Questions for frequent BA and gatwick flyers

mina

hi all:  

I have some specific questions about BA boarding and flying out of Gatwick.  Hope those BA FF can help!  Thank you.

We have a mult-leg trip from Phx to Dubrovnik all on one BA ticket.  Flying premium economy from Phx to LHR.  Overnighting, then flying the next day  in economy from Gatwick on BA 2678 to Dubrovnik @ 9 am on April 24 {Friday}.  We are on an A320 with paid exit row 13 seats.   We only travel with carry ons that fit under seats and a back pack each.  So my questions are:

1.  BA boarding:   We have no priority, so assume our BA 2678 flight will be in boarding group 4 or 5.  We prefer not to check bags, but seat guru says that there is no under seat storage for Row 13 exit row seats and our backpacks and carry on would not both fit under one seat anyway.  Should we take the chance of having bin space when we board?  

2.  Do we really need to be at Gatwick three hours in advance?  We are staying at HIlton Gatwick and could use the extra hour sleep.  

3.  It is low cost to buy Gatwick preferred security access.  Is it worth it or are the security lines not that bad?  In the states we have global access and sometimes the TSA precheck line is longer than regular TSA.  

Thank you for your help!  

I would find which terminal you are flying out of, probably south.  We just did something similar and stayed in the Hampton Inn, but had to take the monorail to the other terminal for BA.  It worked very well, about five minutes in all and we would recommend that.  It is often rated better than the Hilton as it is going through an upgrade and the access I think is better as the Hampton is directly in the airport where the Hilton is attached through I think a parking lot.  

The line ups can be long but we were business so had use of shorter lines. If it isn’t too expensive you could check that out.  BA also will allow you to checkin your luggage the night before, but that won’t apply to you with carryon.   I would allow the full time for peace of mind as the check in lines can be very long. 

You didn't ask but you you can take the National express bus service from Heathrow to Gatwick. It is very efficient and reasonable. 

Thank you. We are flying out of south terminal and have prepaid at the Hilton.  Have read the poor reviews after booking of course.  Since we will be exhausted hoping it will be fine for one night.   Appreciate  the tips! 

2. Not sure why you think you need to be there 3hrs beforehand, it certainly isn't necessary.

3. For obvious reasons security lines can vary quite a lot. For the sake of a few quid just get it. I've only ever used Gatwick Premium (due to frequent flyer status/class of travel) since BA moved to LGW South and there's never a line.

I've stayed at the Hilton Gatwick a few times...it's not The Peninsula but it does the job and as a Hilton Diamond I've always been put in the "University Wing" as I've heard it called before by staff. Check-in online the day before and choose the rooms in that section if you can.  

so follow up question -- recommendation as to whether we will have a chance to stow our carry on in overhead bin space with economy boarding?  If it will be a problem - we will check the bags the night before.  Thoughts?  

16 minutes ago, mina said:

so follow up question -- recommendation as to whether we will have a chance to stow our carry on in overhead bin space with economy boarding?  If it will be a problem - we will check the bags the night before.  Thoughts?  

If you're near the exit row I'd say unlikely, although this is a theory as I don't travel economy on BA.

The exit rows can be assigned by BA Golds (Group 1) and BA Silvers (Group 2) ahead of time. As they're more spacious than Club Europe they are prized seats and given not only can they board before you but they'll need to store all their bags in the overhead then you've a double whammy. 

Obviously depends on the number of BA Golds/Silvers, how full your flight is, phase of the moon etc. 

28 minutes ago, fbgd said:

If you're near the exit row I'd say unlikely, although this is a theory as I don't travel economy on BA.

The exit rows can be assigned by BA Golds (Group 1) and BA Silvers (Group 2) ahead of time. As they're more spacious than Club Europe they are prized seats and given not only can they board before you but they'll need to store all their bags in the overhead then you've a double whammy. 

Obviously depends on the number of BA Golds/Silvers, how full your flight is, phase of the moon etc. 

UGH -- you are so right!  did not realize that no under seat storage on BA in exit row.  Usually fly AA and always stow under the seat.    We will plan to check these bags the night before and just hope we can find room for our back packs when we board.  

Mina,  most european airlines do not allow underseat storage in exit rows.  US airlines have different policy. I have flown Air France, BA, and Swiss Air; none allowed exit row under seat storage.  I have stayed at the Hilton;  it is ok; and I read you bought the shuttle service to airport.  It usually runs fairly smoothly.

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Mina,  most european airlines do not allow underseat storage in exit rows.  US airlines have different policy. I have flown Air France, BA, and Swiss Air; none allowed exit row under seat storage.  I have stayed at the Hilton;  it is ok; and I read you bought the shuttle service to airport.  It usually runs fairly smoothly.

Thank you -- good to know!  I think we will monitor the flight load and make the decision the night before as to whether we will be able to get overhead bin space.  Now, I just have to wait and see if any of my flights get cancelled due to lack of demand. Reading BA is cutting back on flights right now.  I have a feeling I won't know if we are going or not till the two week mark prior to the flights - as I understand BA tries not to cancel within the two weeks due to penalties.  If they do cancel and rebook any of our flights,  then we will get our money back and stay home.   We would prefer to stay home given c0v19 -- but given the $$ invested in the flights and low risk in Croatia -- we are leaving it to the airline gods to determine.   

1 hour ago, mina said:

I think we will monitor the flight load

Just curious how you plan to do that?  Do you have access to the BA computer systems, because the best you can do otherwise is to know if there are nine or more seats "for sale" (which doesn't indicate actual load due to overbooking algorithms)?

22 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Just curious how you plan to do that?  Do you have access to the BA computer systems, because the best you can do otherwise is to know if there are nine or more seats "for sale" (which doesn't indicate actual load due to overbooking algorithms)?

I was going to look on Expert Flyer - does that not provide that data right before the flight.  

Expertflyer will just show you the same as you can find on Manage My Booking, though you can look at the available fare classes to determine a very rough load. If you are seeing J9 C9 D9 I9 R9 Y9 B9 H9. etc. then you know things are looking emptier than if it's a loan of zeroes across the board. Given BA charge for seat assignments outside of flexible tickets and elite status passengers a seat map is a fairly useless guide for the load.

The actual remaining seats and individual passenger loads if something BA keep offline. Staff can access it.