Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

2 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

I'm sure it's because someone who had been on the Grand the cruise before the current one had died from coronavirus.  

The CDC has only been testing people who have symptoms and have been in affected areas or have been in contact with a person known to have it.  Is that enough testing?  Obviously not.  But it explains why Grand was flagged and not Grandeur.

Not really if no one on the grand had been in an affected area prior to boarding the Mexican cruise and no one had been in an affected area on the grandeur....yet someone in Maryland is now positive and said they got off a ship on 2/20...grand arrived 2/21 I thought  ..so is the CDC now going to back track and look at grandeur? 

1 minute ago, Wheelhouse said:

Here's some more on the Maryland cases.  Said not to be affiliated with the port of Baltimore, hence not the Grandeur of the Seas

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/03/06/maryland-coronavirus-patients-were-on-a-cruise-montgomery-county-officials-say/

That pretty much seals the deal on where they got sick than. Will be very interesting to see how the US handles quarantining 4000 people compared to Japan. There is no where you can put that many people and keep them isolated away from each other. 

1 minute ago, debsjc said:

Is it possible they were on a ship that stopped in Italy, they may have flown back to the US. 

I guess its possible. But with the timeline of their illness lining up with the rest of the Grand passengers and no one else being sick on an Italian cruise I would doubt it.

FYI, there seems to be confusion above.  THIS THREAD is not a "roll call"-- that is a different thread (linked above) designed solely for the benefit/communication of those on the cruise (which I applaud!).  People are still free to post here, following the rules that we are reminded of daily (stick to post related to Grand Princess and cases/developments that are tied to it).

• Like 2

Updated March 6, 2020 1:45PM PT

Grand Princess Update

Princess Cruises continues to work closely with the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and U.S. Centers of Disease Control (CDC) and as soon as official results from the COVID-19 testing are completed we will collaborate with them on an announcement.

Guests will continue to be provided complimentary internet and telephone to use in order to stay in contact with their families and loved ones, and the ship’s company is working to keep all guests comfortable.

Princess Cruises medical team will begin outreach to guests regarding all medication needs. A form will be distributed to guests onboard to request prescription refills.

The ship has quickly transitioned food & beverage service to provide Room Service for all staterooms.

More information will be shared as it becomes available.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Updated March 6, 2020 1:45PM PT

Grand Princess Update

Princess Cruises continues to work closely with the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and U.S. Centers of Disease Control (CDC) and as soon as official results from the COVID-19 testing are completed we will collaborate with them on an announcement.

Guests will continue to be provided complimentary internet and telephone to use in order to stay in contact with their families and loved ones, and the ship’s company is working to keep all guests comfortable.

Princess Cruises medical team will begin outreach to guests regarding all medication needs. A form will be distributed to guests onboard to request prescription refills.

The ship has quickly transitioned food & beverage service to provide Room Service for all staterooms.

More information will be shared as it becomes available.

Yikes... if they are inquiring about prescription refills it doesn't sound like they are planning to let anybody leave for at least a couple more days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, christieSF said:

I wish they were tabulating the cases from the past sailing of the Grand.  Living in San Francisco, I would really like to know what the numbers look like.  So far, it seems like 2 in Placer, 2 in Santa Clara, 2 in Toronto, 1 in Alberta, and now these 2 new ones in Contra Costa.  I have yet to find a single source so I've been trying to keep track on my own.  

Trying to keep this all together-- someone has now reported a linked case in Minnesota: https://twitter.com/lisaschnirring/status/1236048142681935872?s=20

6 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

Yikes... if they are inquiring about prescription refills it doesn't sound like they are planning to let anybody leave for at least a couple more days.

Yes ... exactly what I was thinking.  They weren't set to dock in SF until tomorrow, so if they are addressing medication needs now, it certainly does look like that they plan on having these guests stay onboard for awhile.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes ... exactly what I was thinking.  They weren't set to dock in SF until tomorrow, so if they are addressing medication needs now, it certainly does look like that they plan on having these guests stay onboard for awhile.  

can't even imagine … hey look honey, they just slipped something under the door … maybe it's an update about our disembarkation schedule … boom ...

and do the people on board already know that the 3/7 cruise has been cancelled ...

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

The Diamond just went thru this, hope the leadership in the US and Princess learned a thing or two, but data from Diamond pretty much says isolation on the ship was total failure

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

Maybe. Or, perhaps, since a lot of us only travel with enough meds for the planned length of our trip (those little daily pill boxes) and those folks are probably running out (if not already), they are making sure those passengers have continued medications.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, christieSF said:

I wish they were tabulating the cases from the past sailing of the Grand.  Living in San Francisco, I would really like to know what the numbers look like.  So far, it seems like 2 in Placer, 2 in Santa Clara, 2 in Toronto, 1 in Alberta, and now these 2 new ones in Contra Costa.  I have yet to find a single source so I've been trying to keep track on my own.  

ChristieSF, maybe 3 in Maryland--although they haven't said which ship exposed them to the coronavirus, we haven't heard about any others!

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-hs-coronavirus-friday-20200306-tzmaqfm7bvbpvox6qdvdwha5te-story.html

35 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

Trying to keep this all together-- someone has now reported a linked case in Minnesota: https://twitter.com/lisaschnirring/status/1236048142681935872?s=20

Health officials say the Ramsey County patient began to develop symptoms on Feb. 25 and sought health care Thursday. Samples were collected from the person and sent to the state Health Department laboratory. The confirmation came at about 12:40 p.m. from MSP news...boy Feb. 25th....and just now got tested. It is presumptive but must be pretty sure.

Edited by kathy49

23 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

The Diamond just went thru this, hope the leadership in the US and Princess learned a thing or two, but data from Diamond pretty much says isolation on the ship was total failure

Maybe for the passengers ....but not for the residents.  I live very close to the port in SF.  I am not positive I would like a couple thousand more dumped off on my doorstep.  

23 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Maybe. Or, perhaps, since a lot of us only travel with enough meds for the planned length of our trip (those little daily pill boxes) and those folks are probably running out (if not already), they are making sure those passengers have continued medications.

But, if they packed enough to last them through tomorrow, when they were supposed to disembark, they probably wouldn't need more.  Perhaps they are just trying to be prospective.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

Maybe for the passengers ....but not for the residents.  I live very close to the port in SF.  I am not positive I would like a couple thousand more dumped off on my doorstep.  

I think you are being shortsighted, I'm not saying they shouldn't be isolated, if they were tested and dispersed to more effective sites, instead of the many hundreds that got sick from secondary perhaps we'd be dealing with far fewer infections.  

Instead you have many more sick, BTW living in SF, the cruise is not your worry, the virus is already running wild in the Bay Area and given the cases there many people around you are walking and transmitting, to fear the ship is fearing the wrong thing.

Just now, Cruise Raider said:

But, if they packed enough to last them through tomorrow, when they were supposed to disembark, they probably wouldn't need more.  Perhaps they are just trying to be prospective.  

After DP people posted that the cruise line was reminding them to bring enough for extra 2 weeks. I assume these passengers got this message but probably some did not follow advice?

1 minute ago, chipmaster said:

I think you are being shortsighted, I'm not saying they shouldn't be isolated, if they were tested and dispersed to more effective sites, instead of the many hundreds that got sick from secondary perhaps we'd be dealing with far fewer infections.  

Instead you have many more sick, BTW living in SF, the cruise is not your worry, the virus is already running wild in the Bay Area and given the cases there many people around you are walking and transmitting, to fear the ship is fearing the wrong thing.

I think you are right!  I should probably go on a cruise to get away from it.  😉 

• Like 3