Uniworld Cancel Policy Update - COVID-19

iMarco46

12 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

coevan;  cancel for any reason means I could cancel my trip for any reason; has nothing to do with the cruise line not expecting Covid-19.  Someone can pay extra to have a cancel for any reason policy

I think it means cancel for any reason except for act of god, act of war, force majeure.  Those things happen? Insurance is out the window.  

11 hours ago, BarbaraB2 said:

Refunds are possible!

I just heard from my TA who spent the day on the phone trying to get clarification about the latest cancellation policy. Eight of us were booked on a cancelled  April cruise. 
Uniworld just confirmed ‘We are offering passengers to move to another 7 days cruise with a price protection for 2020 or 2021 except for the month of September.  Or passengers can cancel with a full refund’   

Details regarding airfare and other expenses will be determined in a few days. 
I am not certain if this only applies to cruises cancelled by Uniworld. 

So, Barbara82-were you able to rebook or get a refund???

6 minutes ago, BarbaraB2 said:

I will be asking for a refund and will confirm it here once it is finalized.

Did you purchase the Uniworld Travel Protection Plan at time of booking? thanks

BarbaraB2-I want to shout out to you a BIG BiG THANK YOU!!!!!! I booked via a TA but cancelled my 3/31 cruise with them for a FCC on Monday. I was able to call Uniworld directly and asked if I could get a refund instead.  The agent looked to see if the certificate had been issued (I assume it hadn't) She gave me/parents a FULL REFUND!!!!  They aren't even charging the $450 because the air part had been ticketed.  She even said my parents will get the there cost of insurance back (I booked private insurance).  She said it will take a few weeks to get the refund.  I'm so relieved.  I booked a solo cabin and caught a good price.  Now this lets me have the flexibility of looking for waived solo supplements!!!

And-I had booked the Anne Frank house and assuming I was going to just loose that but just received a email that it is closed on the day I was going so they are issuing a refund.  So after all of this we are only going to be out $450-can handle that.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

BarbaraB2-I want to shout out to you a BIG BiG THANK YOU!!!!!! I booked via a TA but cancelled my 3/31 cruise with them for a FCC on Monday. I was able to call Uniworld directly and asked if I could get a refund instead.  The agent looked to see if the certificate had been issued (I assume it hadn't) She gave me/parents a FULL REFUND!!!!  They aren't even charging the $450 because the air part had been ticketed.  She even said my parents will get the there cost of insurance back (I booked private insurance).  She said it will take a few weeks to get the refund.  I'm so relieved.  I booked a solo cabin and caught a good price.  Now this lets me have the flexibility of looking for waived solo supplements!!!

And-I had booked the Anne Frank house and assuming I was going to just loose that but just received a email that it is closed on the day I was going so they are issuing a refund.  So after all of this we are only going to be out $450-can handle that.  

I am sooo happy that everything worked out for you!  I also felt a great relief when I heard I was getting a refund.
Radioman, I purchased Uniworld ‘Cancel for any Reason’ insurance which has nothing to do with the refund. I expect to be reimbursed for the cost, which is the usual policy when Uniworld cancels.

I purchased  from a TA a River cruise in late May with air and Uniworld Travel Protection Plan insurance.

My question

Cancel now within the 59 to 30 days window and receive 50% cancellation  charges (will receive FCC, I think) or wait until May and see what Uniworld does? 

Any thinking on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks

A very  tough decision that I also struggled with making. In the end, with encouragement from our TA, we decided to take our chances with a Uniworld cancellation. It appears to have worked to our benefit. However, since your cruise is late May I’m not sure I would take the chance. I would wait until the last minute and find out exactly what I stand to lose before pulling the trigger.

Good luck!

Edited by BarbaraB2

It’s official! 

Uniworld will refund ALL money paid for air, cruise, pre-night hotel, and travel protection since they cancelled the sailing. Keep in mind that all the above was purchased through Uniworld.
They will also issue a future cruise credit, if you prefer.
  • Like 1

We are also booked with Uniworld for the end of May. Our insurance policy does not cover epidemics but it does cover cruise cancellation. Since our cruise has not been cancelled or postponed as of yet,  I think if we cancel now with Uniworld we will lose more money than if we wait and see. At 30 days out from our cruise we can cancel for a penalty of about $400 plus a couple which I believe will get rolled over to a FC. So I want to wait and see how Uniworld handles things going forward as I may want a full refund and not a FCC. If Uniworld has to postpone further into May or June we stand a better chance of getting a refund at that time. We will wait and see at this point!

We have shifted our "Grand France" cruise to 2021.  Uniworld was very accommodating in working that with our TA.  We booked air separately direct with American Airlines.  had to cancel that today - at high cost.  Just when the airlines are asking the American taxpayer to bail them out to the tune of $50billion, at the same time they continue to screw that same taxpayer and traveler with exorbitant fees.  Cost us $900 each to cancel.  No bumping the same flights into 2021 since it was longer than 330 days out.  No consideration for the needed change being COVID-19 related and France is almost closed.  Zippo.  Just "canceled" and pay the fine/fee for canceling.  The remainder back to the credit card at some point.  Not happy that American Airlines refused to even consider any accommodation.  Obviously will not schedule flights with American for the 2021 river cruise.

