Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

Just now, MsCynthia said:

Oakland is one of the busiest container ports on the West Coast and can handle ships with draughts up to 40 feet. The Grand Princess has a 26-foot draught. I see these giant ships sailing in and out of San Francisco Bay almost every day. 

Except the container port is a commercial port. It has been specified that they would dock at a non-commercial port.

1 minute ago, MsCynthia said:

Oakland is one of the busiest container ports on the West Coast and can handle ships with draughts up to 40 feet. The Grand Princess has a 26-foot draught. I see these giant ships sailing in and out of San Francisco Bay almost every day. 

They were trying to not use commercial port & possibly potential infect! 

22 minutes ago, Mom33 said:

You mean to tell me that our government and medical experts can't find a place for the Grand too dock and yet they have not forced the cruise industry to shut down for a couple months. Where should we put ships full of people if the cruises continue and a passenger or crew tests positive? Enough with this lunacy!!

I find this kind of odd, too. They are planning on implementing testing onboard and prior to disembarking yet have no plans or protocols of what to do when positives are found? I must be missing something....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

The LA Times article linked by another poster above is really troubling.

"Tarling said two waiters who served the man multiple times were subsequently infected."

So that means at minimum the Grand had two dining stewards who became infected on the prior cruise, serving meals for several days on this cruise... presumably they also came in frequent close contact with people who work in the galley.   Everybody should be taken off that ship as soon as practicable and put in isolation.

An interesting comment from the conference call with Princess and media was that the two passengers currently on the ship that tested positive had NOT been on the original Mexico sailing. So they either got infected on the ship or brought it on with them...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

because it is not just a dock...they will need quarantine facilities and much more. Ground personnel will have to have the same hazmat suits (not sure that is what you call them) and equipment to deal with the positive cases.  Many will probably need to go to a hospital equipped for this....this will really drain the local community and take a bit of time to organize...not just a simple dock I am sure.

All humans need to get inso & do by cat! They said they would off load & figure it out, but trying to dock to not possibly infect around as it gets docked! Send them where the Dia pax base wnt to. 

11 minutes ago, Mom33 said:

You mean to tell me that our government and medical experts can't find a place for the Grand too dock and yet they have not forced the cruise industry to shut down for a couple months. Where should we put ships full of people if the cruises continue and a passenger or crew tests positive? Enough with this lunacy!!

If the cruise lines are shut down , then the airlines should be also. 

How many ships have had trouble with the virus ? TWO ships out of 17 for Princess, and ONE ship out of 15 for Holland America.   Tens of thousands of passengers and crew are sailing on cruise ships right now and haven't had reported issues.

It's important to keep some perspective.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, WIDisCruiser said:

Golden Gate Bridge in sight.  Ship just came to complete stop.

Are they waiting for a SF Bay pilot to board? They cannot enter the bay without a pilot.

I suspect which ever pilot is assigned is getting bonus pay.

1 minute ago, Justmekaren918 said:

All humans need to get inso & do by cat! They said they would off load & figure it out, but trying to dock to not possibly infect around as it gets docked! Send them where the Dia pax base wnt to. 

Can you please retype that in English.

• Like 11
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, Mom33 said:

Agree. I think the government should order everyone in America to stay inside their homes, or wherever they live, for the next 2 months.

Either that or nuke it from space. Only way to be sure.

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Kenswing said:

How about Mare Island or Hunters point?

I was thinking Hunters Point.  I see the south end of the dock at least once a week. I think it may still be deep enough.  There may be empty warehouse space there.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Justmekaren918 said:

What?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

I was thinking Hunters Point.  I see the south end of the dock at least once a week. I think it may still be deep enough.  There may be empty warehouse space there.

The oil tanker dock in Richmond is another possibility.

1 minute ago, MsCynthia said:

The oil tanker dock in Richmond is another possibility.

I had thought of that but that would screw up oil supplies.

There is the car transporter dock down Harbor Chanel in Richmond but I do not think the Grand could make the turn from Potero Channel into harbor. The clearway is not wide enough for her in the deep part of the channel

Just now, LARGIN said:

"Crew Boat" that delivers supplies and such..

Supplies for a small boat maybe but I think Miss Tammy is a pilot transport.  I think I have seen her action previously. I would have to look through thousands of photographs to verify though.