Princess Newbie...

Davis2010

Our May Alaska trip is now down to $969 which is significantly less than what we paid. I called Princess, who wouldn’t even acknowledge me because I used a TA (1st time and won’t be doing that again..). Contacted my TA and she says there’s nothing to be done. Now, I’ve never sailed with Princess, so it’s new to me. But back when we did our last cruise with Royal Caribbean they just refunded the price difference every time the price dropped. Super nice and helpful. So my questions are:

a. Did I just get a bad TA? (Same TA assures us that flying in day of would be just fine arriving literally an hour before embarkation started. Keep in mind we are first time flyers and had no idea about TA)

b. Can nothing really be done?

ps we are flying in day before now but not because she encouraged or recommended it.

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

how much are your TA cancellation fees if you pull the cruise from them and transfer it back to Princess ?

what TA specific perks would you "lose"

I didn’t know there were TA cancellation fees. I’ll look into that. Would that be a question for the TA or for Princess? I don’t feel we have gotten ANY perks from using a TA other than just someone having the headache of booking it all🤷🏼‍♀️

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

how much are your TA cancellation fees if you pull the cruise from them and transfer it back to Princess ?

what TA specific perks would you "lose"

Is that still allowed now with the "60 days to transfer" rule?  Pulling it back to Princess seems like it would be a transfer to a TA. Not at all sure how this works anymore. It used to be so simple.

You can refare as many times as you like prior to final payment. After final payment you are locked in. Also since you booked with a personal ta that's the only person you can confide in when referring because the booking is not directly with princess.

Edited by Jeter02

We are sailing in May on 2 cruises (May 9- Pacific Coastal and May 17- Alaska) and have already passed the final payment dates on both.

Sounds like your TA may not have done their homework.  If you're from FL, it's much better to fly in the day before.  We are on the East Coast also (MA) and can't imagine flying in for an Alaskan cruise the day off...

We prefer booking directly with Princess.  Have control and can call Princess with changes and not have a go-between.

Edited by Cruzinnana47

Any TA advising flying day-of needs to be disbarred immediately.!

As far as pricing is concerned ask your TA to at least try and call Princess, although you really aren’t entitled to anything. You were happy with the price when you booked, so the best thing to do is stop looking. All prices are likely to drop if there is too much availability. 

Just now, Jeter02 said:

You can repair as many times as you like prior to final payment. After final payment you are locked in.

and yet, on our last cruise, we re-fared 4 times after final and each time our card was credited back .

so the blanket statement of no re-fares after final is a disservice to posters, sorry ...

Princess

• Like 1

Sometimes I can't reprice. In the cruise in 4 weeks the price dropped by about $450pp 2 weeks ago for new reservations only  so the PVP department gave me another 100 OBC. 

Added: It's back up now to 3656, I'm paying 2776 (solo)

Edited by Ombud

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

and yet, on our last cruise, we re-fared 4 times after final and each time our card was credited back .

so the blanket statement of no re-fares after final is a disservice to posters, sorry ...

Princess

I think I've also heard from a travel agent that they could refund you the price is down but it's more pain and it's a long process and getting the money refund it. This is just from the hearsay that I hear.

1 minute ago, Guindalf said:

Any TA advising flying day-of needs to be disbarred immediately.!

As far as pricing is concerned ask your TA to at least try and call Princess, although you really aren’t entitled to anything. You were happy with the price when you booked, so the best thing to do is stop looking. All prices are likely to drop if there is too much availability. 

the TA may have already been paid their commission on the current fare, and doesn't want to re-fare the customer and return commission to Princess ...

I don’t know how it works, but I would doubt that a TA gets any commission before sailing, or at least before the refund for cancellation is at 100%.

Anyway, if my TA wasn’t prepared to work FOR me, they wouldn’t be my TA for very long.

