Cruise Critic Community
4cats4me

Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BrennerM said:

I believe Canada said they won't fly any people who are exhibiting any symptoms of Covid-19 (if any are in that state).  Not sure what will happen to those folks.

That is silly,you may not know you  are sick until later! Even then they are saying not everyone feels or appears sick!

Edited by Reader0108598

Just now, Reader0108598 said:

That is silly,you may not know you  are sick until later! Even then they are saying not everyone feels or appears sick!

To be clear, they are still flying them all on a charter to an army base in Canada where they will be quarantined for at least 14 days, regardless of symptoms or not.

2 minutes ago, BrennerM said:

To be clear, they are still flying them all on a charter to an army base in Canada where they will be quarantined for at least 14 days, regardless of symptoms or not.

they are all on the same plane and I am sure the seats are not "spaced out" and what about those from Europe etc.

8 minutes ago, BrennerM said:

5 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

they are all on the same plane and I am sure the seats are not "spaced out" and what about those from Europe etc.

Probably the same arrangement they used to fly pax from the Diamond to the US and other countries.

At Travis AFB they quarantine in a large hotel.  It has tv, wifi, rooms for families.

Posted (edited)

Has anyone given explanation for the decision of taking passengers off the ship to prevent repeat of Diamond Princess but leaving crew on the petri dish?

what about 19 who are known to be sick?

No medical treatment other than what ship doctor can do?

Edited by hal2008

7 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Has anyone given explanation for the decision of taking passengers off the ship to prevent repeat of Diamond Princess but leaving crew on the petri dish?

Once the ship debarks passengers it will certainly need a crew to sail out of SFO.

7 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Read that once passengers are off crew will separate into singles per room using passenger cabins for their quarantine.  It has been thought it is because possibly of their work visas or something...it was posted either on here or the Royal update thread.  WCK is there to do the food as well I believe. 

3 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Read that once passengers are off crew will separate into singles per room using passenger cabins for their quarantine.  It has been thought it is because possibly of their work visas or something...it was posted either on here or the Royal update thread.  WCK is there to do the food as well I believe. 

There is certainly NO visa issues.

5 minutes ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Once the ship debarks passengers it will certainly need a crew to sail out of SFO.

You need a tiny percent of total crew to sail the ship away. Very tiny.

So that certainly cant pass as an excuse for not providing those humans with same care as passengers.

11 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

what about 19 who are known to be sick?

No medical treatment other than what ship doctor can do?

There is really no medical treatment for covid-19 other than supportive care, unless of course the symptoms become severe.  I believe that any crew showing severe distress will be lifted off.

3 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Yes, generally the crew don't have visas to be in the US for longer than it takes to get from the ship to the airport (crew visa), and they must be accompanied by a bonded agent at all times, so onshore quarantine for those with mild symptoms or no symptoms is not possible.  WCK will provide meals while the ship is in port, not sure if/where the ship will dock/anchor to ride out quarantine, or if it will sail around, but WCK is not distributing those meals.

14 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Based on health experts, MOST folks who contract this are not seriously ill and recover. Why not let them self isolate on the ship for the quarantine period of 14 days or so. If some do become seriously ill, then I'd expect them to be removed for treatment. As to crew members getting it from each other, I think that horse has long ago left the barn.

3 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

I stated I thought I had read that on another thread something about work visas or something..was not a direct quote and I have been on several threads trying to follow along I stated I couldnt recall if this one or the Royal one.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

WCK will provide meals while the ship is in port, not sure if/where the ship will dock/anchor to ride out quarantine, or if it will sail around, but WCK is not distributing those meals.

I thought the video posted yesterday WCK said they were loading up the Miss Tammy to send supplies to the ship so I assumed that they would continue to do that once just crew went back out....

marintetraffic.com shows the Grand Princess going through the entrance of San Francisco Bay right now.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

....I believe that any crew showing severe distress will be lifted off.....

.....Yes, generally the crew don't have visas to be in the US for longer than it takes to get from the ship to the airport (crew visa), and they must be accompanied by a bonded agent at all times, so onshore quarantine for those with mild symptoms or no symptoms is not possible......  

Has there been any statement from anyone (Princess or any govt agency) that they are "lifting off" 19 sick crew members?  (make sense)

Will remaining crew be tested?  How the logistics of future "lifting" of crew will work?

VISA can be issued within hours (after all just a bureaucratic process). Arent they doing that for 19 crew members assuming they will be indeed taken off the ship?

Edited by hal2008

2 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Truly fabulous shots of the Grand approaching the Golden Gate.

https://abc7news.com/

I'm kind of feeling guilty admiring the spectacle of the sail-in, under terrible circumstances.

17 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

How is that?

CNN is showing live views of the Grand Princess entering San Francisco Bay. Just went under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Posted (edited)

Here she comes. 

741B923B-0D44-4DA6-829C-D7E236BBC831.jpeg

B477448F-ACE1-41E5-9CEE-D0228A95F0A1.jpeg

Edited by 4cats4me

9 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Has there been any statement from anyone (Princess or any govt agency) that they are "lifting off" 19 sick crew members?  (make sense)

Will remaining crew be tested?  How the logistics of future "lifting" of crew will work?

VISA can be issued within hours (after all just a bureaucratic process). Arent they doing that for 19 crew members assuming they will be indeed taken off the ship?

No definitive statement that I'm aware of, but it is likely.  Future lifting of crew would be done by USCG helicopter if ship is at sea, or by ambulance to quarantine area if docked.

What visa are you going to give to the crew?  Most don't have the required paperwork to get a tourist visa, and certainly not a work visa.  Those taken off the ship will require a bonded agent outside the quarantine area 24/7, just as sick or injured crew do when taken off the ship in the US.  Depending on the quarantine arrangements, this may require many agents, so the number will be limited to those who truly need hospitalization as well as isolation.

Compensation to Grand passengers is similar to what the Diamond passengers received:

Princess Cruises will refund the full cruise fare for every Grand Princess guest, in addition to air travel, hotel, ground transportation, pre-paid shore excursions, gratuities and other items, save for jewelry and fine art. Guests will also not be charged for incidental charges accrued during their extra time aboard.

"Princess Cruises will also provide guests with a future cruise credit equal to the cruise fare paid for the voyage," according to a statement provided by Kamali on Monday. "Princess Cruises also confirmed that although all gratuities will be refunded back to guests the company will ensure crew members will receive their designated gratuities for the work performed." 

The cruise line delivered letters to their stateroom with refund-processing details.

above from https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/09/coronavirus-grand-princess-cruise-ship-disembarkation-process-passengers/4998726002/

Passing under the Golden Gate Bridge is one of my greatest memories on a cruise ship.  Wish everyone on the Grand Princess well.