Carnival Cabo resort excursions

kellyrand33

I have a Carnival cruise booked going to Cabo in Oct 2020, and I’m hoping someone has input on the carnival sponsored resort excursions. They have two listed in the cruise planner, but I’m not sure which to choose. Also, one says strictly no ocean swimming, but the other excursion mentions a roped off swimming area. Has anyone done these excursions? Or can someone tell me what resorts these excursions take place at? I’d love to do my own research on the resorts they use before I choose. If I knew the names, I’d be able to get a better idea for which works best for my group. 

The two listed on their Cruise Planner are:

-family beach resort with authentic Mexican buffet for $89.99

or

-all inclusive beach resort for $94.99

(this is the one that says no beach swimming)

I can't tell you the names of the resorts in question, but I can tell you for sure the resort locations so you can at least have an idea of where they are in Cabo. 

The resort that says absolutely no ocean swimming is going to be located on the Pacific side of the peninsula near a beach called Divorce Beach.  They are very nice resorts but the ocean on that side is very dangerous and seems to claim a couple of lives each year. 

The resort that indicates a roped off swimming area is going to be a Medano Beach which is located on the very calm Sea of Cortez side of the peninsula.  Hopefully someone will be able to give you the resort names.

Edited by 4hunters
Spelling

There are 4 resorts that probably offer day passes/excursions. The one that is mentioned as being on the Pacific side is probably Sandos Finisterra and they are right - absolutely NO SWIMMING on the Pacific Ocean side. Don't know anything about a roped off area for Medano Beach unless it is way down by Riu Santa Fe (more on that later). Two other resorts on Medano Beach are the Melia ME and Breathless (but not really on the beach). Melia ME is directly on the beach. Breathless (adults only) is actually at the marina entrance so no actual beach, just a pool I believe. So primarily you are looking at the Melia ME for both pool swimming and ocean swimming. RIU Santa Fe is much further down Medano Beach and it is hazardous to swim there as well from what I understand. RIU Santa Fe is not directly on the beach but sits behind the RIU Palace (a timeshare). There is probably a pathway from the Santa Fe that takes you down to the beach, but again, it's pretty rare that I hear of anyone being allowed in the ocean there. All the other resorts on Medano Beach are timeshares. If you want both ocean AND pool then you are probably looking at the Melia ME. If you just want ocean & sand, any of the beach bars/restaurants will provide you with a lounger for your patronage.

A primer on Cabo beaches. Other than Medano Beach, Chilano Bay, & Santa Maria Cove - there is basically no place where you can just wade into the ocean. Two factors: very dangerous rip currents and waves that form 10-20 feet out. There is virtually no continental shelf at the tip of Baja. You go from 2 feet of water to 20 feet (and deeper) very fast. It's almost like a complete dropoff. Hence the dangerous rip currents and rogue waves. Even walking along the shoreline on the Pacific side is dangerous because the waves can come out of nowhere.

A primer on the Mexican Riviera in Sept/Oct. Just like on the East Coast, the West Coast has hurricanes (July-Oct). Early in the season (July/Aug) the storms form off Acapulco and generally curve out into the Pacific Ocean. Around mid September, the curve reverses and instead of heading northwest, they head northeast. Most either fall apart or hit a fairly unpopulated area of Mexico as they move northwards. But occasionally one will hit around the area of PV, Maz, & Cabo. So you do have to be aware of the potential to miss a port of call. Cabo being a tender port - is the most likely. Most of the time, you will have a great cruise. But it is something to be aware of. October is hot and humid in the region.

Thank you for all the info! We’re sailing on Halloween so we’ll be in Cabo 2 days in early November, so hoping the weather is nice. I really appreciate all the info though. We’ll definitely take it into consideration. Thanks 

3 hours ago, SDPadreFan said:

The one that is mentioned as being on the Pacific side is probably Sandos Finisterra and they are right - absolutely NO SWIMMING on the Pacific

A couple of weeks ago we had a day pass through our cruise line at Solmar Resort, which is also on the Pacific side. No swimming in the ocean there either, obviously.

3 hours ago, SDPadreFan said:

Breathless (adults only) is actually at the marina entrance so no actual beach, just a pool I believe

We were there for a day last year. There's beach access on the side of the resort near their buffet restaurant that's perpendicular to the side that faces the marina. You just have to walk down some stairs from the swimming pool that's in that area.

13 hours ago, crossfitmama said:

We went to the Melia Me on Medano Beach, its $45 per person and includes a $30 credit for food and drinks, towels, pool/pool bar, lounges and towels etc. Beach was really nice  https://cabosanlucascruiseexcursions.com/excursions/cabo-san-lucas-resort-day-pass/

Awesome!! Thank you for the info! My boyfriend and I might just book this direct instead. We’re big walkers so transportation to the resort is not a deal breaker for us. Regardless, taxis seem affordable, so I think this may be the option for us. Thanks! 

10 hours ago, kellyrand33 said:

Awesome!! Thank you for the info! My boyfriend and I might just book this direct instead. We’re big walkers so transportation to the resort is not a deal breaker for us. Regardless, taxis seem affordable, so I think this may be the option for us. Thanks! 

Taxi's are definitely not affordable when compared to the rest of Mexico. There is a Taxi Cartel in Cabo and they pretty much control local government. Probably a 20 to 30 minute walk to the Melia ME. You could download an offline map of Cabo from Google while still at home and they work great in port. If you do take a cab (or much cheaper Uber). Make sure you tell them it is the Melia ME on Medano Beach. There is another Melia resort (called Melia Cabo Real) out on the tourist corridor that is much further away. And another, even further in San Jose del Cabo called Melia Paradisus Los Cabos.

If you want to get lunch at a great spot near the Melia ME and save your resort $30 for drinks, then I highly recommend Tacos Gardenias nearby. BEST fish tacos in Cabo in our opinion. We eat there every year and sometimes twice when we visit our timeshare (kind of an annual pilgrimage for us). Tacos Gardenias is kind of centered on this first map.

https://goo.gl/maps/qy67Rxt6UdA1CZii7

and

https://goo.gl/maps/AyUcNP8BYoooGibr5

Here is the walking route to the ME

https://goo.gl/maps/JjJGM5SQ6VyCRzkv7

Edited by SDPadreFan

Thank you for the info! We will more than likely walk. I should have specified, but if we do take a taxi, it would be a water taxi. They seem reasonably priced, and we don’t have mobility issues so getting in/out and in the water will not be an issue. I would prefer to walk, but we’ll wait to see how the weather is. Thanks for the taco Recommendation too. We’ll be in Cabo for 2 days, so plenty of time to try some good food!