Sooooo disappointed

mrobstad

I’m a longtime solo NCL cruiser, Latitudes member.  
When I booked my reservation a year ago, I used two cruise next deposits ($500), $300 credit card points, and got my fare down to $699 from about $1,500.  I’m now trying to switch to a $629 balcony room, and told I can’t do it because that’s a “sail away” price.
The cruise next deposits seem to vanish, once applied, so if a cruise is $1000, you use $500 as a deposit, the NCL agents just see that you paid $500, not the $1,000.

Additionally, you used to be able to upgrade your room if the price fell below what you paid.  But now I’m being told, I’d pay a cancellation fee and then I’d have to rebook as a new reservation at a much higher price.  
Another new policy is the one time only upgrade.  
I just don’t think this is how NCL wants to treat long time, non-valued Latitude members.  

OP doesn't say if this is before or after final payment (assuming after, due to the mention of a cancellation fee).  Until final payment, you can do anything you want with your reservation - no limit on the number of times, but it is always considered a re-booking and you may or may not get to keep your reservation #.  After final payment, any upgrades are a courtesy and the 1-time compensation (OBC, FCC, or upgrade) is pretty much a known policy, at least to anyone on CC.

I don't think your CN credits vanish (they haven't in my experience anyway) - and I've never heard of anyone mention trying to upgrade to sailaway.  But unless you have a sailaway now (highly unlikely if you booked a year ago), it would be considered a re-book because you would no longer be eligible for the perks associated with your original booking.

If you re-book your CN certificates would go back into your Latitudes account and you would have to call NCL Worldwide to get your points back.  If you want to upgrade, you have to go to something similar to what you had, not sailaway.

• Like 1

The upgrade rules of thumb seem to not apply when you're talking about switching between sailaway and regular fares. That's going to be your problem because NCL doesn't want people to switch to them for free for some reason. I'm guessing the non sailaway rate is too expensive? 

I also don't know if the credit card does anything to it. 

Cruise next shouldn't be a factor as I was able to upgrade it for free even though I used two - but it was from free at sea fare to free at sea.

I do not think it is your CN that goes away. However, your CC points do come off the price you paid for the cruise. That is what they see. If you were to go online to MyNCL look at your summary. It shows what you pd for your cruise fare minus CN & any other deposit. However, the cruise fare will have been brought down by the amount of the CC points. They use the CC points the same as if there was a discount on the fare when you booked. So, if original price was 1500 & you used 300 in CC points you pay 1200 on your cruise fare minus your deposit..Hope I explained that right. 

My understanding is that you can always pay for an upgrade after final payment. So, if a studio rate (before cruise next deposits) was $1,099, you need to upgrade to something that is more than $1,099. I believe they give inconsistent advice based on who answers the phone, so agree with the above poster who advised to call back. I hope you are able to get a satisfactory resolution.