90 day Final Payment too risky right now IMO

22 hours ago, Tampa Bay Irish said:

You make a fair point. We sail from Barcelona on July 7. Have not made final payment yet. We are cautiously optimistic that our cruise will not be impacted by the corona virus. 

We sail from Barcelona on July 19th.  Our final payment is due near the end of April.  My only fear is being stuck on a ship, with no ports of call, for the entire 9 days.  I wouldn't mind a "cruise to nowhere", but hate to pay big bucks to fly to Europe for one!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mar214 said:

Airlines have been announcing they are waiving fees to change flights. We canceled our round trip flights to Barcelona and had our points returned without fees. You might want to touch base with your airline to see what options you have. 

Oh really? Which airline? And for which month was your trip?

18 minutes ago, pcvtmom said:

We sail from Barcelona on July 19th.  Our final payment is due near the end of April.  My only fear is being stuck on a ship, with no ports of call, for the entire 9 days.  I wouldn't mind a "cruise to nowhere", but hate to pay big bucks to fly to Europe for one!!

Right; it’s a pricey destination. My DH sails almost solely for the ports, whereas I enjoy both the ship and port experiences.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

I read the entire policy. 75% is better than nothing.

I spoke with Nationwide Cruise and Alliance, both said acts of God are NOT covered with cancel for any reason. As soon as I said Coronavirus, she knew the question. I got insurance with Alliance for all the other reasons. She told us airlines and cruise ships will work with their guests.  

6 hours ago, coevan said:

I spoke with Nationwide Cruise and Alliance, both said acts of God are NOT covered with cancel for any reason. As soon as I said Coronavirus, she knew the question. I got insurance with Alliance for all the other reasons. She told us airlines and cruise ships will work with their guests.  

What?! Cancel for any reason should mean just that! I just had a relative cancel for any reason and states it was due to Coronavirus concerns and got her future cruise credit no problem. So independent travel insurance companies won’t issue a 75% refund if it’s due to Coronavirus concerns?? I seriously don’t get that...If you say you don’t feel in the mood to fly today, you get your money back, but if you say you’re concerned you’ll get quarantined when you land, no refund?? Is that really how it is?

Ummmm cancel for any reason is....cancel for any reason.  Not sure who got told what, but I have two of the major companies emails which says they are honoring it.  What might be the issue is, with most companies, CFAR must be purchase with 14 to 20 days of booking and before final payment.

• Like 1

We have been planning a family reunion on a Caribbean cruise which we put on hold .. several members fall into high risk..

we also spend August in Italy Land trip .. Venice  down thru almalfi ..

we have that on watch ..And plan to book late if we book at all 

hotelS are starting to change their cancellation policies .. hopefully cruise lines and airlines follow suit .. itS a crappy situation.. 

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Ummmm cancel for any reason is....cancel for any reason.  Not sure who got told what, but I have two of the major companies emails which says they are honoring it.  What might be the issue is, with most companies, CFAR must be purchase with 14 to 20 days of booking and before final payment.

Jimbo, Allianz and my travel agent. Allianz actually told me if i were to cancel, do not mention Corono, just give any other reason and you will be covered. I'm only the messenger, they both were very firm in this opinion. The term they use is force majeure, a human initiated action that can not be predicted or controlled by the party to the contract

29 minutes ago, coevan said:

Jimbo, Allianz and my travel agent. Allianz actually told me if i were to cancel, do not mention Corono, just give any other reason and you will be covered. I'm only the messenger, they both were very firm in this opinion. The term they use is force majeure, a human initiated action that can not be predicted or controlled by the party to the contract

Allianz is a biggie.  That said, if you purchased when you booked and took CFAR, I would be shocked if they do not cover.  If on the other hand you purchased after booking, Ican see where what they to,d you would apply.  I have reviewed more than several policies for companies on CFAR and none mention pandemic.   Not saying you are wrong in what you heard, but if it were me and I had a CFAR policy from them, I would not accept anything other than a yes.  Force Majeure can be applied in many contracts, basically means act of God.  Again, it shows up a lot and in insurance, but I would be shocked if a company used it in CFAR.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

I went and looked online at their site.  Their CFAR (on the web page) basically says it covered anything but refers to the policy.  At any rate, following the agent’s recommendation, you cannot go wrong.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Thank you for facts. That makes so much sense.

