Cruise Critic Community
4cats4me

Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

Looks currently  like the ship is heading away from the Bay Area. with 15knots into western direction (on marinetraffic)

42 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

Not necessarily. We are over 60 and on the surface we both appear healthy. But I have a rare auto immune condition, affecting my lungs,  which is currently dormant and I am in remission. My consultant cannot tell me what the repercussions for me would be if I caught Covid-19, it might flare my immune system and cause problems, or it might not. My husband had cancer surgery 3 years ago and 3 monthly testing shows he is clear, but again no one can tell us if he has an added risk factor because of his previous history. We would probably be deemed fit to travel as we are currently asymptotic. Do we want to travel? Hell no. 

You actually are proving his point that people know if they are healthy enough for travel. 

3 hours ago, arabrab said:

I learned something new.  So, do ships have a Q flag even today? Will they raise it when they come into harbor?

2 hours ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Yes, you fly it until you clear customs at a foreign port.   What constitutes "foreign" is a little squishy around here, in my experience a US  yacht flying the Q flag on entry to Canada would be considered a bit old fashioned or picky, like those who the daylight black ball signal at anchor (which big ships do.)   We do have to clear customs, etc, a lot of which is done by phone now.

While all ships will have a "Quebec" (phonetic Q) flag as part of the required signal flag set, raising the Q flag has gone out of use for decades.  I'm sure yachts still use it, but I haven't seen or heard of a commercial ship using it in over 30 years.  Most clearance is done either electronically or via the ship's agent.  While today in many countries, the Public Health function is also covered by Customs, the Q flag is not until "cleared customs", but as a warning to other ships and boats to keep clear until the Public Health has given the ship a clean bill of health.

3 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Cruise ships stock food for the next 2 to 3 cruises in most cases.

There is no merit to stories claiming the ship is out of food / rationing food. Ridiculous.

From https://twitter.com/keaneli (1 hour ago - 0828 PST)

While I also don't believe in the food shortage, cruise ships do not stock 2-3 cruises worth of food.  They will generally have enough food for 5-7 days beyond the end of the cruise, and some dry stores can last longer, but produce may start to get in short supply.

4 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

It might make a comeback...   But in smaller countries I believe they still enforce it at least for yachts, although whether this is a practice that really conforms to IMO regs or is just a way of getting more income (from fines) is an exercise left to the reader.

The real meaning of "Quebec" is "I request free pratique" (I am requesting permission to enter port (pratique) as I have a clean bill of health).  As another poster mentioned, while in port the "Lima" flag means "I am under quarantine" (at sea it has a different meaning).

We know that at least two dining room waiters were infected by the coronavirus. If Princess is (hopefully!) not allowing anyone who interacted with them closely to prepare or serve food-- my guess is that they would be shorthanded on people who know how to cook and plate meals (as well as serve them!), and might also partially explain some of the reports we are seeing on board.

Posted (edited)

Grand Princess will dock in Oakland tomorrow.  Apologies if this has already been discussed.  
wonder if I’ll be able to see her sail in, since I do have a view of the Port of Oakland. 

Edited by 4cats4me

Posted (edited)

Still no time for the return tomorrow. Time will be given in the am due to current and tide windows. Gov. Newsom said

Edited by flyguyjake

So listening to this, California is doing everything they possibly can to keep the evac "sterile" - as in, no cross contamination of folks from the boat vs. regular California residents. A logistical nightmare. Probably costing a fortune too. 2-3 day process to get all passengers off. 

3 hours ago, glam mistress said:

A few things:

1. I am VERY worried about the crew. I hope they will be well cared for and not just floating somewhere...becoming another Diamond Princess without access to shoreside meals and medics. 

2. This sucks, but I do think cruises (out of the US at least) need to be halted for the next 3 weeks. Otherwise this stuff is just going to keep happening. We have to worry about medical facilities and their increased strain. We know a couple on the Grand are both nurses. They will not be able to go back to work for quite some time now, etc. 

3. I saw this Tweet Friday night, complaining about food. I do not think folks aboard are making things up. I do believe the meals are sparse, I think the crew is taxed. Which to me sounds like they've tried to take some of the crew out of work rotation. Social distancing maybe?

Looks like they ate dessert first!

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Yes I found it and the story keeps growing. 

Now they have to round up all the Grand folks from Mexico trip or things will spread fast.

I don’t think the will round us up at this point.  We are past the 14 day incubation period.  We have already been contacted by Princess and by our county health departments on what to do if we have symptoms.

1 minute ago, Ruxin said:

I have family members on the ship who have been updating me.

Here is the roll call thread in case you didn't find it.

1 minute ago, tlovesdis said:

I don’t think the will round us up at this point.  We are past the 14 day incubation period.  We have already been contacted by Princess and by our county health departments on what to do if we have symptoms.

Oh good to know but thosr two on Regal is of concern 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, dchip said:

Wow, they didn’t cancel the Grand on 3-22!! I guess we will continue to wait it out. We are on a move over offer. 🤦‍♀️

Denise 

Maybe they will arrange a virtual cruise for you? Put you all in a large hotel and have you wear VR headsets. 😉

Edited by brisalta

3 minutes ago, dchip said:

Wow, they didn’t cancel the Grand on 3-22!! I guess we will continue to wait it out. We are on a move over offer. 🤦‍♀️

Denise 

They will, we are on the 3/29 cruise.

Just a matter of time.

I received this alert from SF officials, intended ONLY for those with family members aboard the Grand:

Relatives of guests on the Grand Princess Cruise can call a family assistance hotline: 888-358-8055 

1 minute ago, need2cruisesoon said:

They will, we are on the 3/29 cruise.

Just a matter of time.

Since we live in the East Bay, it makes waiting it out much easier for us. I feel sad for those that have long flights. 

Cheers, Denise 

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Looks like they ate dessert first!

Very small portion of dinner, but if pax are inactive, enough. They did a reasonable job on Diamond with the food, saw some pics.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, flyguyjake said:

Posted by someone on the ship

To me it looks a long tender ride, they are still 20 miles away from SF are they not. Was it a Grand Princess tender?

Edited by NSWP