Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

33 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Guess that's what happens when you are on the Grand dealing with this situation and you have a daughter who is a personal injury attorney in Broward County that deals with cruise ship issues.  The clients she filed for are her parents.

Only a matter of time before the vultures arrive. I could say a lot more but CC would ban me 😉 

• Haha 1

I heard a couple of interesting items while watching the ship sail into Oakland. Not sure if they are true or not?

1.  GP can't dock at that pier for very long, one reason there isn't sufficient "power" for her since its been closed for a few years?

2.  That there are 50+ different countries that the passengers are made up of.  That ALL of those countries have to charter a special airplane to get those pax home. Be it 75 or 5 passengers, one special aircraft per country. I had never thought of that. What a nightmare.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I noticed the red flag on the Grand Princess as she sailed into Oakland today, does that have a special significance? A quick search says it means it is carrying dangerous goods, is it true? Is it because of the illness on board?

3 minutes ago, ClwtrBoi said:

I noticed the red flag on the Grand Princess as she sailed into Oakland today, does that have a special significance? A quick search says it means it is carrying dangerous goods, is it true? Is it because of the illness on board?

Look again. It is the flag of its registry, Bermuda.

Just now, brisalta said:

Look again. It is the flag of its registry, Bermuda.

No, I know what the flag of Bermuda looks like; this is a swallowtail red flag together with the Princess flag, a US flag, and a California flag. 

15 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

It's great that the crew on board are getting the much needed break in trying to get food to all the passengers.  I'm sure all the crew and passengers are just so thankful.

This is the 2nd time this great organization has come to the aide of Princess.  Can't say enough about this great organization.  WCK steps in and is invaluable after hurricanes and was such a relief in the Bahamas after Dorian. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ClwtrBoi said:

No, I know what the flag of Bermuda looks like; this is a swallowtail red flag together with the Princess flag, a US flag, and a California flag. 

Oh! That would be Bravo (B) or ""I am taking in or discharging or carrying dangerous goods."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some screen shots from our local news.  21 passengers were taken directly to the hospital.  It looks like passengers walked down the ramps into the tents that were set up, and then were directed to buses.  The Canadians are supposed to fly out of Oakland Airport at 9 p.m. PDT  

The newscasters mentioned that hundreds of others boarded or will be boarding buses to Travis AFB or the airport.  Disembarkation will stop at 8 pm. and resume again tomorrow morning.  Those remaining on board are still quarantined in their cabins.

The headline in the 4th picture shows a news conference about the 1st Corona Virus death believed to be contracted from a community unknown source in Santa Clara County (Silicon valley -   Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc.) Many corporations are having their employees telecommute.  There is a new legal order banning mass gatherings (more than 1000 people in attendance.) Football season (49ers) is long over, but  ice hockey (San Jose Sharks) is not.  In other news from California, Stanford University and UC Berkeley have canceled in-person classes, and the largest school district in N. CA is closed this week, due to possible exposure to the virus.

Things are evolving rapidly in the Bay Area, as they are in many parts of the country (and world).

IMG_1389.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1399.jpeg

IMG_1402.jpeg

IMG_1403.jpeg

Edited by ams cruiser
clarity

1 minute ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

There is no "try", there is only "do" when it comes to protecting human life.   

From that comment I can only assume you have never been on a gang plank when one or more people are determined to go down at a higher speed than has been requested. People have to move or fall.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Certain media keeps saying Grand Princess had 21 passengers sick, but I have also heard it is 19 crew and only 2 passengers!!    I am concerned that Princess ignored sickness among crew and made them work -- that alone could spread the illness rapidly on the ship.   

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

Certain media keeps saying Grand Princess had 21 passengers sick, but I have also heard it is 19 crew and only 2 passengers!!    I am concerned that Princess ignored sickness among crew and made them work -- that alone could spread the illness rapidly on the ship.   

In certain sectors the quality of reportage and fact checking has gone down unfortunately.

It is 19 crew and 2 passengers infected is what was discovered by the first round of testing on the Grand Princess.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, brisalta said:

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/itinerary-modifications-cancellations.html has been updated. Grand Princess March 22, 2020 cruise is officially cancelled.

There are some people in Victoria BC (and Vancouver too I assume) who are hoping the March 29th cruise is also going to be cancelled.

Not that we haven’t already got it here. 🙁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1