Rat guards on the Oosterdam

On the Oosterdam,  currently in Puerto Vallarta..hubby noticed that all of the lines (anchor lines, etc.) Have those metal rat guards on them. We have been on 40-some cruises, never seen them before on a cruise ship. (He recognized from long ago US Navy days).

He spoke to both the concierge and room steward about them.  Concierge pretended not to understand, room steward knew right away what he was asking about...yup rat problems on the "lower " decks of the ship in recent weeks  !

No Corona virus aboard, just rats!

EEEk !

12 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

On the Oosterdam,  currently in Puerto Vallarta..hubby noticed that all of the lines (anchor lines, etc.) Have those metal rat guards on them. We have been on 40-some cruises, never seen them before on a cruise ship. (He recognized from long ago US Navy days).

He spoke to both the concierge and room steward about them.  Concierge pretended not to understand, room steward knew right away what he was asking about...yup rat problems on the "lower " decks of the ship in recent weeks  !

EEEk !

We have seen those guards on the lines quite often.

1 hour ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I'm really surprised this is the first time you've seen them.  It's very common for cruise ships to use rat guards.  

Like the last post, I also like the ones painted like cats.

image.png.8091622adffe2a7a194ba5a687628e34.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Yep, same here.

Ditto,

I'd much prefer they use the guards than not. Hopefully they successfully serve their intended purpose.  I have seen them on the lines time and time again on various ships

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Never saw a HAL ship without those guards. Always thought they were for both rats and mice. I hope you just didnot notice them before or quality of ship and port authorities is a big ?

9 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

EEEk !

Somebody is not paying attention on their cruise.

I have managed 29 ships over the past 40 years; that comes to over 1,400 cruises.

I do not remember EVER calling at a port where we did not have rat guards on the mooring lines.

Most ports require it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Donald said:

I have managed 29 ships over the past 40 years; that comes to over 1,400 cruises.

I do not remember EVER calling at a port where we did not have rat guards on the mooring lines.

Most ports require it.

Most ports require it.

Parked next to the NCL Joy now...in Matzalan 

They dont have anything on the mooring lines.

Sure glad our ship does!

Most ports require it.

• Like 1

Rat guards have been used for hundreds of years, nothing new here. I expect you'll see them on sailing apps in museums. 

https://www.technology.org/2018/08/28/what-are-those-disks-sometimes-seen-on-mooring-lines-of-big-ships/

There are even technical specifications, so they're not just something cobbled up by a ship's owners.

https://www.astm.org/Standards/F1099M.htm

Edited by kwb101
Fix links
  • Like 2

Do you really want to spend your vacation busily checking for rat  guards on your ship and other ships in port with you?  :eeks:

Mexico has some well crafted silver jewelry. If you want to check out  silver colored items on shore, how about a nice bracelet?   🙂

Edited by sail7seas
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Not concerned about the guards...just an interesting observation...

First time on HAL...

Checked again on ship docked next to us (NCL)... no guards in place

(Visable ones, anyway)

😊

So we must be glad to sail HAL 🙂 

19 hours ago, towhee said:

We've been cruising since 1990 and it is NOT unusual to see rat guards on the dock lines.

Ditto on that. Sometimes when we disembark right after clearance they are not in place, but are when we come back in the afternoon. 

The noose is used to keel haul bad passengers and crew. They had been using the traditional plank to take a short walk, but the environmentalists complained on social media that some one killed a tree to get the plank. Due to the relentless efforts of the social media crowd, HAL capitulated. 

They now use hemp rope that is made from recycled legal Canadian cannabis plants.

• Haha 6