MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

23 minutes ago, Ausbrit said:

I obviously have NO knowledge of MSC’s financial situation but if everyone demands a full cash refund it could put a great deal of financial strain on the company. If a company goes under, no one gets anything.

AS I SAID, I AM JUST GENERALISING AND AM NOT SPECULATING SPECIFICALLY ON MSC.

Anyone who has enjoyed a cruise in the past with MSC needs to support them. This is not their fault although I admit the level of communication has been poor.This situation has been so fluid and still continues to be.

Does anyone know if a FCC can be used if you book through a TA? Stay safe and hang in there.

We have been on several MSC cruises.  This would be our 6th.  But they have to be reasonable.  What they are doing is unacceptable and they will drive loyal customers away.  A little sweetener here and there and we could be flexible.  We are willing to bend a bit, but the more they dig their heels in, so will we.

27 minutes ago, Ausbrit said:

I obviously have NO knowledge of MSC’s financial situation but if everyone demands a full cash refund it could put a great deal of financial strain on the company. If a company goes under, no one gets anything.

AS I SAID, I AM JUST GENERALISING AND AM NOT SPECULATING SPECIFICALLY ON MSC.

Anyone who has enjoyed a cruise in the past with MSC needs to support them. This is not their fault although I admit the level of communication has been poor.This situation has been so fluid and still continues to be.

Does anyone know if a FCC can be used if you book through a TA? Stay safe and hang in there.

I cancelled through my TA, and they said the FCC can be used through them or directly with the line.

and agree with your sentiments here as well.  this isnt their fault, and I am grateful that they gave me FCC past the cancellation deadline, otherwise I would get nothing.

communication could be better.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Ausbrit said:

If a company goes under, no one gets anything.

Insolvency protection required for UK CAA.    From MSC UK :-

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/pre-contractual-information

MSC has taken out an appropriate insolvency protection in compliance with the bonding requirements of the Civil Aviation Authority that passengers may contact directly. In case that services are denied because of organizer’s insolvency, the competent authority can be contacted.

Edited by rosebuds
CAA
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

Discussed on a different thread on this board. If the cruise was booked in the UK it's subject to EU legislation and they have to refund - link here 

If our forthcoming TA from Barbados is cancelled - and I begin to suspect it may well be - I will be insisting on a refund under the terms of our booking.

We are also on this cruise, and we will insist on a refund. Friends are currently on the Preziosa and some of the crew they have talked too, dont think the ship will return to Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

I will take FCC with generous OBC over cash refund. I never have a problem finding another cruise to book.

I'm not canceling my cruise, but if MSC does, I will want a cash refund. I have a lot of money invested in my cruise that I want back in my bank account.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mickey89 said:

..........except it will take MSC another week to decide to follow suit.

Selfishly I am hoping for just a tad longer.  I have reservations on 5/20 and I cant imagine being on the first or second wave back.  That said it looks to me like if MSC cancels a cruise you are no better off than if you had just called today and taken the FCC (for US bookings).  I dont see how this is legal.  My contract clearly spells out that if MSC cancels a cruise for whatever reason, no exclusions that I could find, that the customer would receive a full refund.  So am I going to have to sue MSC to get what their contract calls for as a resolution?  Are they just counting on the fact that Americans wont go to Switzerland (or wherever) to do so and we will take what's given?  Does anyone see why MSC thinks this is a valid way for them to resolve this issue?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Talex831 said:

I'm not canceling my cruise, but if MSC does, I will want a cash refund. I have a lot of money invested in my cruise that I want back in my bank account.

Me too.  I want cash back, even if I have to go via Credit Card or Insurance.  But I'm sure MSC are liable according to their T&Cs to refund in the event they cancel.  I know it's not their fault, but it's certainly not mine either.  Surely they have some sort of financial protection for events such as this?  If not, it's still not my problem.  They have obviously got cash to splash around with all the new builds coming out, they should have put a bit in the piggy bank to cover events such as this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aprilF said:

.........Does anyone see why MSC thinks this is a valid way for them to resolve this issue?

I don’t believe MSC would declare ‘Forced Majeure’ as that would be a risk to any reputation they still have and would be madness with so many ships entering services in the next few years especially in the US.  Whilst in the U.K. customer protection would be against them for sure.  I would be confident if MSC cancel your cruise you will get a full refund not a FCC, the business risks are to high for them to do otherwise.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I don’t believe MSC would declare ‘Forced Majeure’ as that would be a risk to any reputation they still have and would be madness with so many ships entering services in the next few years especially in the US.  Whilst in the U.K. customer protection would be against them for sure.  I would be confident if MSC cancel your cruise you will get a full refund not a FCC, the business risks are to high for them to do otherwise.

