Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

13 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Following is from https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-07/spread-of-coronavirus-on-grand-princess-ship-raises-public-health-alarms

March 7, 2020
3:30 PM

A California man who died of the novel coronavirus brought it on board the Grand Princess cruise ship, officials said Saturday, suggesting the virus has been in the state much longer than originally believed.

Dr. Grant Tarling, the cruise’s medical officer, said the man — who later died in Placer County after leaving the cruise — sought medical care on the ship Feb. 20 and had been sick for several days. Tarling said two waiters who served the man multiple times were subsequently infected.

The news is a revelation that could mean the virus has been circulating in California longer than authorities have previously disclosed, Tarling said.

Thousands of passengers remain on the ship held off the San Francisco coast amid an outbreak on board.

I'm listening to a replay of the news conference through the link that someone so kindly provided and just heard that part.  In light of what happened on the Diamond Princess, I find it shocking that the man had symptoms starting around the 13th and continued to go to the MDR for dinner.  They have also said that the two passengers who tested positive were not on the Mexico cruise.  And that all of the crew who have tested positive and those they have closely associated with have been isolated but were mostly customer facing people.  Seriously hoping that this happened immediately after they showed symptoms and that there aren't more who test positive.

Edited by azbirdmom

26 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

British Columbia's public health officer Asks cruise ship passengers to think twice before going on cruise ships.   They have cases showing up now from the Diamond Princess (not the Grand.)

Full video.   This is one that has to be seen, both of the medical officials get quite emotional about it.    At the end the male officer says that his advice is that you should not take a cruise.   Pretty strong stuff considering how big of a hit that would be to Vancouver's economy.

With the Alaska Inside passage cruise season starting in May.  We all know how busy that is in and out of Vancouver. Big call by the public health officer, but I tend to agree.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I suppose Grand Princess is circling off the coast whilst decisions are made by the government as to where she will berth and to make ready that facility with the necessary support.  Time will tell.  Best wishes to all on board.

NWSP how quickly would the Australian authorities make a decision if faced with such a scenario?

2 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I'm listening to a replay of the news conference through the link that someone so kindly provided and just heard that part.  In light of what happened on the Diamond Princess, I find it shocking that the man had symptoms starting around the 13th and continued to go to the MDR for dinner.  They have also said that the two passengers who tested positive were not on the Mexico cruise.  And that all of the crew who have tested positive and those they have closely associated with have been isolated but were mostly customer facing people.  Seriously hoping that this happened immediately after they showed symptoms and that there aren't more who test positive.

given they did 46 tests and got the results they did...21 you know they are going to have many people that they need to put in quarantine....no doubt they know this and that is why it is taking time to find a place to dock and deal with this...also sending the others off is not great given the incubation period but I think they will simply have to send them off and tell them to "self quarantine".

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, caribill said:

Part of the advisory:

"We will conduct additional pre-boarding screening of all guests and crew who have visited areas with community spread of COVID-19 ...."

Soon community spread will mean most of the USA. Certainly it would apply now to those from New York City area and the Seattle Washington area.

Right.Good luck on that. Seattle now has pervasive community spread. I can see the summer Alaska cruises circling the drain...

• Like 1

I have read the first page plus last two pages of this thread, plus I’m on hold with Princess. So far, my question is unanswered. Does anybody know the phone number to call the ship? Our really good friend is on board, with no devices to connect her to the outside world except her cabin’s telephone. She called me Thursday but I didn’t get to answer. Her message left a phone number with too many digits!

I’m sure she would appreciate a phone call from us. Anybody know how I could call her?

5 minutes ago, brisalta said:

NWSP how quickly would the Australian authorities make a decision if faced with such a scenario?

I doubt it would be any quicker than the current process with Grand.  Even Sydney would be struggling to deal with it.   In my previous life I had some experience in disaster management and emergency management planning, mainly for major events in Sydney.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

British Columbia's public health officer Asks cruise ship passengers to think twice before going on cruise ships.   They have cases showing up now from the Diamond Princess (not the Grand.)

