Beach for shell collecting

Worn out mailman

• 5 months later...

I can empathize with your girlfriend as growing up near the coast of NC, I loved to collect the shells (as well as the fossilized shark teeth) found on our coast. But when I mentioned my hobby years ago online, I was informed it is illegal to collect shells on many islands, even if they contain no critter.  I still see folks beach combing in the Caribbean but I would suggest you check out local ordinances first.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 3:24 PM, Worn out mailman said:

My lady is not content to lazily roast on the beach like I'm looking forward to doing. Has anyone been to a beach on the island where she can roam to and fro collecting shells? 

Thanks! 

Sorry for the late post, here's my 2-cents on collecting sea shells on St. Kitts. I'm not really sure I would do that. I've been to several of the real beaches on St. Kitts, yes the obvious Cockelshell beach is a wide beach with shells but you have to walk out there in heavy surf much of the time to find a nice shell.

Between getting swept away in open ocean and winding up either with a huge fine or in a St. Kittian jail. Forget the sea 🐚! I would be much more concerned with the tide on the south east side of the island where all the beaches are that have sea shells. I've seen them it's in no way worth walking out there and picking up a shell. 

Don't fall for it, that is a different kind of ocean, fall for it they'll never even start to look for you. You won't even get a wave goodbye. 

I'd pass on the sea shell adventure.

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2020 at 3:24 PM, Worn out mailman said:

My lady is not content to lazily roast on the beach like I'm looking forward to doing. Has anyone been to a beach on the island where she can roam to and fro collecting shells? 

Thanks! 

I haven't been on CC in a while - too depressing since we've had two cruises cancelled.  😉  Things could be worse, right?  As for shelling in St. Kitts, we've been there twice and two different beaches, Cockleshell (already mentioned) our first time and the next visit we spet several hours at Shipwreck Beach Bar/Grill which is on South Friars Bay.  At Cockleshell, there were lots of shells right on the beach.  There was a majority of one kind but if your gal likes shelling, then she'll find that there is a nice variety of smaller shells as well.  At Shipwreck, there weren't any on the beach but there were plenty in the water.  It was calm the day we were there and Shipwreck/South Friars is on the calm side of the island (Caribbean side).  There were plenty of shells in just a few feet of water and even some larger conch shells, but didn't take any of those since we flew to San Juan, PR, to board the ship and didn't want extra weight in the luggage.  I do not believe it's illegal to collect empty shells in St. Kitts as it is is in Grand Turk (marine reserve) and USVI (National Parks and marine reserves).  I don't know which other islands you'll be visiting on your cruise, but she could always look online to see whether collecting shells is legal or not.  The only issue would be getting beach collected shells back on the cruise ship.  Some cruise lines do not allow it and will confiscate when boarding the ship from ports.  Ship security can "see" them when you put your belongings through the x-ray scanners.  The last time we cruised in September 2015, Carnival still allowed it, so I had no issues.  Carnival changed their policy sometime in late 2016 or early 2017 and their spokesperson even announced it on his social media page, but did state if it was a purchase and receipt could be provided, they'd be allowed.  

• 3 weeks later...

I think we may be talking about two different types of sea shells. I'm referring to the ones that are actually worth bringing home. The big conch shells out off the beach about 30-40 yards. They're sitting in about 6 inches of sand and are still sitting out there for a very good reason.

Next time you're on the island head over to the Marriott walk north on the beach look out in the water and see all those conch shells sticking up out of the sand, go pick one up and let us know how it goes. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 11:01 AM, TTEllis said:

I think we may be talking about two different types of sea shells. I'm referring to the ones that are actually worth bringing home. The big conch shells out off the beach about 30-40 yards. They're sitting in about 6 inches of sand and are still sitting out there for a very good reason.

Next time you're on the island head over to the Marriott walk north on the beach look out in the water and see all those conch shells sticking up out of the sand, go pick one up and let us know how it goes. Thanks.

Yep, definitely think we are.  😉  Was thinking if the OP's lady wasn't picky and didn't mind the little ones on the beach that there were plenty.  I collected a small baggie of those and I really like them.  Have them with other memorabilia from those trips.