Uniworld Cancel Policy Update - COVID-19

iMarco46

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

This contract states if guest cancels;  it does not mention if the cruise is cancelled by cruise line

AF-1 what I posted is from Travel information section of Uniworld  web site under the tab Already booked.

https://www.uniworld.com/en/already-booked/travel-information/

The old TC states you get your money back if Uniworld canceled.   See below..

Under the new TC it states:

Advanced, Canceled, or Delayed Sailing: Uniworld reserves the right to cancel, advance, postpone or modify scheduled departure, return or itinerary dates, as well as locations, events and schedules, and may, but is not obligated to, substitute, vary, alter, reschedule, cancel and/or relocate any accommodations, vessels, modes of transportation and other aspects of the vacation. Uniworld is authorized to take these actions due to causes or circumstances of any kind or nature beyond Uniworld’s control, or causes or circumstances within Uniworld’s control that Uniworld deems to make such actions appropriate. Uniworld will not be liable for cancelation, delay, rescheduling or other adjustment or impact to a departure or itinerary, or other aspects of the vacation brought about due to force majeure or other circumstance beyond its control that prevents or interferes with any aspect of the cruise-tour, also including governmental and administrative actions. Uniworld is not responsible for other travel arrangements affected due to our cancelations or changes and is not liable for any cancellation or change costs or penalties incurred on other travel arrangements, including air tickets.

The old TC:

"Advanced, Canceled, or Delayed Sailing: Uniworld reserves the right to cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled sailing date and may, but is not obligated to, substitute hotels or vessels. Uniworld shall not be liable for any loss to you by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement. In the event of cancellation by Uniworld, your sole right of recourse shall be to obtain a refund of monies paid to Uniworld in connection with such cruise/tour. "

Edited by radioman

radioman:  We told our TA to pull the plug last week.  We went back and forth a bit and then she said we should hold off to see if they cancel.  She said from what she has been seeing she "thought" we may get full refund if they cancel the cruise.  However, we will not want to go past the 50% FCC/ 50% refund point.  The only reason we will do the 50/50 is that we will not lose our insurance, it can be transferred to the next trip.  Of all the money and deposits we will only lose $400, unless of course we are still in this disaster next year.  In that case we will use the CA insurance.  

My experience, for what it's worth: my husband and I had booked and paid in full for our 11 day trip leaving on April 20th from Amsterdam back in October, directly with Uniworld.  I booked my flights separately and did not take out travel insurance.  As we are young and healthy (and stubbornly attached to our vacations/money), we held out with plans on travelling if the ship left the port.  Unfortunately, it was not to be and I started processing my stages of vacation grief. 

Since the announcement that our trip was "suspended", calling Uniworld had been on my ever growing to-do list.  Much to my surprise, on March 30th Uniworld CALLED ME to discuss my options.  I was left a voicemail with an extension to reach back out to, which I did today with zero wait time.  I was told I can rebook the same trip (route, ship, room class) for any time in 2020 or 2021 (except September) without having to pay any price difference.  My other option was a FCC for 110% what I had paid which could be used through 2022.  They did not mention a refund and I did not ask for one (for a host of reasons).

I was pleasantly surprised with these options (maybe because everything else in the world seems so disappointing?) - we booked, in my opinion, a comparably inexpensive trip and would be able to get a trip worth easily $2000 more with the "price protection".  Alternatively, the extra 10% credit would allow us to travel at the same time and upgrade our stateroom category.  I had not heard about this "FCC bonus" coming from Uniworld, as I had with other lines, but am pleased that they've fallen in line.

This would have been our first river cruise and long awaited honeymoon, which we plan on taking next year at either a more expensive time or in a nicer room - but, with everything, I'm pleased that Uniworld has offered a little something to "sweeten the pot" and look forward to experiencing their product in the (hopefully) near future.

We have 2-leg France Uniworld cruises embarking May 10. France is shut down until at least May 11th. Our Air France Flight leaving May 3 has been cancelled but return flight on May 27 is not. We have heard nothing from Uniworld or our travel agent. Uniworld also booked our flights but only found out about the cancelled flight by logging into Air France website. We are so disappointed in the lack of communication from Uniworld. My guess is that they want us to be the ones to cancel. We have never sailed with Uniworld before but our opinion of them has gone downhill fast. If we don’t get a refund we will fight it. 

1 hour ago, stlrod said:

Has anyone actually seen any money back?  We haven not.

