Indy Sailing March 30: Get ready, Get set, Go.

Hello,

I have never written a blog before, but as an old (mature wise) woman sometimes you just have to try new things.

GET Ready Stage

A little background.  We (DH and myself) are mere Platinum level; this is our 6th cruise.  DH 👨‍🦲works way too much and way too long.  I 👩‍🦰work way too much and way too long. We are preparing for a Caribbean cruise (uh oh, auto correct wants curse not cruise,  hope this does not portend the future) with our son👨‍✈️, his wife 👩and three darling granddaughters (DGD?)👼👼👼 under age of 7.  DS and family invited us to go with them last minute so we called our travel agent and she hooked us up.  We did a multi-generational cruise five years ago with 14 of us in the Royal Family Suite so this trip of 7 will be a walk in the park (er, walk at the beach). DH and I are staying in a regular balcony. DS and family are staying in Extra Spacious Ocean View as open balcony with a toddler didn't appeal to them. 

Get Ready Step 1: Coronavirus plan😷

COVID-19 is concerning but we plan to continue the good hand washing and healthy practices we always employ when traveling. As the family germophobe  my travel methods used will not change much due to coronavirus. I travel about every three weeks and have always taken Clorox wipes, face masks, and sanitizer.  DS is a commercial airplane pilot thus sanitary travel practices are common and natural to him and his family. Bummer for me that my travel supply is currently low. I planned to restock before airplane trip tomorrow (I have two work trips before cruise) but there has been a run on Clorox wipes so I will have to make my own travel supply size by taking Clorox wipes from the large package and putting into a sandwich bag.  (Anyone else remember the olden days before the advent of wipes? We had to wet washcloths and put them in bread sacks.)

I have a set routine when boarding the plane. Clorox wipes are in my jacket pocket (wear layers and oversized scarf) with a plastic grocery bag or similar.  Upon reaching my seat I put computer bag in big plastic bag (think hotel laundry bag) and stow under it the seat. Because I am short it helps to have something to put my feet on. Also, importantly, the floors of airplanes are filthy and I do not want to put my shoes on the bag or the ground and then hold it again (or worse put on the bed when you get to the hotel😬).  I once had the unfortunate experience of a child in the seat in front vomiting and it leaking down his seat and onto my computer bag 😲.  Never again do I want to contemplate how to retrieve my bag and carry all my gear until I can purchase a new bag. 

Next I take the Clorox wipes, start at the top and work down. Fan, and light buttons, widow shade (if next to window),  seat back in front of me (especially entertainment console if there is one), tray table, my seat back, arm rests, seat buckle and straps, charging station, and last seat back pocket.  Take out grocery bag, put it in the seat back pocket as a liner and stuff used wipes down in corner. Now if you need to store something in the pocket you won't come into contact with anything lurking in that breeding bed of bacteria.  Then I buckle seat belt and wipe hands one more time.As I have been doing this routine for years, I get strange looks but it is not uncommon for a seatmate to ask if I have an extra wipe.  Based on this description you get a good idea of what happens when I enter a hotel room!  (Hotel tip: use ice bucket plastic bag to enclose the TV remote. I told you I have routines.) If I eat or drink while flying I take out another wipe for hands. Scarf is mighty handy to use as a blanket if chilly, a mask if someone is coughing or sneezing, or swim towel, picnic cloth, arm sling, signal flag (Yep done all that. I am like the Boy Scout of traveling).

Get Ready Step 2: Flight and hotel plan✈️

As DS is a pilot we fly standby almost all the time. So many times we have an adventure before we even get to the adventure.  To   fly standby you have to have a high tolerance for changing plans abruptly. I can't stand dirt and germs but don't mind unknown flight plans 🤪. I also won't jump off the diving board or swim in water over my head but don't mind scuba diving 50 feet down.  Go figure.  We will leave 1or 2 days earlier depending on flight loads. We have a hotel by the pier for the night before.  If we arrive earlier then we will probably beach it for a day.  DS has made ground transportation plans.  Such a good boy!

Get Ready Step 3: Packing plan 🧳

Because I travel so much for work I have packing down to a science. I can travel up to 10 days in a carryon and personal item (Promise, I have traveled Europe and Hawaii using only carry on and personal item for all work and play clothes and gear). Call me a packing ninja.There are a few extra items though I will pack. Plastic sleeves for cruise luggage tags, magnets for cabin walls, line to dry clothing, extra binder clips (great for so many uses), large sun hat, and lanyard.  The good news is I can remove work things so luggage space is not a problem. 

Get Ready Step 4: Excursion plan🚢

This is the best part ever!  DS and DDIL are planning the shore trips. I just get to attend and enjoy.  Again, best part ever! 

What am I missing in the get ready stage? It has been a while since we cruised so chime in. We  made My Time Dining plans, purchased Vroom and soft drink packages (we don't drink alcohol). Checked in online. Downloaded set sail passes.  My countdown calendar on Royal Caribbean says 27 days to go.  Plenty of time to add what you suggest. image.png.0a9e2af173a56853762322f5b4313787.png

Edited by Weber Prof

Hello!

How you have an amazing cruise! We will be following!!!

We will be on Indy in 49 days for a B2B (4 then 5 nights)…..first cruise (we have a spacious ocean view) on last day we are getting married and have 10 guests coming with us for it.....second cruise (junior suite) is our honeymoon....

Would love to see your cruise compasses when you return!!!

Enjoy!!!

We're on this sailing too. :) (Myself, the boyfriend, and our two daughters.) We're bringing most of what you listed, plus clear waterproof phone/ID/cash bags to wear on us while in the pool or the beach at ports. Also probably going to bring a little sponge and dishwashing liquid to clean out the refillable Coke cups they'll give us with the soft drink plan. See you on the ship!

I will do my best to take compass photos and upload!

On 3/4/2020 at 10:35 AM, thjeepster said:

Hello!

How you have an amazing cruise! We will be following!!!

We will be on Indy in 49 days for a B2B (4 then 5 nights)…..first cruise (we have a spacious ocean view) on last day we are getting married and have 10 guests coming with us for it.....second cruise (junior suite) is our honeymoon....

Would love to see your cruise compasses when you return!!!

Enjoy!!!

On 3/4/2020 at 11:29 AM, Morgan32 said:

clear waterproof phone/ID/cash bags

little sponge and dishwashing liquid to clean out the refillable Coke cups

Great idea!  Thank you so much for suggesting.  See you soon.

Thanks to everyone.  I am just returning from a work trip to Texas (via California) so late in responding.  I really appreciate the ideas and suggestions. 

From my four flights in three states I noticed more people wearing masks than usual, bottles of hand sanitizers in airports, more people wiping down seat surfaces (my normal routine is now abundant), and fewer people in the airports but planes just as full. 

I had rare flight happenings both going and returning this trip.  Bad weather in Texas delayed my departing flight and then the incoming plane was struck by lightening. When returning home the incoming plane was hit by a bird and the engine had to be repaired (so I had to come home via California). 

On 3/4/2020 at 10:35 AM, thjeepster said:

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

3 hours ago, Weber Prof said:

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

Thank you!

but hopefully we can still do it!  Everything rides on if we still can go on the cruise or not!

very stressful times!....hard enough to plan a wedding now we are watching this virus too. 

BOOM, and just like that I will not be cruising March 30.  Friday the 13th is certainly unlucky for me this year. 

My work has moved my job online until April 27 so I am thinking the best place I can practice social distancing is a beach somewhere with a laptop.