Cruise Critic Community
4cats4me

Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

just saw a photo of breakfast on https://twitter.com/keaneli It included 

fresh fruit

yoghurt

free juice

coffee

milk

bread rolls & croiasonts

omelet

ham

potatoes

Don't know about anyone else but that would  feed me for a day if the need arose

I think what they mean is they don't have the unlimited selections they expect on a cruise.  At this point in time that would be the least of my worries if I was on the ship 

Just now, kathy49 said:

if that is what it takes hope he does that....hopefully they are seeing that diabetics etc. are getting something to eat.  I just don't get it....that close to Ca. and can't get some sort of meal for the passengers?

This sounds like a false claim to me.... maybe not fake but sensationalized.   The ship wasn't even scheduled to dock until yesterday so I am just not buying it.  Cruiseships don't just run out of food one day after they are scheduled to dock.  I'm sure if a diabetic patient needed some staples, it would be provided.  

Now, just in case, I'm bringing my own snacks on my next cruise.  Might even stock up on some apples from the buffet close to boarding ... not hoarding, just have a few available in the cabin just in case.  

Posted (edited)

Cruise ships stock food for the next 2 to 3 cruises in most cases.

There is no merit to stories claiming the ship is out of food / rationing food. Ridiculous.

From https://twitter.com/keaneli (1 hour ago - 0828 PST)

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 9.27.17 AM.png

Edited by Outerdog

6 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Um, no.  That isn't how marine law works.    Pandemics used to be common; a lot of marine procedure exists because of quarantines  to prevent the spread of disease from one country to another because ships were *the* vector in the middle ages.   That is why you fly the yellow "Q" flag and have all of the in port procedures that used to seem so ancient and outdated to me.  According to wiki it comes from the Italian quaranta giorni, meaning "forty days" which is how long passengers had to wait offshore (disease free) before being allowed to land.   Presumably running out of food didn't change that.

I learned something new.  So, do ships have a Q flag even today? Will they raise it when they come into harbor?

The breakfast certainly looks plenty. But there are a lot of posts, and reports, popping up in various areas about problems getting dinner. They can't all be invented. It may just be the logistics of trying to serve that many people on room service, that isn't working well. 

3 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

There is no merit to stories claiming the ship is out of food / rationing food. Ridiculous.

With a ship that big it is entirely reasonable to believe that some cabins got skipped/shorted while others got full meals. They had trouble with that in the beginning on DP as well.

1 minute ago, arabrab said:

With a ship that big it is entirely reasonable to believe that some cabins got skipped/shorted while others got full meals. They had trouble with that in the beginning on DP as well.

Agreed!

1 minute ago, arabrab said:

With a ship that big it is entirely reasonable to believe that some cabins got skipped/shorted while others got full meals

Sure. 

But that's not the same as the ship being out of food.

7 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

that looks very good to me....what is wrong with people posting stuff like that if untrue or were they just forgotten...why say the ship is "out of food" obviously not!

4 minutes ago, debsjc said:

The breakfast certainly looks plenty. But there are a lot of posts, and reports, popping up in various areas about problems getting dinner. They can't all be invented. It may just be the logistics of trying to serve that many people on room service, that isn't working well. 

and clearly they must be down 19 crew that tested positive.

11 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

He has not been happy with people using his photos without permission that is why I just posted the link a few posts ago

1 minute ago, fragilek said:

He has not been happy with people using his photos without permission that is why I just posted the link a few posts ago

He's got bigger problems.

6 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

that looks very good to me....what is wrong with people posting stuff like that if untrue or were they just forgotten...why say the ship is "out of food" obviously not!

Obviously,   do a little research before you carry on the farce?

Yes, you fly it until you clear customs at a foreign port.   What constitutes "foreign" is a little squishy around here, in my experience a US  yacht flying the Q flag on entry to Canada would be considered a bit old fashioned or picky, like those who the daylight black ball signal at anchor (which big ships do.)   We do have to clear customs, etc, a lot of which is done by phone now.

4 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

To the person stuck in a cabin who didn't get dinner and who was told no food was available..."out of food" is a reasonable conclusion.

Easy enough for those of us comfortably at home with stocked pantries, but tough on the folks living this experience.

1 minute ago, Outerdog said:

He's got bigger problems.

he is not on the ship he is getting photos from someone on the ship.  

