we want to go. I love Uniworld but  I can't afford a cabin that is double price so it makes me a little nervous just to have a credit.  With all of these cancellations who knows what prices will be next year.  We are planning on rebooking.

On the same note.  We had originally booked with Vantage because I could get a single cabin.  Vantage ended up cancelling us because they chartered the ship for my sailing date.  It had worked out really well becuase I got a better rate and a longer cruise with uniworld. And it sounds like Vantage did not step up to the plant with this issue.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

Well, I cancelled on Monday and was told that I will lose $450 since my air ticket was already ticketed.  I bought a private insurance policy so don't think it will roll over.  So right there I'm out $700. The other misc. cancel charges are around $400 (which I will lose no matter what comes of this.)  The big problem is that I'm traveling solo with my parents.  If you don't catch a sale solo prices are ridiculous. So, I would rather have the money and be able to book a solo rate with whomever offers a sale with where we want to go. I love Uniworld but  I can't afford a cabin that is double price so it makes me a little nervous just to have a credit.  With all of these cancellations who knows what prices will be next year.  We are planning on rebooking.

On the same note.  We had originally booked with Vantage because I could get a single cabin.  Vantage ended up cancelling us because they chartered the ship for my sailing date.  It had worked out really well becuase I got a better rate and a longer cruise with uniworld. And it sounds like Vantage did not step up to the plant with this issue.  

That all makes sense for this trip.  But for future reference, check your private insurance policy – we have been able to roll over Allianz Journey Plan policies when we cancelled trips without making a claim.

18 hours ago, kent9xxx1 said:

they should do full refund like Vikings, or offer larger FCC.  This is ridiculous.  Why would the money be tied up?

Clearly they have had someone well-versed in "legal speak" counsel them on this letter. I suppose since they are "suspending operations" they aren't "canceling."  Honestly, I think this could be easily challenged, as below is their policy for cancellations under their current terms and conditions.

Advanced, Canceled, or Delayed Sailing: Uniworld reserves the right to cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled sailing date and may, but is not obligated to, substitute hotels or vessels. Uniworld shall not be liable for any loss to you by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement. In the event of cancellation by Uniworld, your sole right of recourse shall be to obtain a refund of monies paid to Uniworld in connection with such cruise-tour.

1 hour ago, acwmom said:

Clearly they have had someone well-versed in "legal speak" counsel them on this letter. I suppose since they are "suspending operations" they aren't "canceling."  Honestly, I think this could be easily challenged, as below is their policy for cancellations under their current terms and conditions.

Advanced, Canceled, or Delayed Sailing: Uniworld reserves the right to cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled sailing date and may, but is not obligated to, substitute hotels or vessels. Uniworld shall not be liable for any loss to you by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement. In the event of cancellation by Uniworld, your sole right of recourse shall be to obtain a refund of monies paid to Uniworld in connection with such cruise-tour.

My TA called them and they won't rebook to a later time unless we are paying the difference.  

If so, what's stopping them from cancelling and forcing you to pay more in the future for all cruises.  

21 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

My TA called them and they won't rebook to a later time unless we are paying the difference.  

If so, what's stopping them from cancelling and forcing you to pay more in the future for all cruises.  

I currently don't have a cruise booked with them, but my TA would be raising h$*l if there wasn't a refund option. It sounds like they are screwing their clientele, either way (paying the difference or raising prices)  Their current leadership has been disappointing, not only re: this situation, but over the past few years in general.

11 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

EXACTLY!!!! I booked under a single rate.  If I book the same cruise next year my rates are ridiculous.  So, I wonder if there will be any discounting next year as they need to make up for their losses.  I really thought if they cancelled the cruise you were due a refund.  So, I went ahead and filed a claim with my travel insurance-will see what comes of that.  I bought the policy before they put in a coronavirus exclusion.  If I don't get my money back from the insurance than what good is the trip cancellation portion of the insurance??? My parents bought the uniworld insurance. I'm in the processes of filing a claim for them.  

2 minutes ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

EXACTLY!!!! I booked under a single rate.  If I book the same cruise next year my rates are ridiculous.  So, I wonder if there will be any discounting next year as they need to make up for their losses.  I really thought if they cancelled the cruise you were due a refund.  So, I went ahead and filed a claim with my travel insurance-will see what comes of that.  I bought the policy before they put in a coronavirus exclusion.  If I don't get my money back from the insurance than what good is the trip cancellation portion of the insurance??? My parents bought the uniworld insurance. I'm in the processes of filing a claim for them.  

See post #60 above, I quoted their terms and conditions re: if they cancel.

Robin

34 minutes ago, acwmom said:

See post #60 above, I quoted their terms and conditions re: if they cancel.

Robin

I did and the last line stated "In the event of cancellation by Uniworld, your sole right of recourse shall be to obtain a refund of monies paid to Uniworld in connection with such cruise-tour..So shouldn't we get a refund instead of a credit?

6 minutes ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

I did and the last line stated "In the event of cancellation by Uniworld, your sole right of recourse shall be to obtain a refund of monies paid to Uniworld in connection with such cruise-tour..So shouldn't we get a refund instead of a credit?

Well, crafty Ellen and the legal team wrote "suspended" operations, which they feel isn't the same as "canceling"  

8 minutes ago, acwmom said:

Well, crafty Ellen and the legal team wrote "suspended" operations, which they feel isn't the same as "canceling"  

They "suspended" operations, but there is no getting around the fact that they "cancelled" each individual cruise in that period.

• Like 1

From a German customer's point of view I can only frown at the conduct of Uniworld. All other cruise lines that you great people out there posted the conditions of, are doing the only right thing in my opinion: either generous credit for a future cruise in the far distance as regards time frame or refund.

It has been mentioned a few times over the last year or so that something is "not right" with Uniworld and I am more and more inclined to agree.

All the best to you in your dealings with Uniworld, hope you get satisfactory outcomes.

notamermaid

20 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Paul, naming TA's is against CC policy...….but to answer your question without naming them again, call them

directly.  

Sorry for the error in posting.  Unable to edit changes.

The reason I ask is I am unable to reach my TA via phone.  Get recording to call back.   Paul

Well, you could call the cruise line but they may tell you that your TA has to be the one to help you. Normally

when using a TA,  you have to deal with them directly.

Refunds are possible!

I just heard from my TA who spent the day on the phone trying to get clarification about the latest cancellation policy. Eight of us were booked on a cancelled  April cruise. 
Uniworld just confirmed ‘We are offering passengers to move to another 7 days cruise with a price protection for 2020 or 2021 except for the month of September.  Or passengers can cancel with a full refund’   

Details regarding airfare and other expenses will be determined in a few days. 
I am not certain if this only applies to cruises cancelled by Uniworld. 

Edited by BarbaraB2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, coevan said:

which still do not cover force majeure, read the fine print

coevan;  cancel for any reason means I could cancel my trip for any reason; has nothing to do with the cruise line not expecting Covid-19.  Someone can pay extra to have a cancel for any reason policy