Just now, Davis2010 said:

May 9, 2020

We sail on the same date (LA to Vancouver) and know you’re past the final payment date.  Your Princess confirmation shows the cancellation percentages if you want to consider cancelling & rebooking.  

Personally I wouldn’t do it unless there’s a decent net cost savings because you’ll lose benefits & possibly cabin assignment.

I would have the TA contact Princess & ask about receiving the difference in onboard credit.  If not then to request an upgrade to a cabin that currently cost the same as you paid.  Be cautious...some upgrades can only be to a higher category but are in a less desirable location for you.

If your TA is willing to make an effort & gets a Princess rep willing to research a change that has resulted in something better for us.  I’ve also read posts from those who received an upgrade or OBC so sometimes it’s possible.  Although based on your experiences with your TA not sure they’re willing to make the effort to help you.  The answer may still be no but it can also be a beneficial yes for you.

The TA doesn’t want to do anything. The price has changed several times, different promotions, etc. I won’t be using a TA again. I’m very disappointed. The TA stayed they will try to call on Saturday.....

45 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Is that still allowed now with the "60 days to transfer" rule?  Pulling it back to Princess seems like it would be a transfer to a TA. Not at all sure how this works anymore. It used to be so simple.

Once you've paid in full, regardless of the final payment date ... there is no transferring allowed.  The OP could always cancel and eat the cost of any TA cancellation fees but, it seems like maybe more trouble than it is worth.  

13 minutes ago, Davis2010 said:

The TA doesn’t want to do anything. The price has changed several times, different promotions, etc. I won’t be using a TA again. I’m very disappointed. The TA stayed they will try to call on Saturday.....

Saturday ???  

I would file a formal complaint with Princess about this TA … tomorrow , Monday 3/2

10 minutes ago, Davis2010 said:

That's unfortunate.  I've had that kind of TA before ... probably a lot of us have.  They are probably just dealing with so many people canceling right now that they can't be bothered.  

A couple of times, I had an agent that told me the same thing ... about the pricing being for new bookings only.  Well, once I asked them, how much is it going to cost me to cancel and rebook ... will I still save some money?  Oh, that got their attention.  They didn't want to do the work at all but, I was just giving them even extra work to do ... then, I got the cheaper price because they knew I wasn't likely to give up easily.  Another time, I had two cabins booked and they upgraded us both.  Very nice ... 

If it were me, I'd give it another try ... ask them to call Princess back and see if they can get you some onboard credit or at least a room upgrade.  Don't get frustrated if they say no again but, I still think it is worth another try.  

A lot of TAs are great, it just takes an experience with 1 bad one. I talked a friend into going on a cruise with us. Her 2nd Princess cruise so no referral credit. She referred her daughter and son in law 2b who are also going but did not get the referral credit. Asked her TA about it who said it isn't happening anymore!!!! I'm not sure that's true because my PVP (Princess Vacation Planner) said I couldn't get it for my granddaughter as she's 6 ..... not that I couldn't get it because it isn't offered anymore.  I will get it when I take my daughter to Alaska 

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

A lot of TAs are great, it just takes an experience with 1 bad one. I talked a friend into going on a cruise with us. Her 2nd Princess cruise so no referral credit. She referred her daughter and son in law 2b who are also going but did not get the referral credit. Asked her TA about it who said it isn't happening anymore!!!! I'm not sure that's true because my PVP (Princess Vacation Planner) said I couldn't get it for my granddaughter as she's 6 ..... not that I couldn't get it because it isn't offered anymore.  I will get it when I take my daughter to Alaska 

I"m receiving $75 referral credit on an upcoming cruise. I made 3 referrals for a recent Alaska cruise. They each got their $25 OBC. Of course Princess is changing mine to $75 AUD since we are cruising out of Australia. D'Oh! For referral credit you have to do it on the Princess site and it sends a link to the people you are referring. Worked fine for me.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

It still is available.

I may be wrong but......

I think not for minors.  🤔