Cruise Critic Community
4cats4me

Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

Posted by someone on the Grand today (the day schedule to have ended the cruise):

So, this is funny... Princess has already sent out the email survey asking how our cruise was 😳 

1 minute ago, caribill said:

Posted by someone on the Grand today (the day schedule to have ended the cruise)"

So, this is funny... Princess has already sent out the email survey asking how our cruise was 😳 

Ooops. Someone forgot to notify IT to stop the auto send email job

30 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Are the trucks still there?

Does anyone know where this picture was taken, what pier? I cannot tell from the picture, I am on land at pier 40 in SF

Just now, wincheshandles said:

Does anyone know where this picture was taken, what pier? I cannot tell from the picture, I am on land at pier 40 in SF

That would be pier 27 San Francisco.  Right across the street from Fog City Diner.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

There is absolutely no reason to take The Grand out of commission.   The virus won't live on the ship without people and it will be easily decontaminated.  It is PEOPLE that are the problem, not the ship.

We have sailed on her 3 times, the last time on the 15 day SF to Hawaii and back cruise.  We love her!  We are booked to sail on her to Alaska 5/30 of this year.  

Completely agree. 

IIRC, the Grand has one less deck than other ships of similar class, but the same amount of amenities and entertainment space. So theoretically it would be a relatively less crowded ship in terms of person to entertainment space ratio.

We sailed on her 3 times and loved it!

Wasn't she also the flagship until the Royal Princess?

Edited by maizer

Just now, brisalta said:

That would be pier 27 San Francisco.  Right across the street from Fog City Diner.

Thanks I will go for a rainy walk

7 minutes ago, maizer said:

Completely agree. 

IIRC, the Grand has one less deck than other ships of similar class, but the same amount of amenities and entertainment space. So theoretically it would be a relatively less crowded ship in terms of person to entertainment space ratio.

We sailed on her 3 times and loved it!

Wasn't she also the flagship until the Royal Princess?

Yes, she was!  The Grand was the largest and the most expensive ship ever to be constructed when it debut in 1998

7 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Yes, she was!  The Grand was the largest and the most expensive ship ever to be constructed when it debut in 1998

We sailed a Med cruise on her summer of 1999.  She was a beast back then.  The worlds largest shopping cart as many liked to call her.  I remember pulling into Venice with her and all the locals complained about her size.   She’s just a midsize ship now by today’s standards.

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And the initial reaction of guests just to this innocuous announcement is why they like quarantining to cabins...

But there was great applause when the announcement said that all the bars would re-open.

8 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Has the Royal Princess still delayed embarkation?

Yes

Someone on the rollcall just posted that the building has been closed? No idea what that means?

1 minute ago, ceilidh1 said:

Yes

Someone on the rollcall just posted that the building has been closed? No idea what that means?

link to rollcall please?

2 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

link to rollcall please?

41 minutes ago, wincheshandles said:

Thanks I will go for a rainy walk

Pier 27 is quiet with the exception of 4 or 5 media trucks.

15836174640523315664516741274676.jpg

11 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Yes

Hopefully it does not mean that they just released 2,600 passengers from the prior cruise who might be infected.

5 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Sounds a bit like neither MSC or Greece wanted to be involved anymore that they have too.  So took alternative approach - If we look away and you all run it will be fine - Honest!

6 minutes ago, wincheshandles said:

Pier 27 is quiet with the exception of 4 or 5 media trucks.

15836174640523315664516741274676.jpg

I guess they redirected the supply trucks to some other place.

34 minutes ago, rimmit said:

We sailed a Med cruise on her summer of 1999.  She was a beast back then.  The worlds largest shopping cart as many liked to call her.  I remember pulling into Venice with her and all the locals complained about her size.   She’s just a midsize ship now by today’s standards.

I was on the Ocean Princess right after 9/11 ... rather worried until I saw the Grand Princess in port with us.  She was huge (in comparison to the Ocean).  Now, she's such a little peewee ship!  🙂 

Posted (edited)

I have verified information that the Grand will dock in Oakland this weekend.

Surveyors are looking at the old Oakland terminals to verify fitment.

Edited by need2cruisesoon

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, phil the brit said:

And not enough thought into the "cruise ship problem". What a mess, from no test kits available to not having enough masks. Who does these peoples thinking for them. After the Diamond Princess problem you would think there would be a pallet of masks in the hold.

The masks are only effective for 15 minutes or so and once they become damp they actually trap the virus inside. There are simply not enough masks to do the job. In Aus we are being told not to wear them unless you yourself have the virus. Medical personnel who actually know all this and how to use them, must wear them. 

As regards to the test kits available. This virus was only really known about since January. It's March. A test had to be developed, produced and distributed. How on earth could 'the world' produce enough test kits with such high demand, and people needing multiple tests. The logistics are overwhelming and which is why every attempt is being made to slow the spread down. Cruise ships unfortunately are accelerating it. 

Edited by Pushka