Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

21 minutes ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

The Hot Chicken ladies on the Grand posted yesterday in a video on You Tube that they will be quarantined in their homes in Nevada. Other articles I've read in this thread said that all 49 passengers from Nevada will be quarantined in their homes.

I haven't read about any other states using in-home quarantine for their residents from the Grand, but that doesn't necessarily mean that no other states are doing this.

And then the question is, if this is true, are they the only ones in their households back in Nevada?  If there are others, shouldn't they also quarantine in the home if they go back to NV?

Not singling them out, but all who are sent home to self quarantine. What if some have elderly parents at home? Do they want to go back un-tested?  

Just confused.

Edited by kimanjo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

And then the question is, if this is true, are they the only ones in their households back in Nevada?  If there are others, shouldn't they also quarantine in the home if they go back to NV?

As far as I can tell from their videos, one sister lives by herself, although her home is attached to her daughter's home by a door. The other sister apparently lives with her husband and son, both of whom shared a stateroom with the two sisters on the Grand.

46 minutes ago, Jaxweb said:

I can’t believe anyone would ask that question. 
Quite obviously, because she is a cancer patient receiving chemo which compromises her immune system and taking a cruise greatly increases her chances of catching communicable diseases including and beyond COVID-19.

She had not started taking chemo yet. The first chemo treatment was scheduled to have been after the cruise was scheduled to end.

1 minute ago, caribill said:

She had not started taking chemo yet. The first chemo treatment was scheduled to have been after the cruise was scheduled to end.

She was on tv though saying something to the effect of being scared of missing her chemo appointment wondering if the cancer will be growing inside her as a result. 

That worry could have been avoided if she didn’t go forward with the cruise with a chemo appointment scheduled shortly after. 

• Like 1

8 minutes  ago, Jaxweb said:    

She was on tv though saying something to the effect of being scared of missing her chemo appointment wondering if the cancer will be growing inside her as a result. 

That worry could have been avoided if she didn’t go forward with the cruise with a chemo appointment scheduled shortly after. 

----

She had not yet started the chmo treatments as she had been waiting for health insurance approval. The appointment she was worried about missing would have been her first treatment.

8 minutes ago, caribill said:

She had not yet started the chmo treatments as she had been waiting for health insurance approval. The appointment she was worried about missing would have been her first treatment.

At the time she boarded, many folks (including the President) were saying not to worry too much about the virus.  Maybe she wanted to get this cruise in since future cruises might be in doubt due to her condition.  

• Thanks 1

Just heard something fleeting on the news as i was surfing channels where they specifically said one person disembarked and flew home and then tested positive upon reaching home.

Not sure if this is a situation of a local CA resident or neighboring state who's not being sent to one of the AF bases, but it doesn't bode well if people are walking around with a virus just waiting to kick off...suffice it to say i think the original number of 19 crew and 2 passengers is going to grow exponentially in the coming days/weeks

• Like 1

the chicken lady reported in and instead of flying to Nevada they put them on a bus  and they don't have a clue what is happening. She said the people on the bus and getting very angry. Her husband Wayne had a "medical event" today and they took him away to a hospital and she does not have a clue where he is.  Sorry but they are being treated very poorly and I feel so bad for all those people on that bus...some coughing and no doubt some have the virus. Why would they fly them to SAN? Their state government knows nothing about this.

Edited by kathy49
  • Like 1

Update on the Hot Chicken ladies from the Grand. One of the sisters just posted a short You Tube video.  In the video, one of the sisters (Leah) said that they are currently on a bus to the airport, and will be flown to Miramar in San Diego, apparently to be tested before they go home to Nevada. There is a lot of confusion since they had been led to believe they were going straight home. Nevada state officials did not know what was going on.

Leah's husband had an unspecified medial incident this morning, and was taken to an Oakland hospital. They have no word on what will happen when he is discharged from the hospital.

Note: As I mentioned above, Leah said that they are on a bus to the airport and will fly to San Diego.

Edited by ChiCruiser758
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

The Grand was scheduled to dock in Seattle on 1 April for the start of the Alaska cruise season.  The Seattle Port Authority has just refused to let her dock along with the Celebrity Eclipse on 5 April.  It will be interesting to see if she is allowed to dock in Vancouver the next day.  

I would think not, given that the BC public health officers are asking everybody cancel their cruises.   Seattle just banned gatherings of more than 150 people.   I think the summer Alaska season is gone, but of course that is a very small issue compared to everything else.

(Listening to the Seattle news conference is fairly scary to put it mildly.)

