Heathrow Or Gatwick?

I’ve tried a search here and a google search but most of the info is outdated.

So I ask the experts for their option - if the price and flight duration is comparable - is there a clear best option between arrival at one airport vs the other if the intent is to transfer directly to Southampton? 

Thanks so much for all the amazing information in this forum 

Edited by tanyaewa

If the flights are comparable, there is not a lot in it.

If you plan on using public transport to get to Southampton, you have a couple of choices that might affect your decision.

From LHR, the most practical way is to use the National Express coach. They pick up from T5, T4 and the Central Bus station (which serves T2&3...a 10 min walk) to Southampton coach station, which is walkable from most of the Southampton overnight hotels, or a short £7 cab hop. Price is usually around £15pp, but can be as low as £5pp if you're lucky. Trip takes just over 2 hrs.

From LGW, you have a choice. You can use either the NE coach (picks up from both North and South terminals). This, again is normally around £15, but takes about 3hrs. You can also get a direct train (if its not Sunday). Station is in the South terminal and Southampton Central station is again, a relatively easy walk from all the 'usual' hotels. Train is around £37, but again can be around £5 if you can get a deal (use the website below to check your planned day of travel, but you can only check/book up to 12 weeks in advance), but you have to get the specific timed train you book, so think about your timings! Journey time is about 2hrs.

https://book.nationalexpress.com

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk

Of course, you could always use a car service which is about £120 -£150/car.

Once you have decided, we can help you with more specific details.

Simon

• Thanks 1

There are pros & cons between the two airports, but little to choose.

So the short answer is usually "choose according to your preferred flight - airfare, departure airport, flight arrival time, and preferred airline, without worrying about which arrival airport".

Since you rate those factors as comparable, you've made Simon give the long answer :classic_smile:.

As per Simon's answer, differences are comparatively trivia.

But if it's not a sunday I think I'd choose Gatwick, then the direct hourly train from Gatwick's South Terminal to Southampton Central. 2-hour journey. Walk-up fares are currently  £37.50, but cheap Advance tickets (can be as low as £5)  are available from about 6 weeks out (check out a random weekday in March / April to see those Advance fares. But the cheap Advance tickets are only good for the train time that you select - miss it and the tickets are trash. So allow 90 to 120 minutes from scheduled landing time to train time. 

I don't recommend Gatwick for a sunday (no direct trains).

And by road  Gatwick is further & less convenient than Heathrow (coach or private transfer) - 2 hrs vs 90 minutes. Route also includes a chunk of the sometimes-log-jammed M25 London orbital road, compounded by long-term roadworks on the M23 north of Gatwick, though there are cross-country options. And if it is a sunday  road travel isn't usually problematic.

No sensible rail option from Heathrow, so choose National Express coach (again, allow 90 - 120 minutes from touchdown to coach) or private transfer. Private transfer from Heathrow should be south of £100, about £30 - £40 more from Gatwick.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

JB :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

Thanks so very much.  We are arriving on a Friday - mid morning and are staying at Pig in the Wall as per the great information available here.  It’s just the 2 of us so private transfer is too costly an option I think.  It usually pays off when we travel as 4

Edited by tanyaewa

Then pick the Gatwick flight. It's a smaller airport and the station is right in the South Terminal and there is a free shuttle from North. Allow yourself 90 minutes to get through the formalities and collect your luggage and book a train in advance.

Bon Voyage.

Edited by Bob++
  • Like 1

Agree with Bob. You will have plenty of time to do the train trip and should be able to pick a service that is ‘cheap’. It’s only a 10-15 minute walk from the station, so easy to do if it’s a nice day and you have rolling luggage.

Simon

I'd probably say Gatwick (the train is nice and easy), and that will also make the flight slightly less expensive as well. 

Assuming you're leaving from YVR,  AC and BA will be more expensive into LHR than TS and WS are into LGW.

I truly appreciate all the help! I’ve gone and booked the direct YVR to GAT flight that gets us in at 10:30am. I’ll book a train after noon.  

Where would you suggest we grab a bite to eat? We could take on the train right?

3 hours ago, tanyaewa said:

I truly appreciate all the help! I’ve gone and booked the direct YVR to GAT flight that gets us in at 10:30am. I’ll book a train after noon.  

Where would you suggest we grab a bite to eat? We could take on the train right?

Since the train leaves from the airport itself, you are limited to airport outlets.

For carry-out I'd rate Marks & Spencer's "Simply Food" food hall as the best bet by far for quality & value. (sandwiches, wraps, etc)

Their outlets are in the Arrivals Halls of both North and South terminals

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tanyaewa said:

LGW/London Gatwick. 

You'll want to book a train around noon, and book those train tickets about 8 weeks out. While rail tickets are available, the best discounts are generally around the 8 week out point.

Did you pick Transat or Westjet ?

Further to JB's reply, it looks like on Arrivals side of the airport, your choice is M&S or Costa coffee. What a choice!! If you follow this link, there are pdf maps of North and South terminals...arrivals area is the 3rd to last map in each set. Don't forget, the railway station is in the south terminal and there is a free transfer 'train' between terminals.

https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-services/airport-maps/

Simon

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scottbee said:

LGW/London Gatwick. 

You'll want to book a train around noon, and book those train tickets about 8 weeks out. While rail tickets are available, the best discounts are generally around the 8 week out point.

Did you pick Transat or Westjet ?

Oops LGW - sorry.

and we booked through WestJet as I find them very reliable, we have a credit card points card and we get free luggage.  

Thanks for the tip on timing for ticket purchase.  You all have been a huge help! 

If anyone ever comes to the west coast of Canada and up to Whistler on a bucket list trip I’m happy to help?! Although Scottbee is likely an expert at that as well 

On 3/1/2020 at 10:20 AM, sddsddean said:

Train is around £37, but again can be around £5 if you can get a deal (use the website below to check your planned day of travel, but you can only check/book up to 12 weeks in advance),

On 3/1/2020 at 11:35 AM, John Bull said:

the direct hourly train from Gatwick's South Terminal to Southampton Central. 2-hour journey. Walk-up fares are currently  £37.50, but cheap Advance tickets (can be as low as £5)  are available from about 6 weeks out

13 hours ago, scottbee said:

Some pretty mixed advice here!

OP,  your journey to Southampton will be in off-peak hours. The most you will pay for that direct service is the £17 off-peak single, which you can buy in advance or on the day. 

The cheap fares referred to are ‘Advance’ tickets, valid for a particular train time only. Southern, the train operator for the direct service, sells them for weekdays at 12 weeks out (currently to Friday 22 May - they will load weekly). The cheapest will be £5. 

The £37 fare referred to is for a route via London (changing at Clapham Junction), not the hourly direct service.  

• 10 months later...

When taking the train from Gatwick to Southampton is there a problem finding seats and getting luggage stored? We will be traveling in October on a Tuesday at approximately 2pm. I didn't know if the train fills up in London.

8 hours ago, artvlay said:

When taking the train from Gatwick to Southampton is there a problem finding seats and getting luggage stored? We will be traveling in October on a Tuesday at approximately 2pm. I didn't know if the train fills up in London.

The train is on what is essentially a commuter line, but as the commuters should all still be at work (assuming Covid is over by then!!!), you should have no problems. There will be no large luggage racks, but you will have overhead racks for carry ons and should be able to find a '2 facing 2' seat bay where you can sit with your luggage. You will probably be on a Class 377 like this:

Class 377/3 Train – Interior | The Anonymous Widower

'2 facing 2' seats are in the foreground.

Simon