Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

1 hour ago, cruiserchuck said:

There is virtually no way the March 29 cruise will take place.  Once the 14 day quarantine is over, massive cleaning will need to take place.  

I highly doubt the ship will be ready to sail.  Only if all passengers immediately test negative.  If someone tests positive during their quarantine the clock resets back to day 1.  At least that is how I understood it.

2 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

chicken ladies are on now...things are changing for them...last night got call from their governor...I think it is Nevada and they are going to get tested before they fly...apparently test used is fast results? If positive they stay in Ca. if not fly home and self quarantine.  I am wondering if this is special for them?

We live in Nevada and the local news reports that the  49 Nevada passengers will return to Nevada if they test negative. There will be secure travel back to Nevada and there are certain conditions they have to abide by set up by the Dept of Health. They will have to sign a Declaration of Self Quarantine and will self quarantine for 14 days.  The Health Dept will provide ground transportation to avoid exposure to the community.

de

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hobo1937 said:

We live in Nevada and the local news reports that the  49 Nevada passengers will return to Nevada if they test negative. There will be secure travel back to Nevada and there are certain conditions they have to abide by set up by the Dept of Health. They will have to sign a Declaration of Self Quarantine and will self quarantine for 14 days.  The Health Dept will provide ground transportation to avoid exposure to the community.

de

boy that is great...good work from the governor!!! Seems like a good plan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

Good plan IF all abide by the agreement, there is monitoring to ensure they abide AND they are tested before they are allowed to leave quarantine, Perhaps this is all part of the arrangements? 

They will be under supervision of the local Health District and could face criminal penalties if they don't follow the rules. 

1 minute ago, purduemom1 said:

Good plan IF all abide by the agreement, there is monitoring to ensure they abide AND they are tested before they are allowed to leave quarantine, Perhaps this is all part of the arrangements? 

I agree but there are 3 big IFs in your statement so I wonder!!!  And the hundreds of others quarantined in CA, TX and GA will question this arrangement.  A uniform policy for all seems better to me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

from what they said people are going to be checking on them each day....could they cheat...probably however I think they are so thankful to avoid the official military stay that they will comply.

Just now, bluesea321 said:

I agree but there are 3 big IFs in your statement so I wonder!!!  And the hundreds of others quarantined in CA, TX and GA will question this arrangement.  A uniform policy for all seems better to me.

yes I guess up to your governor?  I would be pretty upset if I was sitting at Lackland or the other spots.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hobo1937 said:

de

Good plan!

2 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

yes I guess up to your governor?  I would be pretty upset if I was sitting at Lackland or the other spots.

If I was given the option of home quarantine vs military base no way would I cheat! Also, they will be provided thermometers to check their temps and the health districts will make sure they will have medication and food deliveries. 

• Like 3

Good for them I guess but will be more of a hot mess if other governors/states step in with their own arrangements. So there are actually 49 of them? One lady in particular says she's not sick but she doesn't look well. 

32 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Sacramento County in California indicated today they no longer plan to quarantine people who might have been exposed to the virus.  

https://www.kcra.com/article/14-day-covid-19-quarantine-no-longer-necessary-sacramento-county-officials-say/31334725

Finally!  A reasonable policy.  All of these quarantines are just contributing to the general panic.  Treat it like a cold or flu unless symptoms become severe.  ALL people with the cold or flu need to self quarantine anyway.   I have seen co-workers come to work sick and I am in healthcare.  Ridiculous!  Maybe this will make everyone all more aware of what proper behavior should be when sick.  Stay away from other people, cover your nose or mouth with tissue or you sleeve when sneezing and coughing, manage the symptoms, get medical help if you don't improve in a few days or your symptoms become severe, protect the more vulnerable (in this case - the elderly & those with co-morbidities).  

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I would like to ask a question.  I got cancelled off my March 22nd Grand Princess cruise. I'm concerned about my March 29th one. So I'm asking for input to someone who's got expertise in this stuff.

If the passengers are off by Thursday then the crew quarantines for 14 days, do you think it can still go?

