Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

12 minutes ago, brisalta said:

KRON4 news said at 10:37 PM the plan was changed to Monday for docking.

I suspect some preparation work needs to be done.

Might be that the tides are not favorable. I do not have a current tide table at hand to look at.

It can't be the tides that is an issue.  We are at the highest tides of the month (high +6.4 @ 11am, Low +1.9 @4:50am).  Chart shows the channel depth @ 47 feet+.  The GP will sail under the west side of the Bay Bridge and turn east around Treasure Island.  That is the same routes for all the cargo ships into Port of Oakland.  I don't believe there has ever been a large passenger liner cruise under the Bay Bridge but I could be wrong.

Channel.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, snowblower said:

It can't be the tides that is an issue.  We are at the highest tides of the month (high +6.4 @ 11am, Low +1.9 @4:50am).  Chart shows the channel depth @ 47 feet+.  The GP will sail under the west side of the Bay Bridge and turn east around Treasure Island.  That is the same routes for all the cargo ships into Port of Oakland.  I don't believe there has ever been a large passenger liner cruise under the Bay Bridge but I could be wrong.

Channel.JPG

I suspect that preparation work needs to be done dockside.

I know the channel is deep. A low tide would be favorable for clearance under the bridge.

Need to look on my charts for the clearance.

VERCLR
 219.8 ft
INFORM
Vertical Clearance for Mid-Span between Pier C and Pier D. Vertical Clearance of 67.0 meters/220 feet at Pier C; 66.4 meters/218 feet at Pier D.

Edited by brisalta

47 minutes ago, brisalta said:

That was in response to the previous comment about cleaning of ships. A lot of facilities are being cleaned due to covad-19. (AC transit is the system in Alameda County)

Don’t you also have a subway/metro system that connects Oakland area to San Francisco Airport?   Are they being cleaned due it Covid-19  as well?

4 hours ago, resistk said:

Unless the ships are running at 50% capcity that seems like a stretch?

given what is going on the dining rooms may be half empty...this all sounds so bizarre and this social distancing is not going to really do much...they are trying.

3 hours ago, Justalone said:

Don’t you also have a subway/metro system that connects Oakland area to San Francisco Airport?   Are they being cleaned due it Covid-19  as well?

Yes, it is called BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) and there is a tunnel that travels under water in the bay.  
land a second yes, they are stepping up the cleaning of the stations and trains, or so they say.  Some of the stations in these cities have gotten pretty disgusting.  I used the train to work and back every day and seen a decline over the years.  It was so convenient!   Maybe this will finally improve things and clean it up.  

12 hours ago, caribill said:

Part of the advisory:

"We will conduct additional pre-boarding screening of all guests and crew who have visited areas with community spread of COVID-19 ...."

Soon community spread will mean most of the USA. Certainly it would apply now to those from New York City area and the Seattle Washington area.

Question: What if a person is a foreign national has travelled from another country to board the cruise and the is denied boarding and has no return flight home? Would they be expected to purchase their own flight home? Or would they be subject to deportation from the U.S by U.S Customs and Border Protection?

6 hours ago, WIDisCruiser said:

Oakland it is. Disembarkation to take several days. CA residents taken somewhere in state, others sent to locations around the country. 

I think Oakland is a logical choice.  So many of these passengers on San Francisco based sailings are from the area.   For those that test negative, I wonder if there is any room in their policies for some self imposed quarantines at home.  It’s already in the community spread phase in California anyway....not that more is better but seems like the cat is already out of the bag.  

• Like 1

I thought the plan at one point was to test every passenger and crew member. Seems like this is another part of the plan not quite in place.

Edited by mla925
Clarity
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

There is absolutely no reason to take The Grand out of commission.   The virus won't live on the ship without people and it will be easily decontaminated.  It is PEOPLE that are the problem, not the ship.

We have sailed on her 3 times, the last time on the 15 day SF to Hawaii and back cruise.  We love her!  We are booked to sail on her to Alaska 5/30 of this year.  

We are on that exact same Booking (05/30) and haven't cancelled. If Princess

cancels this trip then so be it. Been planning it for 2 years. (25th Anniversary)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ClwtrBoi said:

Hopefully someone else can chime in, but you might need to dial a + before the numbers. 

Actually, I think it needed 011, which the Princess rep knew, and my cell phone did, too! 

still haven’t gotten an answer, though, plus now I have nine hours of progress to read.

36 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think Oakland is a logical choice.  So many of these passengers on San Francisco based sailings are from the area.   For those that test negative, I wonder if there is any room in their policies for some self imposed quarantines at home.  It’s already in the community spread phase in California anyway....not that more is better but seems like the cat is already out of the bag.  

