Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

14 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

If you go to other Boards it is amazing how many do not listen. Even after what Dr. Fauci warned this morning. It is unbelievable to me that people will risk their lives along with bringing it possibly back to their own community. I am just astounded.

I agree, I canceled an anniversary trip to Florida in May  just not worth it! We will go later!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 4

Bay area resident here. Thanks for all the information. Looks like the roll call for the GP voyage that is docking in Oakland is no longer on the Roll Calls?  Passengers were using it to talk to one another.   

Following facts and medical experts and reading histories/patterns of previous pandemics (Smithsonian Mag did a stunning article about the Spanish flu in 2017). Yes, pandemics can change history. 

Hard-wired human optimism is pushing up against the dispassionate and exponential math.

The latitude we have as individuals—regardless of our ages or personal health issues— to choose whether we are going to sail anywhere in the next few weeks/months will continue to have its limits as ports close to ships and infections spread. 600K are on cruiseships at any given time. 

I can’t imagine the stress on cruise line leaders, passengers who sailed with infected people, those who have been diagnosed, their families and health authorities. I want Princess and her sister cruise lines to survive economically—but changes will be coming. Tourism, in general, will suffer and take years to recover. 

We have a South Seas cruise scheduled in mid-April and are prepared to have it cancelled. Though we are not cancelling yet due to the economics of the when/why/who cancels timing. 

All we can do is invoke our humanity, be as kind and civilized as possible and wash our hands. And repeat. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, muggo11 said:

. Looks like the roll call for the GP voyage that is docking in Oakland is no longer on the Roll Calls?  Passengers were using it to talk to one another.   

I still had the link in my browser.  You can see if it works.

38 minutes ago, chamima said:

I think this guy is just sensationalizing!

I've been following these ladies who report a MUCH different situation.

I also saw a picture of the menu that's being delivered to each cabin with many meal choices for breakfast , lunch and dinner but couldn't find it again to post here.

There was a report on British Tv this morning, from a couple on board. They also were having real problems getting food, and were told there wasn't anything. In they end they were sent some undercooked, cold pasta. I believe they can't now get any tea or coffee, or any drinks apart from water from their staterooms. 

22 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

If you go to other Boards it is amazing how many do not listen. Even after what Dr. Fauci warned this morning. It is unbelievable to me that people will risk their lives along with bringing it possibly back to their own community. I am just astounded.

SElf quarantining and asking people to stay 

1 minute ago, debsjc said:

There was a report on British Tv this morning, from a couple on board. They also were having real problems getting food, and were told there wasn't anything. In they end they were sent some undercooked, cold pasta. I believe they can't now get any tea or coffee, or any drinks apart from water from their staterooms. 

appalling and not sure why anyone would be posting this other than hoping someone will see it and get a meal to them? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

If the Captain wants to get into port now all he has to do is to declare an emergency (e.g., for lack of food) and they will have to let him dock.

Marc

It really depends on "are they out of food" or "are they out of food people want" - one is an emergency, one is not...

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

If the Captain wants to get into port now all he has to do is to declare an emergency (e.g., for lack of food) and they will have to let him dock.

Marc

if that is what it takes hope he does that....hopefully they are seeing that diabetics etc. are getting something to eat.  I just don't get it....that close to Ca. and can't get some sort of meal for the passengers?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

Um, no.  That isn't how marine law works.    Pandemics used to be common; a lot of marine procedure exists because of quarantines  to prevent the spread of disease from one country to another because ships were *the* vector in the middle ages.   That is why you fly the yellow "Q" flag and have all of the in port procedures that used to seem so ancient and outdated to me.  According to wiki it comes from the Italian quaranta giorni, meaning "forty days" which is how long passengers had to wait offshore (disease free) before being allowed to land.   Presumably running out of food didn't change that.

• Like 5

just saw a photo of breakfast on https://twitter.com/keaneli It included 

fresh fruit

yoghurt

free juice

coffee

milk

bread rolls & croiasonts

omelet

ham

potatoes

Don't know about anyone else but that would  feed me for a day if the need arose

I think what they mean is they don't have the unlimited selections they expect on a cruise.  At this point in time that would be the least of my worries if I was on the ship 

• Like 15

Just now, kathy49 said:

if that is what it takes hope he does that....hopefully they are seeing that diabetics etc. are getting something to eat.  I just don't get it....that close to Ca. and can't get some sort of meal for the passengers?

This sounds like a false claim to me.... maybe not fake but sensationalized.   The ship wasn't even scheduled to dock until yesterday so I am just not buying it.  Cruiseships don't just run out of food one day after they are scheduled to dock.  I'm sure if a diabetic patient needed some staples, it would be provided.  

Now, just in case, I'm bringing my own snacks on my next cruise.  Might even stock up on some apples from the buffet close to boarding ... not hoarding, just have a few available in the cabin just in case.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Um, no.  That isn't how marine law works.    Pandemics used to be common; a lot of marine procedure exists because of quarantines  to prevent the spread of disease from one country to another because ships were *the* vector in the middle ages.   That is why you fly the yellow "Q" flag and have all of the in port procedures that used to seem so ancient and outdated to me.  According to wiki it comes from the Italian quaranta giorni, meaning "forty days" which is how long passengers had to wait offshore (disease free) before being allowed to land.   Presumably running out of food didn't change that.

I learned something new.  So, do ships have a Q flag even today? Will they raise it when they come into harbor?

The breakfast certainly looks plenty. But there are a lot of posts, and reports, popping up in various areas about problems getting dinner. They can't all be invented. It may just be the logistics of trying to serve that many people on room service, that isn't working well. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Cruise ships stock food for the next 2 to 3 cruises in most cases.

There is no merit to stories claiming the ship is out of food / rationing food. Ridiculous.

With a ship that big it is entirely reasonable to believe that some cabins got skipped/shorted while others got full meals. They had trouble with that in the beginning on DP as well.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

There is no merit to stories claiming the ship is out of food / rationing food. Ridiculous.

From https://twitter.com/keaneli (1 hour ago - 0828 PST)

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 9.27.17 AM.png

that looks very good to me....what is wrong with people posting stuff like that if untrue or were they just forgotten...why say the ship is "out of food" obviously not!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, debsjc said:

The breakfast certainly looks plenty. But there are a lot of posts, and reports, popping up in various areas about problems getting dinner. They can't all be invented. It may just be the logistics of trying to serve that many people on room service, that isn't working well. 

and clearly they must be down 19 crew that tested positive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

From https://twitter.com/keaneli (1 hour ago - 0828 PST)

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 9.27.17 AM.png

He has not been happy with people using his photos without permission that is why I just posted the link a few posts ago

6 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

that looks very good to me....what is wrong with people posting stuff like that if untrue or were they just forgotten...why say the ship is "out of food" obviously not!

Obviously,   do a little research before you carry on the farce?

• Like 3

Yes, you fly it until you clear customs at a foreign port.   What constitutes "foreign" is a little squishy around here, in my experience a US  yacht flying the Q flag on entry to Canada would be considered a bit old fashioned or picky, like those who the daylight black ball signal at anchor (which big ships do.)   We do have to clear customs, etc, a lot of which is done by phone now.

4 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

To the person stuck in a cabin who didn't get dinner and who was told no food was available..."out of food" is a reasonable conclusion.

Easy enough for those of us comfortably at home with stocked pantries, but tough on the folks living this experience.

• Like 7