I can't imagine why on earth they would put those poor passengers on a bus together untested for over 8+ hours drive all the way to San Diego??? Out of state passengers were supposed to be flown to their home states. What a mess for these poor people.

2 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

I can't imagine why on earth they would put those poor passengers on a bus together untested for over 8+ hours drive all the way to San Diego??? Out of state passengers were supposed to be flown to their home states. What a mess for these poor people.

I seriously doubt that passengers are going to San Diego by bus. Leah from the Hot Chicken ladies said that they are being taken by bus to the airport. Also, I've been keeping up with the roll call for that cruise, and at least one other passenger said that they were flown to San Diego.

1 minute ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

I seriously doubt that passengers are going to San Diego by bus. Leah from the Hot Chicken ladies said that they are being taken by bus to the airport. Also, I've been keeping up with the roll call for that cruise, and at least one other passenger said that they were flown to San Diego.

I sure hope so that's outrageous otherwise.

Edited by flyguyjake

5 minutes ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

i misunderstood yes must be flying to SAN but that really makes little sense . You have to treat passengers fairly and tell them what is going on....at this point I don't know who is in charge but Leah was so distressed not sure how much more she can take. The masks are useless...the extremely cheap ones ...why could they not test them before putting them on that bus?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Do not be so sure that WFM/HC serving process will not change.  This is a serious hit to the industry and is not going away anytime soon.  The medical people are saying that COVID19 is going away anytime soon similar to past experience.  They are fearful that it will return after a summer hiatus in the fall in a much larger presence maybe similar to the 1917/1918 flu epidemic but hopefully not.  Until a vaccine is found, tested and marketed we have no defense against this virus.  My onetime cruise on HAL I remember the buffet area with the serving line where they filled your plate cafeteria style with very few options to serve yourself.  It certainly would hold down noro outbreaks.  As for the subject of this thread, frivolous lawsuits are filed every day and this will most likely be one. 

We also have to consider that bats have a lot of viruses similar to Covid-19 (SARS and MERS are the most prominent) so the threat will always be with us.   Frankly, we have been rather lucky since 1918 given how interconnected our world is.   Until we figure out a generic way of combatting coronaviruses this threat is always present -- and if we could have figured that out we would have ended most causes of the common cold.

This would not be a frivolous lawsuit, that expands the definition beyond all reason.   It may or may not have much merit but it is certainly an arguable case based on facts and law.    A frivolous lawsuit is something like a prisoner suing the President for 12 billion dollars because his soup was served too cold one day.

34 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

I would think not, given that the BC public health officers are asking everybody cancel their cruises.   Seattle just banned gatherings of more than 150 people.   I think the summer Alaska season is gone, but of course that is a very small issue compared to everything else.

(Listening to the Seattle news conference is fairly scary to put it mildly.)

Both the BC (Provincial) and Federal health authorities are suggesting this is not a good time for going on cruises.  However they are not block the ships from operating out of Vancouver.  

Yesterdays feedback from the port authority:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03/10/no-plans-to-block-cruise-ships-vancouver/

The situation is fluid and may change. However just now, if they can convince the authorities that the Grand is disease free just now it looks like it will be able to home port up here.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Just heard something fleeting on the news as i was surfing channels where they specifically said one person disembarked and flew home and then tested positive upon reaching home.

Not sure if this is a situation of a local CA resident or neighboring state who's not being sent to one of the AF bases, but it doesn't bode well if people are walking around with a virus just waiting to kick off...suffice it to say i think the original number of 19 crew and 2 passengers is going to grow exponentially in the coming days/weeks

CNN reported that one Canadian passenger did test positive after getting to Canada. The other Canadians from the Grand remain in quanatine.

In this case, "home" is the home country, not the persons house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

i misunderstood yes must be flying to SAN but that really makes little sense . You have to treat passengers fairly and tell them what is going on....at this point I don't know who is in charge but Leah was so distressed not sure how much more she can take. The masks are useless...the extremely cheap ones ...why could they not test them before putting them on that bus?

because its a trade off.  The other option would be to leave them on the ship until they were tested which might be a few more days. 

So the option is get them to quarantine center ASAP and do testing there where there are hospitals already set up to receive patients form the quarantine center. 

Or keep them on the ship and only transport those that test negative to the quarantine center which mean leaving them on board with the crew for longer, and the second issue would be what to do with those that test positive. I don't think Oakland really wants them in their hospitals.

As the Diamond seemed to prove the best course is get them off ship as soon as possible.

• Like 2