MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

7 hours ago, Addict said:

Doesn't it only say into the US from mainland Europe?  They probably don't care where people are going to from the US.

They will  when they return home. The government  could force an on  USA soil   quarantine as they did to the USA citizens on Grand Princess.  ( previously Diamond Princess)300 of them are at Dobbin Airforce Base right now. It is just a crying shame they did not do this when USA citizens flew back from Italy 2- 3 weeks ago when it was known there was an outbreak there. You know allow them back on US soil but then send them to quarantine.  Right now we have it in the state of  Georgia because of 2 Americans  (who lie in Georgia)who came back from a business  meeting  in Milan Italy on February 24th. We now have 31 cases here.

This is their latest update

This is MSC Uk

For the cruises we are forced to cancel we will offer guests a voucher equal to the value of the cancelled cruise, to be used for any future sailing departing before the end of 2021, plus on-board credit of €100 per cabin for cancelled cruises up to 6 nights, and €200 for cruises of 7 nights or longer.

Solely for the cancellation of MSC Bellissima’s Grand Voyage Dubai-Yokohama, and MSC Lirica’s Grand Voyage Dubai- Venice, we will offer on-board credit of € 400 per cabin.

The cruise voucher is valid for sailings all year round and can be combined with any existing promotion. The on-board credit is refundable if unused during the voyage and can also be combined with any existing promotion. 

Edited by niko40

38 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

If they do shut down do you think MSC will give full refunds to passengers with cancelled cruises?  What if you cancelled for a FCC before your cruise was officially cancelled? 

Princess are offering their cancelled passengers the choice of 175% FCC or Full refund plus 50% FCC.

Maybe MSC will offer similar............????

7 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Princess are offering their cancelled passengers the choice of 175% FCC or Full refund plus 50% FCC.

That would be great.  At least it will help from a financial standpoint and be very generous. I just added up my out of pocket costs that will not be covered and it is $736.  I have recovered $538 of refundable charges.  This does not include anything for the cruise itself.

I have insurance but I do not think any of the costs will be covered? 

17 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I have just posted what they are offering look above

13 minutes ago, niko40 said:

I have just posted what they are offering look above

That offer is much different than Princess. Sad really. I'm not sure this will hold legal waters in the USA. If people paid for a cruise that MSC was forced to cancel, I think MSC is going to be forced to return their money on this side of the pond (verses offering FCC). Not sure what consumer laws are in other areas.

And this is why I said I'd rather be on any other line than MSC during Corna.  People were giving me lots of grief.  However; with MSC, when things go well, it's an excellent value. When things go astray, buckle up buttercup.

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That offer is much different than Princess. Sad really. I'm not sure this will hold legal waters in the USA. If people paid for a cruise that MSC was forced to cancel, I think MSC is going to be forced to return their money on this side of the pond (verses offering FCC). Not sure what consumer laws are in other areas.

And this is why I said I'd rather be on any other line than MSC during Corna.  People were giving me lots of grief.  However; with MSC, when things go well, it's an excellent value. When things go astray, buckle up buttercup.

This is what MSC UK  are offering im sure it will be different in the US

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I wouldn't count on it.  They seem to be offering the worst options of all cruise lines. I don't think our cruise on 22 April will be going ahead, and where would they go to anyway with many ports closed.  This could be the end of our relationship with MSC I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, niko40 said:

This is their latest update

This is MSC Uk

For the cruises we are forced to cancel we will offer guests a voucher equal to the value of the cancelled cruise, to be used for any future sailing departing before the end of 2021, plus on-board credit of €100 per cabin for cancelled cruises up to 6 nights, and €200 for cruises of 7 nights or longer

Can you provide a link to this on the UK site Niko?  I can only find your info on the .com site. 

So far I've only been able to find this on MSC UK.  Thanks.

UPDATE 12 MARCH

In light of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak that originated in China, MSC Cruises has undertaken a series of global actions since 24 January to secure the health and well-being of all guests and crew. As the situation continues to evolve, we continue to update our precautionary measures and further enhanced them to protect everyone on board as per below.

For European guests cruising from the USA. Entry in USA is closed to most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.  This restriction comes into effect at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020 and it’s expected to be in place for at least 30 days.

