Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

1 hour ago, whirlybird3 said:

Curious ... Are those who are international guest flying regular commercial flights back to their countries?  Any restrictions? 

In the case of Canada it was a government charter of a specially configured aircraft.  It flew non-stop from Oakland airport to Trenton (a Canadian Air force base) where the Canadian would be housed in quarantine for 14 days. 

Not certain about staffing on this specific flight, the previous flights had Health Canada doctors on board supported by Canadian Forces Medics handling the in-flight service and taking temperatures.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whirlybird3 said:

Curious ... Are those who are international guest flying regular commercial flights back to their countries?  Any restrictions? 

Government charters from their home countries. International passengers will be taken directly from the ship to the planes out on the tarmac at Oakland airport. None of them will go through the airport terminal.

I've seen media suggestions that some crew members may also go to their home countries that way instead of staying here for their quarantine. Final plans for the crew haven't been released yet so that might just be media speculation.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, whirlybird3 said:

The British passengers have been flown back on a special charter, on arriving in the UK they are allowed to go home and self-isolate.

Edited by debsjc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, em-sk said:

In the case of Canada it was a government charter of a specially configured aircraft.  It flew non-stop from Oakland airport to Trenton (a Canadian Air force base) where the Canadian would be housed in quarantine for 14 days. 

Not certain about staffing on this specific flight, the previous flights had Health Canada doctors on board supported by Canadian Forces Medics handling the in-flight service and taking temperatures.   

Interestingly enough however, of the 19 crew who tested positive i believe 4 were Canadian and like the rest of the approx. 1200 crew are being left onboard and isolated there.

Not  criticizing the Canadian gov't but surely there would be less issue with landing and repatriating a Canadian crew member as compared to another foreign national?  Also, there's still the big unknown and otherwise unmentioned elephant in the room here with respect to the results of those passengers who've been disembarked and waiting for test results.  Sure they're already in isolation, but what happens to the ship and the conversation when the numbers of infected jumps from 2 passengers to many more??  Hard to believe that with 19 crew testing positive (approx 1.5% of the crew population onboard) that there won't be more cases of passengers testing positive, especially if 2 were waiters if i'm not mistaken and if 4 were Canadian i guarantee they would have been in a passenger facing role (i.e. pursers, photographers, boutique staff, etc)....just some food for thought

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Interestingly enough however, of the 19 crew who tested positive i believe 4 were Canadian and like the rest of the approx. 1200 crew are being left onboard and isolated there.

Not  criticizing the Canadian gov't but surely there would be less issue with landing and repatriating a Canadian crew member as compared to another foreign national?  Also, there's still the big unknown and otherwise unmentioned elephant in the room here with respect to the results of those passengers who've been disembarked and waiting for test results.  Sure they're already in isolation, but what happens to the ship and the conversation when the numbers of infected jumps from 2 passengers to many more??  Hard to believe that with 19 crew testing positive (approx 1.5% of the crew population onboard) that there won't be more cases of passengers testing positive, especially if 2 were waiters if i'm not mistaken and if 4 were Canadian i guarantee they would have been in a passenger facing role (i.e. pursers, photographers, boutique staff, etc)....just some food for thought

All 21 were the very first off and they left in ambulances.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

I don't think Canada would have treated the passengers or crew any differently.  They asked Canadian citizens and permanent residents to register into their system.  One policy they have consistently applied and stated in press conferences also applied in this case is that anyone who shows symptoms of being infected will not be on the flight and should obtain medical attention locally.  The same policy was applied with the flights form China and Japan.

I agree with the number of infected crew it is very likely we will see more passengers develop symptoms in the coming days. 

2 minutes ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

All 21 were the very first off and they left in ambulances.

OK, they mentioned on the  news last night that the crew were left onboard in isolation....but it still doesn't change the fact that those who tested positive were free to roam the ship for a duration of time prior to being confirmed as positive and then isolated...

Edited by Captain_Morgan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, a.madruga said:

I hope this will change the serving process of food at the buffet

such as they do on HAL.....

No, it won't change a thing.

As soon as this blows over, things will be back to normal once again. 

Do not be so sure that WFM/HC serving process will not change.  This is a serious hit to the industry and is not going away anytime soon.  The medical people are saying that COVID19 is going away anytime soon similar to past experience.  They are fearful that it will return after a summer hiatus in the fall in a much larger presence maybe similar to the 1917/1918 flu epidemic but hopefully not.  Until a vaccine is found, tested and marketed we have no defense against this virus.  My onetime cruise on HAL I remember the buffet area with the serving line where they filled your plate cafeteria style with very few options to serve yourself.  It certainly would hold down noro outbreaks.  As for the subject of this thread, frivolous lawsuits are filed every day and this will most likely be one. 

If they were so fearful, then they should have stayed home.  As far as I can tell, it's not mandatory to take a cruise and certainly they were aware of the problem beforehand.

I can't believe the lengths people will go for money...

• Like 2

I'm surprised it actually took this long for someone to sue....

My opinion, I can't see the Carnival Cooperation(which owns Princess, pls correct me if i'm wrong), 'giving in' to this. If so, they will end up bankrupt. Once you pay the first lawsuit, how long before the class action suits begin?.....

Sad situation all around

For those in Canada and Nevada that are doing home isolation, what are the logistics? How do they get from the the airport to their home?  If they are being transported on public transit from the plane to their homes, are they tested first?  Or only if they show symptoms?

5 minutes ago, charmed1959 said:

For those in Canada and Nevada that are doing home isolation, what are the logistics? How do they get from the the airport to their home?  If they are being transported on public transit from the plane to their homes, are they tested first?  Or only if they show symptoms?

We will probably find out after they are transported home due to security risks. They will probably want the people to feel safe and not have any problems from wine crazy person who discovers the plan. 

Testing will most likely happen at a secure location prior to going home.

31 minutes ago, KBYUCougar said:

We will probably find out after they are transported home due to security risks. They will probably want the people to feel safe and not have any problems from wine crazy person who discovers the plan. 

Testing will most likely happen at a secure location prior to going home.

honestly the price of going on a cruise is really getting high...really high...the 2 week quarantine (wherever that may be) plus what some are reporting upon completing the required quarantine and returning home only to be shunned by community and some friends.  These reports were made by DP returning passengers...one woman who NEVER had the virus included.  Given we know no little about the virus this was bound to happen.

• Like 1