Camera ban in the mainstage?

For years, it was OK to take non flash pictures during guest entertainer shows in the mainstage.   The comedians, singers and musicians didn't mind and in many cases encouraged this.   HAL would announce that no pictures were allowed during the cast shows, but was silent on the guest entertainers.

This was the case on the ms Amsterdam for the first 50 days of the cruise, but they have recently been enforcing a strict no photo policy during all main stage events.  For a while they were not allowing pictures during guest lectures or cultural shows.   I was told they are simply enforcing company policy.

Occasionally people get carried away and block views using IPADs as cameras, but I haven't seen that here, at least during the late shows.

With my over 400 days on HAL ships, this is the first time anyone decided to enforce this policy.  

Has anyone seen a similar crackdown on other ships?  I wonder if they will prohibit picture taking in the BB King, Rolling Stone Rock Room or other venues.

This reminds me of the time I once took a very general photo of the Billboard Onboard area, and during her break, one of the piano players very rudely told me that I had no right taking her picture without getting her permission first.  I very politely informed her that she should get another job!  

• Like 2

HAL recently hired a director for Brand Communications, Seth Wayne, and seems to be promoting the use of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc.   Social Media is very dependent on pictures and restricting the ability for guests to take pictures may not be helping.   However, it can be annoying if you are sitting next to someone is a dark theater with a bright i-phone lighting up the room.

Maybe limit phone use to the balcony or  certain section of the theater or only allow cameras where you can turn off the screen and use the view finder.  I use a Sony A6300 which has a silent shutter, and emits no light while using.  

Live concerts used to try banning cameras, but now have largely given up, and allow most anything except professionals with long lenses.  

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

3 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

This reminds me of the time I once took a very general photo of the Billboard Onboard area, and during her break, one of the piano players very rudely told me that I had no right taking her picture without getting her permission first.  I very politely informed her that she should get another job!  

That's odd since many people (including me) have taken videos of the BBO performers with no complaints.

Could be that certain guest entertainers have a prohibition on allowing filming in their contract and are insisting that it be enforced.  There are intellectual property issues that can arise on many elements of a production.   Easiest to stop it for all shows than try to selectively enforce it. 

Also, even if you think you're being sneaky, it is highly annoying to those around you.  Just enjoy the show.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Also, even if you think you're being sneaky, it is highly annoying to those around you.  Just enjoy the show.

I find the practice to be annoying and often wonder: why is this performance "so special" that I would want to record it?

• Like 3

I enjoy taking photos during mainstage events.  Silent shutter, no flash, no videos, no lights from my camera.

My experience during the last thirteen years has been that only one popular Cruise Director has prohibited all photography during shows.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin

The performers who have CD's available for purchase may have something after a performance to do it the "recording or photograph taking", don't you think?  I sure sales are probably very low.

2 hours ago, bcummin said:

Any change in the policy on board ms Amsterdam?

Keep asking pointed questions.

Barbara

They say the  policy hasn't changed , but they just decided to start strictly  enforcing it on day 50 for  reasons unknown.    Oh well 

Still great cruise.   Moving on.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The camera ban might be because people use them to record performances, which is a violation of copyright laws. Every performance I went to had a "no recordings" warning before the performance began.

I noticed that warning last fall on the NS and Koningsdam.  I also noticed that people still recorded performances even after the warning. 🙄

Very interesting-just sailed the Nieuw Amsterdam and Celebrity Edge black to back last two weeks.  Never heard the no photography announcements on HAL (or maybe I just font pay attention). On Celebrity, they encouraged you to take pictures and share them on social media. 

Two different approaches I guess.