Why not? What does force majeure have to do with their reputation? It means forces beyond their control, has nothing to do with their reputation. US airlines have used this in the past and other than still being airlines, their reputation hasn't suffered.

BTW: here is Princess's offer for the cruises that Princess canceled. Cruises that customers are choosing to cancel past May 10 receive 100% FCC .

@rattanchair so had you invested your $6,000 plus with Princess, you would receive either $6,000 in FCC PLUS an additional $6750 in FCC. So you'd have $12,750 in FCC right now.  OR you could take the lower value and receive your $6,000 in CASH plus another $6,000 in FCC. But we know, you love your YC :).

image.png.24387507a52c7ea967ab65304435275f.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014

2 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I don’t understand why there are speculations about the financial viability from MSC. It is not a small company and it has business on the shipping industry also. Or has anybody heard or read something that we don’t know?

I think most people are just speculating. Lots of speculation on all the boards right now. NCL stock dropped into single numbers and they already leveraged the Epic. Wouldn't be totally out of line in this scenario for some of the cruise companies to declare BK. Just like Continental, GM, Pier One, Toys R us, etc.... Their stockholders and leverages left holding the boat and they get a clean bill of health. I personally expect some mergers, but not with MSC. They are privately held and not traded. Mind you,  100% speculation.

ANY speculation on my part was clearly stated as speculation and was a suggestion to actually support MSC by not demanding refunds. (Obviously dependant on personal circumstances). As stated, I have no personal knowledge of any matter regarding their financial situation and I am sure they are no different to any business trying to navigate  it’s way through this fluid, horrible situation.

I found the suggestion about them going ‘belly up’ was ill conceived and a little dramatic. 
I am quite confident MSC is in great shape but obviously would prefer to offer FCC’s and OBC rather than refunds.

I cannot speak for others but just wanted to make sure that my comments were absolutely clear.

• Like 2

The restrictions against people 70+ without doctor note and those with medical conditions which was discussed with the U.S. government have now been implemented. Those groups will now be denied boarding. This impacts my group of 3 as my husband is diabetic. We don't travel until May 2nd and these rules seem to only go out around 30 days so doesn't technically apply to my cruise yet.

MSC.JPG

Edited by WonderMan3

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

Because some of us don't know when or if we would be able to reschedule a cruise (I have other trips lined up already through next year), and with the way things are going who knows what might happen to them as a company. I don't want a credit that becomes worthless if the company was to go belly up a few months from now.

Exactly. This is a big concern of mine. I was lucky *sarcasm* enough to buy a brand new house in 2007, right before the U.S. housing crash. My builder went bankrupt 1 month after we closed, we never got the fully sodded lot we paid for, we never got our home warranty, and we were luckier than the people who hadn't closed yet and had houses under construction they had put large deposits down on. They never got those deposits back. Obviously a house is a bigger investment than a vacation, but losing the money you paid for a vacation still hurts. I'm worried about what this will do to many aspects of the travel industry, MSC included, if this doesn't resolve itself fairly quickly. I don't want a FCC and then the company goes belly up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Wow 

If you're under 70 it's on the honor system unless MSC is pulling out pax medications. Diabetes is not un common. 

You could sneak through but would have to lie then when asked at screening during boarding. That may then create a problem for you with travel insurance. Say you get sick with something that is not even corona during the cruise and incur expense or have to interrupt your trip. The insurance company might deny your claim because you weren't supposed to be onboard in the first place due to the diabetes. Or say while onboard the room attendant saw your insulin and reported that. They might remove you from the cruise midway through. Too risky.

Just now, WonderMan3 said:

You could sneak through but would have to lie then when asked at screening during boarding. That may then create a problem for you with travel insurance. Say you get sick with something that is not even corona during the cruise and incur expense or have to interrupt your trip. The insurance company might deny your claim because you weren't supposed to be onboard in the first place due to the diabetes. Or say while onboard the room attendant saw your insulin and reported that. They might remove you from the cruise midway through. Too risky.

Good point I didn't think about the travel insurance aspect. Thankfully I don't have any of the chronic health conditions. 

I don't understand how they can offer on FCC when THEY cancelled.  I understand they have been holding out on cancelling  until the last minute, in my opinion to pressure the passengers to cancel and accept a FCC.  I think it is unfair if passengers are basically unable to make it to the cruise due to various travel bans, including this sudden and ridiculously broad ban from here in the US; but again, I guess they can say, well, not our fault, you cancelled, FCC only.  BUT WHEN THEY CANCEL THEY SHOULD REFUND THE MONEY.  I am beginning to wonder if I will ever be reimbursed for the cruise that I cancelled, more than 90 days before my cruise, which should mean NO penalty.  It has been 12 days, and no refund so far, and they acted like they were doing be a favor in allowing me to cancel and be reimbursed, when I was just doing what the contract provided for.