No we haven't either.  I was initially told it would be 2 weeks-than 3-4 weeks and than 4-6 weeks.  It's been 4 1/2 weeks.  I'm trying to be patient but with their ever changing "policies" I'm hoping they will issue a refund like I was told.  I have nothing in writing  only verbally over the phone.  My cruise was scheduled to leave on 3/31.  

29 minutes ago, radioman said:

Uniworld states there is a $450 penalty if your tickets were issued.  Is there anyway to check to see if the tickets were really issued?

The airlines are changing there cancellation policies.

Just added:

Since the airlines have canceled many flights and did not rebook, tickets may not have been issued.

21 minutes ago, radioman said:

Uniworld states there is a $450 penalty if your tickets were issued.  Is there anyway to check to see if the tickets were really issued?

The airlines are changing there cancellation policies.

I'm assuming tickets are issued if your able to log into your airline account and the flights are there. 

21 minutes ago, stlrod said:

Thanks TikiIslandGirl.

I've decided to issue a chargeback through Chase. Uniworld's non-responsiveness has been deplorable. 

I'm going to give them a little more time.  If I don't have a refund by 6 weeks than I'm do the same thing with my cc.

8 minutes ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

I'm assuming tickets are issued if your able to log into your airline account and the flights are there. 

I did what you said.  I only see one flight Paris to Switzerland.  Flights Detroit to Paris are missing and flights from Amsterdam to Detroit are missing.  

So were tickets issued?  Do I pay the $450 air fare penalty?

Just now, radioman said:

I did what you said.  I only see one flight Paris to Switzerland.  Flights Detroit to Paris are missing and flights from Amsterdam to Detroit are missing.  

So were tickets issued?  Do I pay the $450 air fare penalty?

This is what I was told by Uniworld (who knows if it is correct since I haven't seen a refund). Initially since I was supposed to be on a early season cruise and they hadn't started to outright cancel cruises yet-they were saying you could cancel for a FCC minus the $450 airline ticket penalty. So I went ahead and did this. 2 days later they completely cancelled.  I called and was able to change from a FCC to a  refund and was told I won't have to pay the $450 penalty and would also be refund the cost of Uniworld insurance. So, if you see a flight that I think it is safe to assume that you airfare was ticketed.  I cancelled before the 3/27 update when their terms said a full refund if they cancel the cruise. 

I decided to call to check up on my refund.  Still told that I'm getting a full refund but now it is taking 6-8 weeks. And they are supposedly going by date of cancellation.  They sure will take your money quickly but will make you wait to get it back. I cancelled on 3/14.

Uniworld made my air line reservation for my May 20 cruise.

I checked with Delta airlines and they said all my international flights have been canceled.

I ask my TA to have Uniworld calculate my cash and FCC refunds if I cancel.  I was told that there is a $450 penalty for my airfare per person since my tickets were issued.

How can Delta say all my international flights were canceled but Uniworld is going to charge me $450 penalty per person?

Any advice?

3 minutes ago, radioman said:

Uniworld made my air line reservation for my May 20 cruise.

I checked with Delta airlines and they said all my international flights have been canceled.

I ask my TA to have Uniworld calculate my cash and FCC refunds if I cancel.  I was told that there is a $450 penalty for my airfare per person since my tickets were issued.

How can Delta say all my international flights were canceled but Uniworld is going to charge me $450 penalty per person?

Any advice?

I booked with a TA but once I cancelled I have been able to talk directly with uniworld. My flights were with BA and have been told that I don't have to pay the $450 penalty. I wonder if it depends when you cancelled and with Uniworld changing their policies on the fly. Or it is normally a $450 fee and that's what the TA is quoting you. Did you ask your TA to ask Uniworld if the penalty is waived or are they really charging you the fee?  My TA told me the same but when I actually talked to Uniworld myself they said no penalty.

23 hours ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

I booked with a TA but once I cancelled I have been able to talk directly with uniworld. My flights were with BA and have been told that I don't have to pay the $450 penalty. I wonder if it depends when you cancelled and with Uniworld changing their policies on the fly. Or it is normally a $450 fee and that's what the TA is quoting you. Did you ask your TA to ask Uniworld if the penalty is waived or are they really charging you the fee?  My TA told me the same but when I actually talked to Uniworld myself they said no penalty.

Thanks.

My TA said they asked Uniworld if the tickets were issued.  Uniworld told my TA the tickets were issued.  Received a email from airlines saying all my flights are cancelled.

I will wait until I cancel and speak with Uniword direct.

BTW:

My TA said Uniworld cancelled river cruise to May 20.

• 2 weeks later...

