Carnival breakfastv hash

airdale

I love a hash with corned beef and fresh potatoes in the morning with a couple of eggs.  That being said, is the hash in the MDR fresh cooked or some warmed up and maybe even a canned hash?  I don't care for a soft mushy type hash or overly cooked crunchy hash.

EGGS...I have never had a restaurant fixed poached egg...are the whites completely done and not runny?  I want the yokes soft but not the whites.

I usually have my eggs fried medium, but sometimes the cooks rush them and the whites around the soft yokes are runny so I have them sent back.  Always ask for my eggs cooked as a single or no more than in pairs.

• Like 1

Even excellent land based restaurants chefs' have difficulty to providing poached eggs that meet my expectations.  On a cruise, it's a "crap shoot" when one orders poached eggs as to what the final product will be like regardless of whatever the cruise line.  I don't get Poached Eggs and Corned Beef Hash often at home.  If the dish comes close to my expectations, I am thankful.

5 hours ago, airdale said:

I usually have my eggs fried medium

That's my preference as well, but the definition of "medium" seems to differ in the minds of many chefs/cooks of the restaurants that I patronize.  

Though not on a Carnival Ship but the QM2, I love to try different breakfast items.

This time I want to add Hash to the breakfast. I like a proper egg on the top with some catup in btw the two.

And the time is right, pierce the yolk over the hash.. 

OK you two...Rkacruiser, what is a  poached egg that meets your "expectations"?  What exactly are you looking for in it?

Also BklynBoy8, what is a "proper egg?  What are you looking for in it?

Mine as I said, the whites must be solid and the yokes still runny.

Does a soft poached egg suppose to meet those parameters?  Thanks again.  Don

15 hours ago, airdale said:

Rkacruiser, what is a  poached egg that meets your "expectations"?

On 3/4/2020 at 2:25 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

pierce the yolk over the hash.. 

That's what I prefer as well.  I do prefer the whites of the egg to be firm--not hard--but firm.

On 3/4/2020 at 2:25 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

I like a proper egg on the top with some catup in btw the two.

Egg on top, but no condiment between the Hash and the egg.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

That's what I prefer as well. 

I do prefer the whites of the egg to be firm--not hard--but firm.

Egg on top, but no condiment between the Hash and the egg.  

Hi Rkacruiser,

I agree the whites must be partially firm to sit well on the patty of hash.

I like the creaminess of the yolk on the hash when pierced, and whatever drips off I use a good partially toasted slice of rye bread to dampen it up.

Granted catsup is a personally preference.

When personally making hash and this has not reasoning to the area of the country one lives, I like green peppers, vadalia onions, Idaho potatoes, fresh parsley, fresh thyme, fresh dill, fresh oregano and olive oil. With some room for various changes if it fits.

Having it in the freezer, I think I will have it on Saturday Morn...

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I agree the whites must be partially firm to sit well on the patty of hash.

I like the creaminess of the yolk on the hash when pierced, and whatever drips off I use a good partially toasted slice of rye bread to dampen it up.

I prefer a toasted slice of whole wheat bread.  Otherwise, we are on the same page.

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Having it in the freezer, I think I will have it on Saturday Morn...

What's the time for breakfast?  😀

Edited by rkacruiser

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I prefer a toasted slice of whole wheat bread.  Otherwise, we are on the same page.

What's the time for breakfast?  😀

We have so many Jewish Deli's in Brooklyn that fresh made Corned Beef is available. You don't have to wait till the English Pub Restaurants make it for St Patty's Day.

Breakfast is typical at 930AM - 10AM...lol.

The freezing doesn't affect it but take abit longer to defrost and pan fry it on each side several times. 

True about Whole Wheat is healthier. The Rye bread was from the Deli that the Corned Beef came from.

Oh well, now I have to have it on Saturday Morning.....you got my mouth watering for it...lol

• Like 1

I prefer the white completely set. no run what so ever.  Now the yoke has to be really runny. 

I also wait until the egg has cooled before eating it...the yoke has a much more flavor to it when cooled.  My father-in-law (Dad) taught me that trick decades ago.  He used to wait maybe 15 minutes to 1/2 hour after Ma (Mother-in-law) put the plate of eggs on the table to start to eat.  I would snag a couple of hot eggs and eat them.   Dad always waited.  I asked why one time and he told me that a cooled yoke had more flavor.  I challenged that thought and he had Ma cook some more eggs in two batches.  The first batch (2 eggs) we let cool and then Ma cooked the second batch (2 eggs) which I ate one of the hot ones right off the bat, then a cool egg.  Dad was so correct...the cooled off egg had more flavor.  I have eaten them that way from then on.  Don

• 3 months later...
On 3/8/2020 at 11:49 AM, Donald said:

I always choose my cruise line based on the quality of pseudo dog food they serve in the buffet.

Hash does have the smell and texture of dog food .  However I still like it once or twice a year. Herefords is the best but very hard to find. 

5 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Hash does have the smell and texture of dog food .  However I still like it once or twice a year. Herefords is the best but very hard to find. 

It really great to make it at home with your particular seasoning to make it more acceptable.

We like to try it at restaurants to see what it is like but at home is great. Also enjoyed it on the QM2. Acceptable.

If the dining room Hash is made with fresh cooked breakfast potatoes, real corned beef sliced off a brisket ( a nice amount, lets not be skimpy) and not canned, nor processed, maybe some onions and/or a little green peppers, but not needed, a couple of eggs and I can be a happy cruiser for sure.  Some Siracha sauce would complete the deal!  Don

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, airdale said:

If the dining room Hash is made with fresh cooked breakfast potatoes, real corned beef sliced off a brisket ( a nice amount, lets not be skimpy) and not canned, nor processed, maybe some onions and/or a little green peppers, but not needed, a couple of eggs and I can be a happy cruiser for sure.  Some Siracha sauce would complete the deal!  Don

I like the whites of the poached eggs to be firm with the yolks runny, but properly cooked.  Onions and green peppers added; for sure.  No condiments of a sauce or catsup needed, but add a serving of Lyonnaise Potatoes.  Hot, buttered whole wheat toast would complete my breakfast.  