Full video.   This is one that has to be seen, both of the medical officials get quite emotional about it.    At the end the male officer says that his advice is that you should not take a cruise.   Pretty strong stuff considering how big of a hit that would be to Vancouver's economy.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this. I live less than a 10 minute walk from Canada Place and we are expecting our first ship to dock at the end of the month. It's all well and good for the health officer to advise us not to go on cruises....but I'm betting they aren't going to prevent ships coming into Vancouver? Cruise business is HUGE here.

1 minute ago, LARGIN said:

Wonder why it is taking the CDC, state & local authorities so long to figure our when the Grand should dock?

because it is not just a dock...they will need quarantine facilities and much more. Ground personnel will have to have the same hazmat suits (not sure that is what you call them) and equipment to deal with the positive cases.  Many will probably need to go to a hospital equipped for this....this will really drain the local community and take a bit of time to organize...not just a simple dock I am sure.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, May B said:

I have read the first page plus last two pages of this thread, plus I’m on hold with Princess. So far, my question is unanswered. Does anybody know the phone number to call the ship? Our really good friend is on board, with no devices to connect her to the outside world except her cabin’s telephone. She called me Thursday but I didn’t get to answer. Her message left a phone number with too many digits!

I’m sure she would appreciate a phone call from us. Anybody know how I could call her?

Dial the number she left you, ship phone numbers are usually non US numbers and different than what you're used to. If not, did you call the specific number given when you call Pirncess that is specifically for those who have family on the Grand Princess? There's an prompt at he beginning and a phone number is also handed out. Good luck. 

1 minute ago, ClwtrBoi said:

Dial the number she left you, ship phone numbers are usually non US numbers and different than what you're used to. If not, did you call the specific number given when you call Pirncess that is specifically for those who have family on the Grand Princess? There's an prompt at he beginning and a phone number is also handed out. Good luck. 

Thx a ton! I didn’t realize that.

I saw the phone number for family but instead I called the general number, which has a dedicated prompt if caller has a concern about a guest onboard Grand.

9 minutes ago, LARGIN said:

Wonder why it is taking the CDC, state & local authorities so long to figure our where and when the Grand should dock?

not that many places to dock a large cruise ship. especially one that is not an active commercial port. Oakland, which has not been used for a while, and the naval port hueneme north of LA are the only two I can think of closest to the ship. I know port hueneme can handle cargo ships, but don't know if it can deal with the size of the grand.

modified

port hueneme is now commercial so that is out.

Edited by npcl

7 minutes ago, May B said:

I am sure Princess website has the ship phone numbers, or call Princess Head Office for the number.

4 minutes ago, LARGIN said:

Wonder why it is taking the CDC, state & local authorities so long to figure our where and when the Grand should dock?

The major military port facilities in San Francisco Bay along with their housing where decommissioned years ago.

They were either turned into parks or redeveloped for commercial purposes or left abandoned.

Existing non-commercial docks would have to be surveyed to see if they had not silted up and are strong enough to tie up to. Not sure if there is suitable space next to the Hornet. Temporary housing would need to be found assuming all the old barracks if still standing are decrepit.

4 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

because it is not just a dock...they will need quarantine facilities and much more. Ground personnel will have to have the same hazmat suits (not sure that is what you call them) and equipment to deal with the positive cases.  Many will probably need to go to a hospital equipped for this....this will really drain the local community and take a bit of time to organize...not just a simple dock I am sure.

Indeed, a lot of support facilities, personnel and equipment will need to be set up to facilitate the process.

3 minutes ago, May B said:

Thx a ton! I didn’t realize that.

I saw the phone number for family but instead I called the general number, which has a dedicated prompt if caller has a concern about a guest onboard Grand.

Hopefully someone else can chime in, but you might need to dial a + before the numbers. 

My DH & I are on an Alaskan cruise mid June starting in Seaward & ending in Vancouver on X. After the cruise we are spending three days in Vancouver. 

We can still cancel the cruise but our airline tickets are non-refundable. My husband refuses to think about canceling the cruise. I wish we could take the cruise next year and move the airfare to that cruise. 

I have the vacation and sick time if I get the virus. My DH does not have the time for 14 days of quarantine. 

5 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Lack of crew available?

No, on the news conference they confirmed that there was a crew member who had transferred from the Grand to the Royal recently.  That crew member was said to be healthy but they are looking into the situation.