We were scheduled to leave Budapest June 14.  We waited for Uniworld to cancel. I have been following this thread and just talked with my TA.   She said they we’re doing the three options. 50-50 cruise credit/money back or 110% cruise credit or rebook with price protection, same for same.

I told her about the change in the terms and conditions and that  I had a copy of the terms and conditions when I gave them my $8000+ back in January ( our mutual contract) Even if they agree to give me my money back,  I am unwilling to wait 6 to 8 weeks while they hold onto my $8000. I am seriously considering disputing it with Citibank.

STLROD- any insight?   Did you get your money back?  Any word from Uniworld?  What- will they blackball us?

Edited by Nursecruisers couple

2 hours ago, Nursecruisers couple said:

We were scheduled to leave Budapest June 14.  We waited for Uniworld to cancel. I have been following this thread and just talked with my TA.   She said they we’re doing the three options. 50-50 cruise credit/money back or 110% cruise credit or rebook with price protection, same for same.

I told her about the change in the terms and conditions and that  I had a copy of the terms and conditions when I gave them my $8000+ back in January ( our mutual contract) Even if they agree to give me my money back,  I am unwilling to wait 6 to 8 weeks while they hold onto my $8000. I am seriously considering disputing it with Citibank.

STLROD- any insight?   Did you get your money back?  Any word from Uniworld?  What- will they blackball us?

We are in the same "boat" as you.  Booked an expensive 2-week cruise through France for June which required full payment in January.  Uniworld offered the same options, primarily FCC.  However, Uniworld is a member of CLIA (as stated on their website), and CLIA is now recommending pre-screening with a physician to document pre-existing conditions.  Many of us over 70 have one or more of these conditions.  Those of us with "conditions" are unlikely to "get better" over the next year so FCC does little to no good.  We need refunds.  Uniworld is one business of "The Travel Corporation," a privately owned amalgamation of 30 travel related businesses, including lodging, tours, travel agencies, etc.  It is likely hemorrhaging money and Uniworld is seen as a "cash cow" within this group.  The last thing Uniworld/The Travel Corporation wants to do is refund monies already paid despite that very act that under new guidance many of us who are fully paid are unable to cruise under the new guidance.  The good news is that American Airlines refunded our full R/T fare within two weeks of the request.

CLIA has removed all mention of doctor's notes from their website, according to a report in another forum [and I looked through their website yesterday and couldn't find it either].  I believe that was strictly a COVID precaution, made moot by the total suspension of cruising.  When cruising opens up again I doubt that it will come back, because of the pushback (and evidence that it is very difficult to get their original draft letter signed by many doctors).

On 4/27/2020 at 11:29 AM, Nursecruisers couple said:

Even if they agree to give me my money back,  I am unwilling to wait 6 to 8 weeks while they hold onto my $8000. I am seriously considering disputing it with Citibank.

I've received a temporary credit from Chase and am waiting to see if it becomes permanent.  Our agent reached out to Uniworld Monday.  They are now saying another 4-6 weeks.  As for being blackballed, I don't care--I've already blackballed Uniworld.  The company's handling of this situation has been and remains beyond deplorable.  It was a huge mistake to stray from Tauck.

Edited by stlrod

36 minutes ago, stlrod said:

I've received a temporary credit from Chase and am waiting to see if it becomes permanent.  Our agent reached out to Uniworld Monday.  They are now saying another 4-6 weeks.  As for being blackballed, I don't care--I've already blackballed Uniworld.  The company's handling of this situation has been and remains beyond deplorable.  It was a huge mistake to stray from Tauck.

If you don't mind sharing, what words did you use with the credit card company to get a temporary credit.  Thanks

I have been waiting for the refund since March 17 when I was told that it would take two weeks. Since then, the time frame has continually lengthened and today I reached out to my TA and this was her response:

Uniworld told me it would take about 90 days, because everything needs to be submitted manually. Everyone is working from home, even the accounting department, so they are going through one booking at a time and required to fill out a paper refund request form to the credit card company.

Under the extraordinary  circumstances that we are all experiencing, I accept the explanation and will continue to be hopeful that eventually I will receive the refund. I can always appeal to my credit card company if I need to after 90 days.

So my travel agent said Uniworld would not give 100% refund.  She escalated it.  Still waiting to hear. In the meantime, British Airways GRACIOUSLY contacted us and gave us a 100% refund in 5 days.  
I just sent an email to my TA, if she doesn’t get anything from Uniworld- I am disputing it with Citibank.  I’d rather do it anyway and get my money faster.