Celebrity No Refund Virus

James E H

My upcoming Cruise with Celebrity…

My upcoming May 10th Cruise with Celebrity Cruises on the Millennium from Tokyo to Vancouver was recently cancelled by Celebrity because of the Coronavirus. I have no issue with Celebrities decision to cancel the cruise, safety first, what. My issue is with the extraordinary level of Customer NO Service with regards to communicating and refunding monies to passengers such as I who have paid in full for the Cruise, Hotels and Airfares.

As I booked this Cruise in the US but am now in Europe, I am unable to call the US 800 number and if I call the European office I am referred back to the US office. Emails one asks, ahh yes emails. I have received only one email from Celebrity informing me that I will receive a refund for the cruise passage only, to be issued back to my credit card after two billing cycles. My prepaid non-changeable and non-refundable hotels and airfare cost would only be reimbursed up to a maximum amount of $300 upon submittal of the cancellation receipts.

As I have expended over $3,000 on non-refundable, non-changeable airfares and hotels associated with this cruise, its safe to say that I am not happy with Celebrity Cruises. To add insult to injury, the email stated that I would be receiving a $300 voucher for a future cruise with Celebrity. I would like to tell them what they can do with there voucher only my complaint might not be posted.

To date all of my emails to Celebrity Cruises have gone unanswered and so it's safe to say that I will never book a Cruise with Celebrity again and would advise those who are planning a cruise to avoid Celebrity. They have a reimbursement policy and a customer service department that is non-existent (except for new bookings) when an issue arises or a legitimate request for a refund is made.

PS: This is the first review that I have ever Posted, be it for a hotel, a restaurant or a cruise line and I am a frequent cruiser,  which should tell you the level of dissatisfaction that I have with Celebrity. 

Edited by James E H
Grammer
  • Like 1

OP I really do feel sorry for you re your cancelled cruise and financial loss....You are one of many across all cruise lines.

Do you have travel insurance? They may cover some of your flight and hotel loss. Also have you contacted your airline, many are offering ‘open tickets’ for 12 months...Worth a phone call. 

As you say, Celebrity were right to cancel your cruise. If your airfare was not booked as part of a package with them then they can not be responsible for reimbursing you when the situation was beyond their control. 

Many of us like you book none refundable flights and hotels because they are cheaper, it is in situations like this where you loose out if your insurance will not cover.

Celebrity customer service can be a a little slow but I wouldn’t be too unhappy with a slow response at the moment. There are lots of passengers with cruises between now and May who need to be a higher priority.

I am sorry you have decided never to book a cruise with Celebrity again as they offer a fantastic cruise experience....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, James E H said:

This is the first review that I have ever Posted, be it for a hotel, a restaurant or a cruise line and I am a frequent cruiser,  which should tell you the level of dissatisfaction that I have with Celebrity.

Perhaps it should - but it doesn't.  As a frequent traveller you should appreciate that the cruise line is only responsible for the refunds for the bookings you made with them.  You have travel insurance to cover flights or hotels which you chose to book in addition.  It isn't X's fault that you are a US citizen now residing in Europe - the laws are different depending on whether you booked in the US or the EU.  They provide contact details to avoid passengers being given the wrong information.   

The travel chaos the virus has caused, not just the cruise ships but to all travel companies (you might find your flight has been or would be cancelled by the airline - different issue...) is extensive.  I'm afraid I can't find fault with X for slow service on this occasion.  The workload for the cancelled cruises must be overwhelming to their customer services department.  

I'm sorry that something X has little or no control over has tainted your view of thier service.  But they are genuinely not responsible for your choice of where to live or what additions you chose to book to supplement your cruise.

It is a curiosity that we will perhaps see more of - some EU based cruisers on these boards started to book through the US to get refundable deposits.  But in so doing took themsleves out of the ABTA / ATOL provisions.  Not what you did OP  - quite appreicate that!  - but I do wonder if we might see more confusions arising from that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sounds to me that a Celebrity is actually quite generous.  The virus is not their fault, why should they be responsible for your other costs?  The $300 change fee for the airfare and the FCC are excellent good will gestures.  You chose to take the risk for non-refundable fares and apparently didn’t purchase any insurance, is that Celebrity’s fault?  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, James E H said:

As I booked this Cruise in the US but currently residing in Europe, I am unable to call the US 800 number and if I call the European office I am referred back to the US office.

I am in the UK and have spoken to the US via the 800 number before. Google is you friend on how to do that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our cruise on Millennium was canceled as well. We received the refund about 10 days later and the additional FCC last week.
Although currently in Germany I have NO problem reaching Celebrity USA at all - there are other numbers than the 800 numbers. When I sent an email, I was contacted from the US by phone - so no problem there at all.

Just like everyone involved I would to hear from them every day - but have to realize that they have their hands full and I am not the only customer.

Personally, I am grateful that they handle everything so generous - even if flights and hotels weren´t booked with them.

I think patience and gratitude are the key words here...

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Miaminice said:

Travel insurances do not cover epidemics - as many people now found out.

I’m aware of that. It Celebrity themselves cancels the cruise, good travel insurance policies will cover losses like hotels and such . A person just wanting to cancel their cruise for themselves over virus fears is a different issue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dealing with travel issues across the pond is not always easy.