It's good to dream!

I have never tried a poached egg, mainly because I need my whites firm and the yokes soft, but even when they fry the eggs in pairs, if the yokes are too close together when cooking, the whites between the eggs is still runny.  UGH, sorry, just NOT my cup of tea.  Is it easier for the cooks to get a poached egg cooked correctly?   I don't require the Siracha sauce but I do enjoy the taste with some foods.  Toast?  I don't need that either as I watch my carbs.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:34 PM, airdale said:

Is it easier for the cooks to get a poached egg cooked correctly?   

Good question and one that I have no answer for other than it may depend on the skill of the cook.

I have more satisfaction when I order poached eggs in the MDR than in a Lido-type restaurant.  The poached eggs are sometimes served with a "vinegar" aroma/or subtle taste.  I think vinegar is added to the poaching water for some reason which I don't know.

I would wish that Lyonnaise Potatoes would be available.  I really like them and it is a dish that is difficult to find in any restaurant anymore.

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

*Good question and one that I have no answer for other than it may depend on the skill of the cook.

*I have more satisfaction when I order poached eggs in the MDR than in a Lido-type restaurant.  The poached eggs are sometimes served with a "vinegar" aroma/or subtle taste.  I think vinegar is added to the poaching water for some reason which I don't know.

*I would wish that Lyonnaise Potatoes would be available.  I really like them and it is a dish that is difficult to find in any restaurant anymore.

Hi rkacruiser,

*It's really not hard to make Poached Eggs at home. Took me several times and that was it. It's my DW's favorite egg. I also use them on my favorite breakfast - Egg's Benedict.

*The vinegar is used in the water to bind the whites together. With vinegar in the water works with the proteins.

I can't stand when restaurants have a bunch of poached eggs together in cold water and reheated.

*Lyonnaise Potatoes are easy to make. Most places use Hash Browns or German Fried Potatoes. I can't stand when a location and I seen them on a cruise ship - Breakfast Potatoes that look like the ones you get in McDonalds. Looks like small triangles.

I learned how to make poached eggs from my father who was a Chef and also a very special chef called Jacques Pepin.

If you wish to learn how to make them, Chef Jacques may have a You Tube video.

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

*Lyonnaise Potatoes are easy to make. Most places use Hash Browns or German Fried Potatoes. I can't stand when a location and I seen them on a cruise ship - Breakfast Potatoes that look like the ones you get in McDonalds. Looks like small triangles.

It's not often when one finds Lyonnaise Potatoes on any restaurant's menu.  Onboard, it seems even more rare,  The hash brown potato triangles that are now served aboard the ships  more often than not:  wouldn't surprise me if they were prepared by the same company that provides such for McDonald's.  They look the same; they taste the same; the consistency of the potato is the same.

48 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

It's not often when one finds Lyonnaise Potatoes on any restaurant's menu.  Onboard, it seems even more rare,  The hash brown potato triangles that are now served aboard the ships  more often than not:  wouldn't surprise me if they were prepared by the same company that provides such for McDonald's.  They look the same; they taste the same; the consistency of the potato is the same.

Bet you R Right !

Lyonnaise are potatoes, onions, butter and parlsey...

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

bklynboy8 beat me to the punch.  As he mentioned the vinegar help hold the egg white proteins together when free poaching directly in water.  One good thing about free poaching (instead of using a pan over steaming water) is that though you might not get a 'firm' white, you will pretty much ALWAYS get a cooked white (more spread out) whereas in a pan, it's a lot harder to get a cooked white without over cooking the yolk.

When making Eggs Benedict, I actually also use vinegar in my hollandaise (which technically just calls for an acid.  Yes 90%+ chefs will use lemon juice).  I just like it better and with the bulk of the sauce being butter and yolk, it's not overpowering.  I also like to top them with paprika and sliced green onions.

1 hour ago, seamus69 said:

bklynboy8 beat me to the punch.  As he mentioned the vinegar help hold the egg white proteins together when free poaching directly in water.  One good thing about free poaching (instead of using a pan over steaming water) is that though you might not get a 'firm' white, you will pretty much ALWAYS get a cooked white (more spread out) whereas in a pan, it's a lot harder to get a cooked white without over cooking the yolk.

When making Eggs Benedict, I actually also use vinegar in my hollandaise (which technically just calls for an acid.  Yes 90%+ chefs will use lemon juice).  I just like it better and with the bulk of the sauce being butter and yolk, it's not overpowering.  I also like to top them with paprika and sliced green onions.

I like to create a Cyclone swirl before dropping in the unbeaten egg and then gather the whites from all sides. Then use a china basket to pick it out the water. Better then a slotted spoon.

I also use white wine vinegar in the water for the acid. Sauvignon Blanc for Bearnise Sauces..

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What bread accompaniments to your Breakfast of Corned Beef Hash with Poached Eggs to you prefer?  

Toasted Rye or Pumpernickel to be buttered. But English Muffin for it to sit on.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Toasted Rye or Pumpernickel to be buttered. But English Muffin for it to sit on.

YES!  We have similar tastes.  

If the ship's bakers produce a delicious, buttery croissant, I'll order that to eat along with my juice and fruit prior to the "main attraction".  

15 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I'd like a toasted thin piece of light rye with any hash or any kind of dippy egg.  I don't always enjoy rye-based rolls as much though.