57 minutes ago, coevan said:

Good to know 

We have a land trip planned to the UK this summer, we're still going as of now. I don't see any reason to cancel at this point. The reality is that the flu this year has been the most deadly in over a decade. So there are always going to be concerns out there. I understand that some are more concerned than others. My hope is that this also encourages people to think more about basic hygiene, since that seems to be the big push right. I mean, they're reporting on the local news about Costcos being out of main cleaning supplies. Everyone needs to do what they think is right for them, nobody should judge you. But we're keeping our plans.

• Like 1

No plans to cancel either of our upcoming cruises. If they sail, we will be on the ship.  Although I don’t think the UK or Ireland have had any cases yet? Nevertheless, I’m going no matter what LoL I told dh if this turns out to be the zombie virus and I don’t get to see Ireland, I’ll be so pissed. 

...and now the Grand Princess. Sigh I keep hoping to get good news, so DH will be fine with the cruise, but the news just keeps getting worse. John Heald’s blog this week certainly hasn’t made me think Carnival is considering making any changes to their cancellation policy, though maybe the news that it’s in the Caribbean now will convince Carnival to make some changes. 

Edited by cruisequeen4ever
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 6:11 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I would only cruise in the Caribbean and the West coast right now. I would cancel any overseas cruise I had booked no matter what country the cruise departed from. 

Virus in Dominican Republic and Saint Bart's

6 minutes ago, AmBear said:

Virus in Dominican Republic and Saint Bart's

People in Florida where I live have been diagnosed with the virus. That doesn’t mean I am going to stay in my house and not go out. At this point I have no problem cruising on a ship departing from the US, but I wouldn’t cruise overseas right now. There is a big difference between possibly being stuck on a ship near the US, as opposed to being stuck on a ship half way around the world. 

People in Florida where I live have been diagnosed with the virus. That doesn’t mean I am going to stay in my house and not go out. At this point I have no problem cruising on a ship departing from the US, but I wouldn’t cruise overseas right now. There is a big difference between possibly being stuck on a ship near the US, as opposed to being stuck on a ship half way around the world. 

I think it simply boils down to everyone is different and everyone needs to make the choices for themselves and not be treated with condensation. I’m not one bit worried about contracting the virus. I have no one immediately near me who has concerning health conditions, who is elderly or a has a young baby. Our cruise partners have a family member currently coming off a chemotherapy regimen— that’s much much different for them. It’s obvious ship quarantines do not work so I will be watching what California does with this ship off the coast very closely. I have about 2 weeks to make a cancellation decision which would lose my deposit (1k). If that day was today, I personally would be canceling and taking the $1k loss vs $5k. For me, personally, that’s what I feel most comfortably doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

8 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

We live in Florida too, and 'hoping' not, but because of tourism(a million a week) and our elderly population, its likely to spread here. 

Because so much is still unknown about this virus, we just don't want to go anywhere there are large crowds right now. 

For instance, a couple days ago China repirted that 14% who had the virus, went thru quarantine, tested clean,,,,,then tested positive again a few weeks later.

But each there own, good health to all!

19 hours ago, NCbmwmom said:

No plans to cancel either of our upcoming cruises. If they sail, we will be on the ship.  Although I don’t think the UK or Ireland have had any cases yet? Nevertheless, I’m going no matter what LoL I told dh if this turns out to be the zombie virus and I don’t get to see Ireland, I’ll be so pissed. 

As of this morning, 6 cases confirmed in Ireland, 90 confirmed in UK.

Whatever you decide, best of health to you/yours!

• Like 1