Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

Princess failed to take prompt action when DP situation arose: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/world/asia/coronavirus-cruise-ship.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

But in a series of interviews, company officials offered contradictory and changing accounts about their response. In the end, nearly 48 hours elapsed between the alert on Feb. 1 and the captain’s announcement to the ship on Feb. 3 that a passenger had been infected, giving the virus time to spread.

Princess officials could not point to the social media post, or the platform, that they say tipped them off. They said it took Dr. Tarling until the night of Feb. 2 to confirm that a former passenger had tested positive.

Company emails show that he knew by that morning. In an email to a Hong Kong doctor, he listed the patient’s name, his hospital wing, his traveling companions and the date of the diagnosis.

The subject line of his email began: “Confirmed Coronavirus Case.”

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, arabrab said:

I learned something new.  So, do ships have a Q flag even today? Will they raise it when they come into harbor?

All major ships carry the full stock of maritime signal flags. They're usually kept just behind the bridge.

The 'Q' flag is just a letter and represents 'Q' amoungsst other things. The blue and white 'A' flag is used to denote a diver is working beneath.

The Q flag, actually means 'My vessel is healthy' or free of contagion afaik. The 'L' flag indicates a vessel is under quarentine.

When they're flown in tandem with several other flags, the meaning changes.

Edited by Pegasus2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

they have confirmed 21 cases on the ship now...based on 46 tests...so logic would indicate they need to prepare for a serious quarantine upon disembarkation. First it was Sunday and now Monday...I hope it does not go longer...

17 minutes ago, arabrab said:

To the person stuck in a cabin who didn't get dinner and who was told no food was available..."out of food" is a reasonable conclusion.

Easy enough for those of us comfortably at home with stocked pantries, but tough on the folks living this experience.

This is true.

If you are confined to a small cabin 24/7, unsure what is happening or when you will be able to leave, these things become very important. If someone on the phone tells you there is no food, you might reasonably believe they are running short of supplies.

These passengers are in a really tough position, with the lack of information (mostly not the fault of Princess) and the lack of freedom. It must be frustrating trying for an hour or more, to get through to someone on the phone to get some food. 

• Like 6

Just now, debsjc said:

This is true.

If you are confined to a small cabin 24/7, unsure what is happening or when you will be able to leave, these things become very important. If someone on the phone tells you there is no food, you might reasonably believe they are running short of supplies.

These passengers are in a really tough position, with the lack of information (mostly not the fault of Princess) and the lack of freedom. It must be frustrating trying for an hour or more, to get through to someone on the phone to get some food. 

but they are offering them Tai Chi just like on DP!!

57 minutes ago, PekingeseLady said:

What does anyone know about the Grands disembarkation?  Are they going to test everyone before they disperse them around the US?  I've been reading a lot of blogs and articles, know they are going to Oakland but thats it.

Since I don't see it linked in this thread yet, I'll post a link to the latest press release for the California Office of Emergency Services (OES) at http://www.oesnews.com/update-on-grand-princess-cruise-ship/ .

The release mostly has information we already know, and quotes from officials saying why it's a great idea to do what they did.  I'll quote a small portion of what I think is the most interesting part (emphasis mine):

As soon as tomorrow, the ship will begin disembarking passengers at the Port of Oakland. The ship will only be docked during the duration of the disembarkment.

These passengers will not be released into the general public. Passengers who require acute medical treatment and hospitalization will be transported to health care facilities in California. If passengers do not require acute medical care following health screenings, those who are California residents will go to a federally run isolation facility within California for testing and isolation, while non-Californians will be transported by the federal government to facilities in other states. The crew will be quarantined and treated aboard the ship, but importantly, the ship will only stay in Port of Oakland for the duration of disembarkment. This ship will depart Oakland as soon as possible and will remain elsewhere for the duration of the crew’s quarantine.

(end quote)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Oh crumbs, our Governor is talking about considering "mandatory measures" in Washington state and media is pushing him for an Italian solution.   I wouldn't be planning on leaving for a cruise from Seattle any time soon.    I wonder what the odds are that Costco has any big bags of beans left...

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

they have confirmed 21 cases on the ship now...based on 46 tests...so logic would indicate they need to prepare for a serious quarantine upon disembarkation. First it was Sunday and now Monday...I hope it does not go longer...

They have not tested the entire ship so the numbers may be different.  Also, have they said where the crew were working?  Was it food services, laundry, bar????

3 hours ago, coats141 said:

Thank You, its the 18th of this month, but obviously Alaska

cruises don't run in March so we picked end of May. As we

pray for those affected, our hope is we still get to take ours.

A very happy anniversary to you! My son and DIL just celebrated their 25th on March 5th. It’s been a fun opportunity to look at all the photos, plus he emailed me their invitation, which I didn’t remember. It was beautiful, like their marriage. 😃🥂

5 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Oh crumbs, our Governor is talking about considering "mandatory measures" in Washington state and media is pushing him for an Italian solution.   I wouldn't be planning on leaving for a cruise from Seattle any time soon.    I wonder what the odds are that Costco has any big bags of beans left...

