90 day Final Payment too risky right now IMO

NCL and Royal Caribbean have both made some modifications to their Cancelation policies in light of Coronavirus. It would really help if Carnival and the other cruise lines did the same! 

Currently, my DH is leaning toward us canceling our transatlantic on Carnival this summer because of the spread in Europe and the subsequent risk of being quarantined or denied entry into ports. Final Payment is due soon, but I could probably convince him to wait if Carnival adjusted their cancelation schedule. A lot could happen for the better or worse in the next few months. It would be really nice to not have to make the tough call right now. 

How does everyone else with spring/summer Europe cruises booked feel about this?

11 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Wouldn’t you get a refund if the cruise is canceled?

thats only if carnival cancels the cruise and so far there is no threat for carnival to cancel it to. the cruise should go on as scheduled with no issues

I'm on Radiance April 29. 3 stops in Italy, where travel advisories issued. We are far past 90 day. I  called Carnival yesterday, and was told they are assessing situation and will let us know soon. My flight is non refundable since we used travel rewards credit card. Really struck and we don't know what to do.

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

I'm on one of the transatlantic cruises to Europe. I've made final payment. I'm not afraid at this time. I also have cancel for any reason travel insurance just in case.

Cancel for any reason is helpful, and we considered that, but if you want cash back, it’s only 75% of your costs, so with a Europe cruise, there’s still a hefty loss. 

17 minutes ago, ober134 said:

I'm on Radiance April 29. 3 stops in Italy, where travel advisories issued. We are far past 90 day. I  called Carnival yesterday, and was told they are assessing situation and will let us know soon. My flight is non refundable since we used travel rewards credit card. Really struck and we don't know what to do.

Thank you for the update. I hope they make an announcement this week. You’re in a worse situation since yours is sooner. We are nonrefundable on our plane tickets, too and will have eat the change fees if it’s too risky to go. 

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

NCL and Royal Caribbean have both made some modifications to their Cancelation policies in light of Coronavirus. It would really help if Carnival and the other cruise lines did the same! 

Currently, my DH is leaning toward us canceling our transatlantic on Carnival this summer because of the spread in Europe and the subsequent risk of being quarantined or denied entry into ports. Final Payment is due soon, but I could probably convince him to wait if Carnival adjusted their cancelation schedule. A lot could happen for the better or worse in the next few months. It would be really nice to not have to make the tough call right now. 

How does everyone else with spring/summer Europe cruises booked feel about this?

I am not worried at all about my April Caribbean cruise, but i would cancel a European cruise for the summer if it was me.   I would hate to fly overseas to take a cruise to nowhere. 

12 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Cancel for any reason is helpful, and we considered that, but if you want cash back, it’s only 75% of your costs, so with a Europe cruise, there’s still a hefty loss. 

I read the entire policy. 75% is better than nothing.

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 2

We have three European trips planned for this summer.  2 cruises and a land trip in September.  Unless things really fall part (and I really do not think that will be the case) we are traveling.   Currently have two Caribbean cruises before that (one on the Magic on 3-14) and not worried at all about going.   

18 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

We have three European trips planned for this summer.  2 cruises and a land trip in September.  Unless things really fall part (and I really do not think that will be the case) we are traveling.   Currently have two Caribbean cruises before that (one on the Magic on 3-14) and not worried at all about going.   

I am currently not too concerned about my upcoming cruises in the Carribean either. However, I am paying attention (like most people) to see how many people are infected in the states. I am not worried about the virus from a health standpoint, but I wouldn’t want to end up on a ship that gets quarantined. It would take a lot for me to cancel upcoming cruises in the Carribean, but I am not ruling out that possibility. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am currently not too concerned about my upcoming cruises in the Carribean either. However, I am paying attention (like most people) to see how many people are infected in the states. I am not worried about the virus from a health standpoint, but I wouldn’t want to end up on a ship that gets quarantined. It would take a lot for me to cancel upcoming cruises in the Carribean, but I am not ruling out that possibility. 

There is no wrong answer here.  I understand the worry tied to being stuck on a ship at the end of the cruise.  

2 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

I read the entire policy. 75% is better than nothing.

You are also not paying to insure your port fees and taxes, those would be refunded to you anyways. If you at a high risk for cancelling, then get it. Otherwise, it is a waste of money to spend hundreds of dollars on insurance to one day maybe get 65-70% back of what you spent.

I am planning on going on the Legend out of Venice in September (not to mention the Caribbean in two weeks).

Listening to infectious disease experts, if this behaves as most viruses do (going back to the Spanish flu) the risk will not be there in summer.  Viruses like this tend to have wave 1 in winter (December-March) and then do die down in the warmer months.

The real concern will be how wave 2 picks up in Octoberish.  Wave 2 is often worse than wave 1.

Airlines have been announcing they are waiving fees to change flights. We canceled our round trip flights to Barcelona and had our points returned without fees. You might want to touch base with your airline to see what options you have. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

You are also not paying to insure your port fees and taxes, those would be refunded to you anyways. If you at a high risk for cancelling, then get it. Otherwise, it is a waste of money to spend hundreds of dollars on insurance to one day maybe get 65-70% back of what you spent.

Same risk with any travel insurance. Plus, it covers medical, loss baggage, etc.

17 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Same risk with any travel insurance. Plus, it covers medical, loss baggage, etc.

I think the poster you were quoting was talking specifically about cancel for any reason insurance.  As opposed to travel insurance without cancel for any reason. I don't think they were saying it was a waste of money to get travel insurance sans cancel for any reason.

I have actually booked several vacations the rest of this year, and next year through Carnival.  I refuse to be scared to enjoy my time off because of the Corona Virus.  I will wash my hands, I always wipe down my room with clorox wipes, and in general I am not around or face to face with a lot of other people.

• Like 2

I would make the final payment and let the chips fall where they may.  But, I also get insurance right after I book a cruise to the point that my mind is at ease with any potential loss.  On the more expensive cruises, I also pay more for the better insurance.