Not going to happen

• Like 2

While we may or may not agree with mass quarantine, I thought the condition for them to be taken off the ship was that they would ALL be in quarantine sites. I would not be happy if I were sent somewhere while others were sent home, even with supervision. The more vocal should not get special privileges. The poor woman waiting for chemo cannot even go home to her own bed. Just because your husband is giving you grief in the cabin is no reason for special treatment either. I’m sure everyone is stressed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

While we may or may not agree with mass quarantine, I thought the condition for them to be taken off the ship was that they would ALL be in quarantine sites. I would not be happy if I were sent somewhere while others were sent home, even with supervision. The more vocal should not get special privileges. The poor woman waiting for chemo cannot even go home to her own bed. Just because your husband is giving you grief in the cabin is no reason for special treatment either. I’m sure everyone is stressed.

I amy be wrong but the media reports indicates it is simply because Nevada does not have facilities to keep them in quarantine. If it is some special treatment that is just wrong.  AS for the lady from ND (or SD not sure) who is stage 4 and in pain...I don't have words for her not being taken to the closest hospital in  Ca. in an ambulance. She did an interview and if that does not get some attention  not sure what will. Just awful.

57 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Finally!  A reasonable policy.  All of these quarantines are just contributing to the general panic.

I agree a reasonable policy needs to be had.  This business of quarantining thousands of people that may or may not be ill in military compounds is abit of a knee jerk reaction considering the people that are flying around, taking buses and subways and generally out and about in public all over the country on any given day and  most likely some of those millions have been within the contact realm of a carrier who probably feels fine.  I could not believe how they were herding those poor passengers so tightly together off the ship and through to the buses then packing them on buses.  If they weren't sick when they stepped foot onto that gangway they have a higher chance now of getting sick. Test them (they should have done that a couple days ago) and send them home and let their local health departments monitor them.  Self quarantine after potential exposure is happening everywhere, so why are they treating these thousands of people so differently. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

I amy be wrong but the media reports indicates it is simply because Nevada does not have facilities to keep them in quarantine. If it is some special treatment that is just wrong.  AS for the lady from ND (or SD not sure) who is stage 4 and in pain...I don't have words for her not being taken to the closest hospital in  Ca. in an ambulance. She did an interview and if that does not get some attention  not sure what will. Just awful.

Most others were not sent to their home states.

As for the other lady, I can’t imagine anyone would administer chemo to someone who may have been recently exposed to the virus. It may seen harsh but going on the cruise was not her best decision under the circumstances and timing.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, caribill said:

All passengers, USA or elsewhere, will be tested in their home countries once they are evacuated to there.

Pence, being USA V.P., was not trying to cover passengers going to other countries.

Curious ... Are those who are international guest flying regular commercial flights back to their countries?  Any restrictions? 

• Like 1

https://www.montereycountyweekly.com/blogs/news_blog/several-grand-princess-cruise-ship-passengers-to-be-quarantined-at/article_e082fc1e-6328-11ea-8048-4b9bca392020.html

Looks like some will do their quarantine in Monterey County CA. For those who don’t know, Asilomar is a state owned conference ground. I’ve stayed there for two conferences. I’ve also stayed as a public visitor reserving rooms. I’m not sure how they’ll keep them segregated unless they intend to post guards at their doors - it is an open sprawling facility. Asilomar has a dinning Hall, but I don’t think they have room service, so I’m not sure how they’ll get meals to the people in quarantine. Asilomar is sited amongst pines and has a walking path through dunes to nearby Asilomar Beach but the rooms are rustic and fairly spartan, and, except for a cottage or two, no TVs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I don’t like the idea of locking people up for the sake of consistency or so the governor of California won’t be questioned for doing so to others or because somebody over the television looks sick to a participant on this thread.

Edited by Wehwalt

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not just cruise ships, all ships.  And, the law only requires the ship to go on shore power, when it is available.  So, if it is at a dock that does not have shore power, then it can stay using its engines burning CARB compatible fuel (ultra-low sulfur diesel).

Thank you for the clarification.

3 hours ago, kathy49 said:

She is 60 and her medical needs have no doubt been assessed. My, she did a few interviews, didn’t she? If there had been a medical reason for giving her special treatment ahead of the other passengers she would have received it. 

• Like 1