I just read where 40 passengers are from Minnesota. We do not have community spread here yet and only one case (from another cruise) so far reported.  I don't think they are going to quarantine these people if they test negative and will send them back here to "self quarantine" and I expect local cases to start going up. Many testing negative will eventually show symptoms and be positive...how many?  Who knows but we now know this happens.

12 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

We can still cancel the cruise but our airline tickets are non-refundable. My husband refuses to think about canceling the cruise. I wish we could take the cruise next year and move the airfare to that cruise. 

I have the vacation and sick time if I get the virus. My DH does not have the time for 14 days of quarantine. 

Us as well, and also Us as well

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, coats141 said:

We are on that exact same Booking (05/30) and haven't cancelled. If Princess

cancels this trip then so be it. Been planning it for 2 years. (25th Anniversary)

Happy Anniversary! I hope your cruise works out for you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Happy Anniversary! I hope your cruise works out for you.

Thank You, its the 18th of this month, but obviously Alaska

cruises don't run in March so we picked end of May. As we

pray for those affected, our hope is we still get to take ours.

3 minutes ago, coats141 said:

Thank You, its the 18th of this month, but obviously Alaska

cruises don't run in March so we picked end of May. As we

pray for those affected, our hope is we still get to take ours.

Leaving out of Seattle?  If so, hopefully by then there will be a 'best practices' system in place so the passengers/crew will be screened and the embarkation/disembarkation will all be routine and straightforward.

1 minute ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Leaving out of Seattle?  If so, hopefully by then there will be a 'best practices' system in place so the passengers/crew will be screened and the embarkation/disembarkation will all be routine and straightforward.

Whittier, and ends in Vancouver (This is our concern, they are telling people not to cruise)

Edited by coats141
  • Like 1

However, late Saturday afternoon, the CDC informed the cruise line of their decision to issue a “no-sail order” until the crew member was tested for Novel Coronavirus, Princess Cruises said.

According to the cruise line, they were unable to obtain a test for the crew member, and “due to the unknown timing of obtaining the test and results or anticipated response,” the cruise was cancelled.

Princess Cruises says the crew member, who had no known contact or exposure to other guests or crew who were sick on the Grand Princess, is past the maximum incubation of Novel Coronavirus, has been evaluated, and has never developed any respiratory symptoms or fever.

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-08-20-intl-hnk/index.html

the last sentence is odd surely it should be no other contact with anyone who has show symptoms to date

Edited by fragilek

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/georgia/coronavirus-34-georgians-aboard-grand-princess-cruise-ship-be-transferred-military-base/KREBUA7G6ZENHAJJQ7TN22YFD4/?fbclid=IwAR3G5nMVSD9z-nggGy4kqhA4AoPfKG5NzmLi7-UozQmkM_JesN4iMKTnNRo

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp announced that he has learned 34 Georgians and are currently on the Grand Princess cruise ship off the California coast. They will be securely transferred to Dobbins Air Reserve Base in Marietta, Ga., according to Kemp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, flamingos said:

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/georgia/coronavirus-34-georgians-aboard-grand-princess-cruise-ship-be-transferred-military-base/KREBUA7G6ZENHAJJQ7TN22YFD4/?fbclid=IwAR3G5nMVSD9z-nggGy4kqhA4AoPfKG5NzmLi7-UozQmkM_JesN4iMKTnNRo

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp announced that he has learned 34 Georgians and are currently on the Grand Princess cruise ship off the California coast. They will be securely transferred to Dobbins Air Reserve Base in Marietta, Ga., according to Kemp.

so will they be tested in Ca? Are all states that have a number of residents on this ship going to follow suit?

9 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

so will they be tested in Ca? Are all states that have a number of residents on this ship going to follow suit?

It's a new story, details just coming out. The first one made it look as if Kemp was the one who ordered it; this one below makes it more like it was planned by someone else and he is just announcing it.

"I have learned that thirty-four Georgians and additional American citizens from the eastern United States who are currently on the Grand Princess cruise ship off the California coast will be securely transferred to Dobbins Air Reserve Base in Marietta, Georgia," Kemp said in a release Sunday morning. "These passengers will undergo testing and be quarantined for possible exposure to COVID-19. They are expected to arrive at Dobbins late Monday, March 9 or early Tuesday, March 10."

There is no indication if any of the people being transported to Georgia have tested positive for coronavirus, nor how many individuals in addition to the 34 Georgians would be arriving at Dobbins.

According to California state officials, the Grand Princess has been given permission to dock at the Port of Oakland on Monday, where disembarkation of passengers will begin.    https://www.11alive.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/some-grand-princess-passengers-headed-to-atlanta/85-c3c9980d-b67d-46e1-b68f-de9fb9d17ae3

Edited by flamingos
new information
  • Like 1