Princess failed to take prompt action when DP situation arose: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/world/asia/coronavirus-cruise-ship.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

But in a series of interviews, company officials offered contradictory and changing accounts about their response. In the end, nearly 48 hours elapsed between the alert on Feb. 1 and the captain’s announcement to the ship on Feb. 3 that a passenger had been infected, giving the virus time to spread.

Princess officials could not point to the social media post, or the platform, that they say tipped them off. They said it took Dr. Tarling until the night of Feb. 2 to confirm that a former passenger had tested positive.

Company emails show that he knew by that morning. In an email to a Hong Kong doctor, he listed the patient’s name, his hospital wing, his traveling companions and the date of the diagnosis.

The subject line of his email began: “Confirmed Coronavirus Case.”

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, arabrab said:

I learned something new.  So, do ships have a Q flag even today? Will they raise it when they come into harbor?

All major ships carry the full stock of maritime signal flags. They're usually kept just behind the bridge.

The 'Q' flag is just a letter and represents 'Q' amoungsst other things. The blue and white 'A' flag is used to denote a diver is working beneath.

The Q flag, actually means 'My vessel is healthy' or free of contagion afaik. The 'L' flag indicates a vessel is under quarentine.

When they're flown in tandem with several other flags, the meaning changes.

Edited by Pegasus2

they have confirmed 21 cases on the ship now...based on 46 tests...so logic would indicate they need to prepare for a serious quarantine upon disembarkation. First it was Sunday and now Monday...I hope it does not go longer...

17 minutes ago, arabrab said:

To the person stuck in a cabin who didn't get dinner and who was told no food was available..."out of food" is a reasonable conclusion.

Easy enough for those of us comfortably at home with stocked pantries, but tough on the folks living this experience.

This is true.

If you are confined to a small cabin 24/7, unsure what is happening or when you will be able to leave, these things become very important. If someone on the phone tells you there is no food, you might reasonably believe they are running short of supplies.

These passengers are in a really tough position, with the lack of information (mostly not the fault of Princess) and the lack of freedom. It must be frustrating trying for an hour or more, to get through to someone on the phone to get some food. 

Just now, debsjc said:

This is true.

If you are confined to a small cabin 24/7, unsure what is happening or when you will be able to leave, these things become very important. If someone on the phone tells you there is no food, you might reasonably believe they are running short of supplies.

These passengers are in a really tough position, with the lack of information (mostly not the fault of Princess) and the lack of freedom. It must be frustrating trying for an hour or more, to get through to someone on the phone to get some food. 

but they are offering them Tai Chi just like on DP!!

57 minutes ago, PekingeseLady said:

What does anyone know about the Grands disembarkation?  Are they going to test everyone before they disperse them around the US?  I've been reading a lot of blogs and articles, know they are going to Oakland but thats it.

Since I don't see it linked in this thread yet, I'll post a link to the latest press release for the California Office of Emergency Services (OES) at http://www.oesnews.com/update-on-grand-princess-cruise-ship/ .

The release mostly has information we already know, and quotes from officials saying why it's a great idea to do what they did.  I'll quote a small portion of what I think is the most interesting part (emphasis mine):

As soon as tomorrow, the ship will begin disembarking passengers at the Port of Oakland. The ship will only be docked during the duration of the disembarkment.

These passengers will not be released into the general public. Passengers who require acute medical treatment and hospitalization will be transported to health care facilities in California. If passengers do not require acute medical care following health screenings, those who are California residents will go to a federally run isolation facility within California for testing and isolation, while non-Californians will be transported by the federal government to facilities in other states. The crew will be quarantined and treated aboard the ship, but importantly, the ship will only stay in Port of Oakland for the duration of disembarkment. This ship will depart Oakland as soon as possible and will remain elsewhere for the duration of the crew’s quarantine.

(end quote)

Oh crumbs, our Governor is talking about considering "mandatory measures" in Washington state and media is pushing him for an Italian solution.   I wouldn't be planning on leaving for a cruise from Seattle any time soon.    I wonder what the odds are that Costco has any big bags of beans left...

13 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

they have confirmed 21 cases on the ship now...based on 46 tests...so logic would indicate they need to prepare for a serious quarantine upon disembarkation. First it was Sunday and now Monday...I hope it does not go longer...

They have not tested the entire ship so the numbers may be different.  Also, have they said where the crew were working?  Was it food services, laundry, bar????