We found that out dealing with British Airways some yrs ago when he had to cancel a cruise for a medical reason just after final payment was made. We had insurance  and our pre cruise hotel was part of our cruise booking,   but reaching British Airways  at off hrs for us was very difficult, and they had the Customer Service skills of a stone. There were also big  airline/ airport fees that were non refundable  and not covered by our ins but we accepted whatever we could recoup.

If we ever do another big trip we'd book everything as a package with the cruiseline including hotel, air etc. Much easier in the event cancellation is needed by either party.

Lately, we stick close to home and try to fly Southwest Airlines which allows liberal changes for a year!   And this scenario shows another good reason to book fully refundable cruise fares.  Pay more but retain more control

Sorry for OP loss of funds if there's no ins but do not see how X is  obligated to cover air or hotel it did not arrange.

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity is not responsible for what is happening so therefore not responsible for your costs other than the cruise portion. You chose not to be their customer for flights and hotels.  They are also dealing with 10 of thousands of customers over this and would not have the staff or lines to talk with every disgruntled passenger

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

All Celebrity is responsible for is what is booked through them.  You opted to book airfare and hotels outside of Celebrity (we do too) so the risk is yours and yours alone.  Tough lesson, but a lesson none the less.  We often share the same risk when it comes to airfare but never ever book non refundable hotels.  Costs more, but no risk.

Hope that once your cruise fare is refunded that you will feel a bit better about Celebrity. The virus is not their fault and they are giving you everything back that you gave to THEM.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

This thread is an eye opening about cruising and cruise lines  cancellations policies.

This is an unprecedented situation.. Totally not a choice that the cruise line wants to make. They are looking after their customers as the airline and hotels should as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

Travel insurances do not cover epidemics - as many people now found out.

Travel Insurance will cover this epidemic "IF" one purchased insurance before 20 January 2020, this is per a few travel insurance professionals.

bon voyage

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Did you purchase travel insurance for your vacation? Yes or no? 

LOL, most likely not since they are here, for the first time, loaded for bear!

Welcome OP on your first post under this screen name...

bon voyage

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruise47 said:

This thread is an eye opening about cruising and cruise lines  cancellations policies.

Yes, you can read in some of the other sub-forums here on CC, from the beginning of this situation each line had their own policy... from no refunds at all to only FCC to a mix of both in various amounts of both...

Now that things are settling down in planning and logistics these policies are leveling out in terms of what to expect and to a great degree are similar.

bon voyage

That's what travel insurance is for. If you didn't book your air with X and didn't get insurance for your flights/hotels you rolled the dice and lost. What if you had gotten sick and couldn't go? Or broke a leg... or missed a connection? You'd be out $$$ in those situations, too. 

Everyone is reporting that refunds are typically slow... and right now, VERY slow, to receive. 

Does your travel insurance cover any of your non-refundable air or hotel costs?  Or possibly your credit card has some travel insurance benefits that you could use.

i understand your frustration with delays in processing refunds, the airlines are taking longer than normal.  I just cancelled  return air for a cruise and was told to expect to see the refund in 2 billing cycles also.  Our hotel booking was refundable.

I don’t understand your anger at Celebrity for not reimbursing your non-refundable expenses.  You chose a non-refundable hotel & airline ticket, presumably as these were less expensive.  You chose the class of air and the type of hotel, possibly premium economy or business where others may chose economy.   These were your decisions not Celebrity’s.

Hopefully you chose to purchase travel insurance.  

2 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

That's what travel insurance is for. If you didn't book your air with X and didn't get insurance for your flights/hotels you rolled the dice and lost. What if you had gotten sick and couldn't go? Or broke a leg... or missed a connection? You'd be out $$$ in those situations, too. 

Everyone is reporting that refunds are typically slow... and right now, VERY slow, to receive. 

Except most travel insurance won't cover this if it's even indirectly related to the virus (if your policy excludes epidemics, which most do).  Here's what my insurance had to say about it.  I've reached out to them directly but after a week, still no response.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/coverage-alerts/2019-novel-coronavirus.htm

When I book I don't expect the cruise line to refund air and hotels I booked on my own. That is a deal I made with those vendors. As for hotels I always book with the cancel option and don't book non refundable. You do save a little paying in advance but then you have no options. It was OP decision to book non refundable so really that is on them. As for airfare I would be calling the airlines. Possibly they can get a voucher to use at another time. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

When I book I don't expect the cruise line to refund air and hotels I booked on my own. That is a deal I made with those vendors. As for hotels I always book with the cancel option and don't book non refundable. You do save a little paying in advance but then you have no options. It was OP decision to book non refundable so really that is on them. As for airfare I would be calling the airlines. Possibly they can get a voucher to use at another time. 

RE: As for airfare I would be calling the airlines. Possibly they can get a voucher to use at another time. 

I know from personal experience a while back I had to cancel a flight with JetBlue due to a medical issue; they issued a voucher for a future flight which was valid for one year.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, James E H said:

so it's safe to say that I will never book a Cruise with Celebrity again and would advise those who are planning a cruise to avoid Celebrity.

Part 1: I would like to say we will miss you...

Part 2: ...because we are not following your advice.

• Haha 1