55+ And I No Longer Feel The Need To.......

SargassoPirate

1 hour ago, BLITZMA said:

I am now a 70 year old widow and am planning my first solo cruise.  How do you pick a cruise where I  can meet similar people? 

Hi,🙂 it really depends on what type of cruise you are looking for.....I see in your signature, past cruises were on HAL, Crystal and Carnival.   There are solo folks who sail all 3 of those lines.  Crystal would be considered in the luxury category where as the other 2 have much larger ships and are considered mass market.  I am a bit younger than you and sail solo all the time. My preference is Silversea. They have smaller ships and are in the same category as Crystal. I would recommend them very highly.

(I am 63).

DH and I love cruising and are anxiously awaiting the next one which we hope will sail a year from tomorrow, taking us from Tokyo to Athens.

We are probably in the minority as we spend a lot of time on our balcony.  Love the sea air.  The only shows we go to are performing artists.  Love classical music.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 8:36 PM, baldilocks said:

We should start a 'curmudgeon group'. We have given up most 'rush to' activities. My transmission shifted into a lower gear when I reached my 70's. Still do things....but at a slower pace.

Lower gear and keeping a light touch on the throttle works for me.  Do a "project" every day and by the end of the week I have seven things checked off, where I used to cram it all into Saturday and not enjoy the weekends like I do now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Lower gear and keeping a light touch on the throttle works for me.  Do a "project" every day and by the end of the week I have seven things checked off, where I used to cram it all into Saturday and not enjoy the weekends like I do now.

Amen !!!

On 3/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, Lois R said:

Everyone is different, no matter what age----I am 61 but even when I was younger I never felt the need

to attend all the production shows.

We never felt the need but we always did.  Some better than others but elected the shows over going to the night club and drinking to the monotonous music.  I prefer the piano bar or a good guitarist, and the rare string performance.  And I'm not quite dead yet, I also like my 80's rock!

I hope no one minds me posting here now, technically I don't qualify for a couple more months.  My DH has been old enough for....many moons 🙂

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 9:21 AM, SargassoPirate said:

As I approach 70 and am still an avid cruiser, there are certain things that I used to think were almost mandatory or things that I would obsess about prior to the cruise.  I do still obsess about cabin location and whether there is a wrap-around promenade, but beyond that I'm pretty well satisfied by most any day on the ocean.  I no longer feel the need to.....

Be the first on or off the ship.  As long as I get on before the ship sails, I'm good.

Attend every production show.  I find most of them annoyingly over amplified anyway.

Use a lounger on the Melanoma Deck.  I enjoy a lounger on the promenade much more.

Get off the ship irn every Caribbean port.  Been there, and they all start to look alike anyway.

Use ship excursions.  Some of my best days have been walking around the port city and discovering a small coffee shop or cafe to enjoy.  Beats marching to the tour guide's clock on a crowded excursion bus.

Eat evening meals in the MDR.  I find it much more relaxed to eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR, and then have a light evening meal in the buffet.  Frees up a lot of m y time in the evening also.

To a youngster, I probably sound like an old curmudgeon, but one of the beauties of cruising is that you are free to enjoy the cruise and the ship in your own way.

How about you?

• 3 weeks later...

One great thing about getting older is that I do what I want when I want.  My DH and I sail very often.  We have things we enjoy and those not so much.  We like arriving at the port early and boarding early.  If we need to, we make spa appointments and speciality restaurant reserservations immediately.  We also do not like to eat picked over food at the buffet.  Although now, perhaps since covid not a issue anymore, but we like finding a comfortable table to relax at.  Now, most of our cruises are in suites, so we also go to the suite restaurant and lounge as soon as we board and the suite concierge makes our reservations.  

We typically go to all shows, especially on royal, but we sit in the back so we can make a quick getaway if the performs are stinkers- Hate juggling and repeated trapeze artists. We leave.  

We are early risers, and typically find a nice shaded spot by the pool or suite lounge to sit-   Rarely go on shore excursions, hate waiting in line for late comers to arrive.  I feel like I am in elementary school.  Most islands are the same- but we really prefer the caribbean climate in the winter and soft sandy beaches.  

Best thing about a cruise, especially on a big new ship, is the amount of choice available.  We only sail with close family and friends and we all do exactly what we want during the day and enjoy dinner together most nights.  I am and always have been independent.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

We also like to remain on the ship in ports we have been before or to walk around the port area enjoying the atmosphere.  Excursions at every port is way too tiring, so we like to just relax and enjoy the sights by wandering around.  Dining in the MDR for lunch and dinner is much more relaxing than battling the hordes in the buffet.  Breakfast usually is in the room with room service preferable on our balcony watching the sea or port arrivals.  Shows in the theater we usually miss in favor of either the piano bar, live rock band or single performers with string instruments.  

• Like 3

I'm 70, I cruise now for the "cruise" itself. The sea, the ship, relaxation. I'm not looking to be pampered, to be running around every second, or to be rushed. I cruise solo and I love it. I'm doing an 11 night southern Caribbean cruise out of NY Jan. 31, mainly for a winter break. I plan on just relaxing and enjoying myself. I'll eat when I want and get off the ship if I want at the ports. I will add a dining package for probably five nights because I do like premium restaurants. On April 2 I'm booked on a 15 night transatlantic cruise NY to Barcelona. Same thing although I'm sure I'll do more at the ports since I've never been.  I've learned you can make cruising as hectic as you want or as relaxing as you want. 

