Cell Phone Usage on Sea Days

Hi,

Is it possible to make phone calls on sea days to the U.S?  I am going to need to check in with my 81 year old mom while I'm gone.  We have 4 sea days total, 2 at the beginning and 2 at the end. She only has a flip phone so it's not like I can face time here (not that I know how to do that LOL).  Neither of us are that tech savvy.  She doesn't know how to text so I really can't see any other way than to figure out how to call her, but I don't even know if that's possible. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Just now, Kissmya63 said:

Hi,

Is it possible to make phone calls on sea days to the U.S?  I am going to need to check in with my 81 year old mom while I'm gone.  We have 4 sea days total, 2 at the beginning and 2 at the end. She only has a flip phone so it's not like I can face time here (not that I know how to do that LOL).  Neither of us are that tech savvy.  She doesn't know how to text so I really can't see any other way than to figure out how to call her, but I don't even know if that's possible. 

If you have an internet package you can set your phone up to do wifi calling.  I have done it and it works great.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

If you have an internet package you can set your phone up to do wifi calling.  I have done it and it works great.

If I need the internet package and that's all I need?  That would be great!!!  So it will only cost me the daily internet charge?

20 minutes ago, Kissmya63 said:

If I need the internet package and that's all I need?  That would be great!!!  So it will only cost me the daily internet charge?

Yes, you will need to put your phone in airplane mode so it doesn't try to connect to the ship's cellular service. Then turn on WiFi calling.

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can test the wifi calling at home before you leave. 

Is it possible for the OP to get a ‘false positive’’ by using the wifi of their own service provider?  Should the test be done on a public wifi ie.  local Starbucks or McDonalfds?

36 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Is it possible for the OP to get a ‘false positive’’ by using the wifi of their own service provider?  Should the test be done on a public wifi ie.  local Starbucks or McDonalfds?

No. WiFi is WiFi. It does not matter what WiFi you use.

• Like 3

Google "how to enable wifi calling" with your phone type and carrier ("how to enable wifi calling Verizon Android" or "how to enable wifi calling iPhone Sprint" or whatever).

Go through the steps to enable wifi calling.

Put your phone in Airplane mode and turn wifi back on if needed.

Make calls as normal from home (or anywhere, doesn't matter) via wifi.

Turn off Airplane mode.  Now anytime your phone doesn't have a good cell signal but IS connected to wifi, you can still make/receive phone calls and texts as normal.

Purchase a Voom package in the Cruise Planner.

On the ship, put your phone in Airplane mode and connect to the ship's wifi. Now you can make/receive phone calls normally without incurring any additional calls.  Just make sure your phone stays in Airplane mode.  You can also make calls in port if you're at a restaurant or other facility with wifi.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kissmya63 said:

Who is your cell provider?   If for some reason you don’t have WiFi calling. There are other options.

If you mother has a cell phone you both have iPhones you can call over WiFi using FaceTime.

Or download what’s app and use that again assuming you both have cell phones. 

The other option is to download the google voice app and signup.  It’s free to make calls with over WiFI but I’m not sure how RC identifies there internet as Voice doesn’t work from some countries.  

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can test the wifi calling at home before you leave. 

That's what we did before our last cruise. Worked great and did a few tomes on board. Wi-Fi calling is the way to go.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, d9704011 said:

You can simulate the environment on the ship by putting the phone in airplane mode, then connecting to any wifi. At home or Starbucks et al, make no difference.  Then make calls and receive calls while in airplane mode just like you would on the ship.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kissmya63 said:

Hi,

That's all great making a call from a ship on sea days to your mum , but what's plan "B" . What if , Wifi down , flat battery, dropped in toilet... you are at sea and can't get through... 

I would need someone locally or neighbor to check on her wellbeing and they have your ship and contact if needed not the other way around. 👍🙂

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

If mom has a flip phone I don’t see any of this working.

The flip phone is home with mom and can receive calls, why wouldn't it work?  The OP will buy Voom and have wifi calling activated and can call her mom or anyone else she wants.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

If mom has a flip phone I don’t see any of this working.

As long as the OP has a smart phone with WIFi calling enabled, she can make calls to or receive calls from any phone, including a land line.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kissmya63 said:

Hi,

if you have an apple I phone (not android) your phone plan may allow you call home from the ship.     Best to check with your phone provider.

If you have any other type of phone (I have a Samsung android) and our home has Xfinity/Comcast for Phone/Cable TV and Internet service.    Xfinity has an app that I downloaded on my phone that allows me to check voice mail as well as make outgoing calls from anywhere that I have internet access (no additional charges for calls).

I made several phones calls from this app while on my cruise (purchased the internet package with cruise online as the package online was cheaper than buying onboard) but if you just did need internet for 2 or 3 days and if you are diamond or higher you would get internet cheaper onboard for those couple of days,

If your cell provider doesn't allow wifi calling, there are a few apps that you can use for wifi calling.  Both of these work on Android and Iphones.

Google Voice  (you will need to get a second google voice number)

Viber

I would get both just in case.

Worst case, you can call from your cabin at $7.95 a minute.