No worries, soon enough you'll have your "home test kits"...LOL

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/gates-foundation-to-help-with-coronavirus-testing-in-seattle

12 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Since I don't see it linked in this thread yet, I'll post a link to the latest press release for the California Office of Emergency Services (OES) at http://www.oesnews.com/update-on-grand-princess-cruise-ship/ .

The release mostly has information we already know, and quotes from officials saying why it's a great idea to do what they did.  I'll quote a small portion of what I think is the most interesting part (emphasis mine):

As soon as tomorrow, the ship will begin disembarking passengers at the Port of Oakland. The ship will only be docked during the duration of the disembarkment.

These passengers will not be released into the general public. Passengers who require acute medical treatment and hospitalization will be transported to health care facilities in California. If passengers do not require acute medical care following health screenings, those who are California residents will go to a federally run isolation facility within California for testing and isolation, while non-Californians will be transported by the federal government to facilities in other states. The crew will be quarantined and treated aboard the ship, but importantly, the ship will only stay in Port of Oakland for the duration of disembarkment. This ship will depart Oakland as soon as possible and will remain elsewhere for the duration of the crew’s quarantine.

(end quote)

thank you very interesting...they sure are not just getting off to go straight home.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Oh crumbs, our Governor is talking about considering "mandatory measures" in Washington state and media is pushing him for an Italian solution.   I wouldn't be planning on leaving for a cruise from Seattle any time soon.    

In one of my dizzier moments last week I considered one of those super cheap cruises on the Celebrity Millennium in April/May out of Seattle.  I eventually decided against it.  I sometimes wish that more of my decisions in life had worked out as well...

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Just heard on a Canadian radio station (CBC) that Canada will airlift any Canadians on the Grand back home to Canada.

That's good to hear.

I wonder what will happen to other foreign nationals.

22 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

(end quote)

I very much appreciate your posting the link to the press release.

I wonder why the crew will be quarantined on board -- we've already seen that a ship is not a good quarantine facility.   Also, since they made a big point of saying the ship will not be docked during the crew quarantine, who will be preparing meals for the crew, delivering them, etc.?   And will there be sufficient, trained medical staff on board to take care of the crew?

I hate to even think this, but I have to wonder whether the on-board (and at sea) crew quarantine was a medical decision made in the best interest of the crew, or driven by other factors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

I wonder why the crew will be quarantined on board

Likely
A) they are not US citizens
B)a ship empty of passengers is much different than one loaded to the gills. 

• Like 4

At one point, someone posted the daily menu options. One of the questions asked was: what time do you want your did delivered? I'm all about service normally, but having passengers select what time they want their food is asking for disaster. When everyone on a certain hallway wants food at a different time they probably miss rooms that way.

I work at a hospital. Our food service people can't always get the orders right. It's a littler not better now that meals are delivered to the unit all at the same time versus based on when people ordered. Our patients so get what they want (most of the time) and we know if someone's food was missed sooner than before. 

Passengers can still order what they want, meals will just be delivered at standard times instead. It will take less people to deliver food and will be quicker that way too.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, dennism said:

Likely
A) they are not US citizens
B)a ship empty of passengers is much different than one loaded to the gills. 

they can spread them all over the ship. the whole thing will have to go thru the official Covid Cleaning.

14 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I wonder why the crew will be quarantined on board -- we've already seen that a ship is not a good quarantine facility.   Also, since they made a big point of saying the ship will not be docked during the crew quarantine, who will be preparing meals for the crew, delivering them, etc.?   And will there be sufficient, trained medical staff on board to take care of the crew?

I hate to even think this, but I have to wonder whether the on-board (and at sea) crew quarantine was a medical decision made in the best interest of the crew, or driven by other factors.

You're welcome.

I think one of the reasons why they're doing things the way they are is that they're trying to protect the communities involved from the virus, or at least look like they're doing that to those communities.

You ask a lot of questions that few people, if anyone, knows the answers to right now.  Much as I'd like to think things are all planned out, I think it's more likely that, to some extent, TPTB are making up things as they go.

22 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Almost certainly "other factors".  Political ones. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

they can spread them all over the ship. the whole thing will have to go thru the official Covid Cleaning.

Probably officers get the suites and other with seniority get balcony cabins on down the line.

They'll probably enjoy the ship after done their cleaning etc.

A few things:

1. I am VERY worried about the crew. I hope they will be well cared for and not just floating somewhere...becoming another Diamond Princess without access to shoreside meals and medics. 

2. This sucks, but I do think cruises (out of the US at least) need to be halted for the next 3 weeks. Otherwise this stuff is just going to keep happening. We have to worry about medical facilities and their increased strain. We know a couple on the Grand are both nurses. They will not be able to go back to work for quite some time now, etc. 

3. I saw this Tweet Friday night, complaining about food. I do not think folks aboard are making things up. I do believe the meals are sparse, I think the crew is taxed. Which to me sounds like they've tried to take some of the crew out of work rotation. Social distancing maybe?

• Like 3

We were notified by our US Representative that again Lackland AFB in San Antonio will be receiving passengers from the Grand Princess.  We had Diamond Princess passengers and people who were in China staying in quarantine at the base.  Those with COVID-19 were transferred to the local state hospital for infectious disease.  

• Thanks 1