Guests forced to cancel their cruise because of the above will receive a voucher equal to the value of the cancelled cruise, to be used for any future sailing departing before the end of 2021 plus an on board credit of €100 per cabin for cancelled cruises up to 6 nights and €200 for cruises of 7 nights or longer. This credit is refundable, valid for any period of the year and can be combined with any existing promotion.

5 minutes ago, rosebuds said:

Can you provide a link to this on the UK site Niko?  I can only find your info on the .com site. 

UPDATE 12 MARCH

In light of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak that originated in China, MSC Cruises has undertaken a series of global actions since 24 January to secure the health and well-being of all guests and crew. As the situation continues to evolve, we continue to update our precautionary measures and further enhanced them to protect everyone on board as per below.

For European guests cruising from the USA. Entry in USA is closed to most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.  This restriction comes into effect at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020 and it’s expected to be in place for at least 30 days.

Guests forced to cancel their cruise because of the above will receive a voucher equal to the value of the cancelled cruise, to be used for any future sailing departing before the end of 2021 plus an on board credit of €100 per cabin for cancelled cruises up to 6 nights and €200 for cruises of 7 nights or longer. This credit is refundable, valid for any period of the year and can be combined with any existing promotion.

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/news

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, niko40 said:

Thanks Niko, that link led to more links.  I used this one https://www.msccruises.co.uk/news/itinerary-change-covid-19

It looks like info for cruises that MSC cancel, I didn't find any info for UK guests who decide to cancel.  I'll wait for the travel agent or government intervention 🙂.

2 hours ago, jcollin said:

Has anyone heard if MSC is extending pay in full date?  Ours is coming up at the beginning of April for our July cruise.  I thought I read that the final payment day was reduced from 90 days to 60.

This is what I am looking for.

• Like 1

Discussed on a different thread on this board. If the cruise was booked in the UK it's subject to EU legislation and they have to refund - link here 

If our forthcoming TA from Barbados is cancelled - and I begin to suspect it may well be - I will be insisting on a refund under the terms of our booking.

2 hours ago, rosebuds said:

UPDATE 12 MARCH

I can't believe they are not stopping their cruises for 60 days like Princess. The majority of their passengers are European. Are they going to sail their ships in the Caribbean only 30% full??? And these Europeans can't get here because of things totally out of their control. They should dispute the charge with their credit card company.

1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

I can't believe they are not stopping their cruises for 60 days like Princess. The majority of their passengers are European. Are they going to sail their ships in the Caribbean only 30% full??? And these Europeans can't get here because of things totally out of their control. They should dispute the charge with their credit card company.

I cancelled my trip to the Caribbean aboard meriviglia that was supposed to leave sunday, and I keep looking at the available rooms online, and they are still over 90% full.

Just now, rm1759 said:

I cancelled my trip to the Caribbean aboard meriviglia that was supposed to leave sunday, and I keep looking at the available rooms online, and they are still over 90% full.

That's because the Europe travel ban just was announced last night. People are probably having trouble getting through on the phones to cancel.

Just now, WonderMan3 said:

That's because the Europe travel ban just was announced last night. People are probably having trouble getting through on the phones to cancel.

thats possible.  it was a long hold time for me.

13 minutes ago, sidari said:

Just heard that guests who boarded Grandiosa in Barcelona today have been they have to get off by 11pm tonight! 

Waiting for more info.

Bloody hell (excuse the language).  That's awful.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I can see a group action legal case afoot which MSC will lose if they persist in refusing FULL cash refund for any cruise they cancel.

I obviously have NO knowledge of MSC’s financial situation but if everyone demands a full cash refund it could put a great deal of financial strain on the company. If a company goes under, no one gets anything.

AS I SAID, I AM JUST GENERALISING AND AM NOT SPECULATING SPECIFICALLY ON MSC.

Anyone who has enjoyed a cruise in the past with MSC needs to support them. This is not their fault although I admit the level of communication has been poor.This situation has been so fluid and still continues to be.

Does anyone know if a FCC can be used if you book through a TA? Stay safe and hang in there.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I can see a group action legal case afoot which MSC will lose if they persist in refusing FULL cash refund for any cruise they cancel.

yes indeed, people quite rightly will not be satisfied with a future cruise option ( was me that was ranting on other thread!)