Ride-The-Waves;  why didn't American Airlines just give you airline credit back to your account and when you book your next flight you use the credits.  This is what Delta is doing with most all of its passengers.  Delta's policy was $300 change fee per ticket for int'l; but they are waiving change fees pretty much for everyone

Edited by AF-1
added txt

45 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

We have shifted our "Grand France" cruise to 2021.  Uniworld was very accommodating in working that with our TA.  We booked air separately direct with American Airlines.  had to cancel that today - at high cost.  Just when the airlines are asking the American taxpayer to bail them out to the tune of $50billion, at the same time they continue to screw that same taxpayer and traveler with exorbitant fees.  Cost us $900 each to cancel.  No bumping the same flights into 2021 since it was longer than 330 days out.  No consideration for the needed change being COVID-19 related and France is almost closed.  Zippo.  Just "canceled" and pay the fine/fee for canceling.  The remainder back to the credit card at some point.  Not happy that American Airlines refused to even consider any accommodation.  Obviously will not schedule flights with American for the 2021 river cruise.

AA already cancelled most of their long haul flights except for 3 (DFW-NRT, DFW-LHR and one more)  you can use that excuse to cancel or wait a little to cancel.  No reason to cancel so early.  

5 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

AA already cancelled most of their long haul flights except for 3 (DFW-NRT, DFW-LHR and one more)  you can use that excuse to cancel or wait a little to cancel.  No reason to cancel so early.  

Saw that.  This itinerary was MIA-CDG-MIA sandwiching the 14-day river cruise.  

Maybe American will refund the remaining $1800 when they get their share of the $50Billion...  Not holding my breath!

14 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Saw that.  This itinerary was MIA-CDG-MIA sandwiching the 14-day river cruise.  

Maybe American will refund the remaining $1800 when they get their share of the $50Billion...  Not holding my breath!

Airlines only open their schedule 330-350 days out.  So they cannot possibly book something in 2021 outside of that window.  

The best course of action would be to wait until they cancel it themselves, then you request they refund the entire amount.  There is no reason you should go and cancel and pay the fine now when you have plenty of time to do so in the future without incurring any additional loss.

Over and over I'm seeing that people who can't stand the suspense and cancel are screwing themselves.  Wait until the cruise line cancels and the airline cancels, then you are in the best position to get your money back.

Exactly.

American isn't even flying to continental Europe right now.  They're operating one flight/day DFW-LHR and one from MIA-LHR.  That's it.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Announces-Additional-Schedule-Changes-in-Response-to-Customer-Demand-Related-to-COVID-19-031420-OPS-DIS-03/default.aspx

Europe, phased suspension
American will continue to operate one flight daily from DFW to LHR and MIA to LHR
Suspending flights from New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), and LAX to LHR gradually over the next seven days to reaccommodate passengers and crew
LHR, Dublin (DUB) and Manchester (MAN) flights from Charlotte (CLT), Philadelphia (PHL) and Phoenix (PHX) will be suspended faster, as these airports are not approved gateways by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Final eastbound flights from CLT, PHL and PHX will be on March 15; final westbound flights returning from LHR, DUB and MAN will depart March 16
Continued suspensions in other parts of Europe, as previously announced, including the delayed start of some seasonal routes as well as flights to and from Amsterdam (AMS), Barcelona (BCN), Frankfurt (FRA), Madrid (MAD) and Munich (MUC) Paris (CDG) and Zurich (ZRH) through early May, or later, based on guidance from the U.S. government and customer demand

There's no advantage to cancelling an airline reservation sooner rather than later.

I'm pretty disappointed (perhaps even angry) over Uniworld's handling of this. 

We were a group of 10 booked 4/30 for the Douro cruisetour.  When we asked about options for canceling, we were never told we could rebook in 2020 for the same price. After we canceled for 1/2 refund and 1/2 credit, we learned  that we could have and every Fall cruise is now booked (except the last one in November.)   I was told to go at the same time next year, we would have to pay the not inconsequential price difference because  "the VP" has said no price protection for 2021 cruises.  We would have to go in early March to get the same price. 

At this point, I have only taken a river cruise on Tauck and very much regret ever suggesting to my friends that we try a different line.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed the cruise gets canceled by Uniworld since they have said we would get a complete refund if that happens.   So many other cruise lines seems to be offering a 125% credit which if Uniworld did would take care of the price difference.  I hope when all is said and done, "the VP" learns a lesson or two. 

Edited by stlrod
  • Like 1

I didn't even know about that option either.  I specifically asked if they would re-accommodate us in the summer without repriced and they said no.  I asked my TA to call and plead with them and they said no.  

At that point, when I learned I could get a refund, I got a refund.  No more dealing with this nonsense moving forward.  

I blame the upper management for not coming out with a more favorable resolution until the absolute last minute.  By then, it is already too late.  They could have kept our money and let us go another time, instead, they hesitated and then when we changed our mind, they changed their mind.  

Kent9xxx1, please email customer service and let them know your thoughts. 

Tikiislandgirl, I was told yesterday about the 1/2 refund that it wouldn’t be processed until next week.  

Edited by stlrod

Uniworld posted this on March 18.  I notice they did not offer a cash refund.

All Egypt itineraries have been suspended through April 25th. If you have a booking on one of these suspended voyages, please know that you may rebook your travel dates to any 2020 or 2021 cruise or receive a Future Cruise Credit eligible to be used during the next 24 months.