• Like 7

As I read your post, I felt like it was me writing it! Though I am approaching 75 (in a matter of a few days! 😔) I still love the sea and what a cruise offers. We probably do eat more meals in the MDR than other venues, still attend selected shows, and enjoy some of the activities, our most rewarding  things are late night strolls on the deck to admire God's creation, maybe an ice cream cone/dish, and the do it as we please activities. Hope we can continue to cruise well into the next age decade!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2020 at 2:40 PM, trivimp said:

🤣🤣🤣

This is me.  I always marvel at the chair-hog threads... because I'll be over there enjoying the sea breezes & my blender drink in the SHADE  

Me, too!  I'm fair skinned, so I was never big on sunbathing even when younger.  I love just sitting in a comfortable chair or chaise - with a book - and a cocktail.... preferably somewhere where you can look out on the ocean.

Speaking of that - for those that have been on the Oasis of the Seas since its refurbishment in 2019 - are there shaded areas in the Solarium where you can sit by a window and see the ocean?  Or are those just spots with glass above and no shade?  

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 6:21 PM, Sixtytwo said:

As I read your post, I felt like it was me writing it! Though I am approaching 75 (in a matter of a few days! 😔) I still love the sea and what a cruise offers. We probably do eat more meals in the MDR than other venues, still attend selected shows, and enjoy some of the activities, our most rewarding  things are late night strolls on the deck to admire God's creation, maybe an ice cream cone/dish, and the do it as we please activities. Hope we can continue to cruise well into the next age decade!

Happy Birthday to you!

• Like 2

I am you! 😁

We last sailed in 2017 until earlier this year. I didn't get off the ship a single time. I'm not a huge fan of heat and humidity and as I get older, I just won't fight it. We sail a 14 night cruise in two weeks. Seven of those are sea days, but I only have plans in a few of the ports.

I think the last time I was in MDR was in 2016. I still carry the obligatory dress on and off the ship, but I haven't used it in forever! 

We really never did the shows anyway, I'd rather curl up with a book or people watch.

I book a balcony for a reason. I spend time on it. Lots of time. I don't drink so hanging out at the bars isn't me in real life or onboard.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 9:21 AM, SargassoPirate said:

As I approach 70 and am still an avid cruiser, there are certain things that I used to think were almost mandatory or things that I would obsess about prior to the cruise.  I do still obsess about cabin location and whether there is a wrap-around promenade, but beyond that I'm pretty well satisfied by most any day on the ocean.  I no longer feel the need to.....

Be the first on or off the ship.  As long as I get on before the ship sails, I'm good.

Attend every production show.  I find most of them annoyingly over amplified anyway.

Use a lounger on the Melanoma Deck.  I enjoy a lounger on the promenade much more.

Get off the ship in every Caribbean port.  Been there, and they all start to look alike anyway.

Use ship excursions.  Some of my best days have been walking around the port city and discovering a small coffee shop or cafe to enjoy.  Beats marching to the tour guide's clock on a crowded excursion bus.

Eat evening meals in the MDR.  I find it much more relaxed to eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR, and then have a light evening meal in the buffet.  Frees up a lot of m y time in the evening also.

To a youngster, I probably sound like an old curmudgeon, but one of the beauties of cruising is that you are free to enjoy the cruise and the ship in your own way.

How about you?

I think you and I have the same person! I agree wholeheartedly.

• 2 weeks later...

…leave the cabin on rainy days.  40 cruises and much of what I cruise for at this point is time to read a good book or watch a good movie.  And meet interesting people.  But on nasty weather days I have no issue curling up in my cabin for long periods of time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, travellady said:

…leave the cabin on rainy days.  40 cruises and much of what I cruise for at this point is time to read a good book or watch a good movie.  And meet interesting people.  But on nasty weather days I have no issue curling up in my cabin for long periods of 

I'm 73 and I feel the Same way.It's the beauty of being sea  of being alone ,being able to do what you want. I still love to go on shore excursions if it's a country I've never been to before. And I like to go out during the day to a  movie on  board or in the evening at night to the show.  I love the afternoon tea. But that's it Pretty much it. I love to read as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sandrajean123 said:

I'm 73 and I feel the Same way.It's the beauty of being sea  of being alone ,being able to do what you want. I still love to go on shore excursions if it's a country I've never been to before. And I like to go out during the day to a  movie on  board or in the evening at night to the show.  I love the afternoon tea. But that's it Pretty much it. I love to read. ps..I love Rainy days. That's what I like to be on deck.

I have been on over 70 cruises and my favorite activity is to sit on my balcony or on the outside deck and read, take a nap and relax.  Most of the time my hubby and I don't even get off the ship, unless it is a port that we haven't visited and is very interesting.  March 20th can't come soon enough

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 1:17 AM, sandrajean123 said:

I'm 73 and I feel the Same way.It's the beauty of being sea  of being alone ,being able to do what you want. I still love to go on shore excursions if it's a country I've never been to before. And I like to go out during the day to a  movie on  board or in the evening at night to the show.  I love the afternoon tea. But that's it Pretty much it. I love to read as well.

I so understand.  I’m most at peace when on the sea!  There’s a club of us that fully understand it 😃

• Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 5:13 PM, travellady said:

I so understand.  I’m most at peace when on the sea!  There’s a club of us that fully understand it 😃

What a wonderful sentiment🙂.......I will be sailing on Dec 2nd and sitting out on the balcony, watching the wake is one of my most favorite things too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

What a wonderful sentiment🙂.......I will be sailing on Dec 2nd and sitting out on the balcony, watching the wake is one of my most favorite things too.

We’re right behind you!  Sailing the NCL Epic out of NYC To Puerto Rico Dec 5.  BTW Dec 2 is our wedding anniversary, a good day 😃.  

9 minutes ago, travellady said:

We’re right behind you!  Sailing the NCL Epic out of NYC To Puerto Rico Dec 5.  BTW Dec 2 is our wedding anniversary, a good day 😃.  

Happy Anniversary(a little early)😀