MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

2 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

You think it will be that easy. Just cancel your cruise or postpone it but no! people will not look for easy way  they want to open 1001 top on boards because they have nothing to do at home. 

Yes, these would be the same types who urge everyone to call MSC right away and then come back 5 minutes later to complain about the hold times. 🙄

32 minutes ago, juraspark said:

So...you cruised and had a regrettable experience and yet you as yet haven't cancelled your upcoming (a full year from now) cruise for which I'm sure you are entitled to your full refund and you are waiting for an appropriate time? 

Wrong, in the uk deposits are non-refundable.

First entry on this thread. 15.2 does not say at whose choice so we will have to wait and see. UK office says emails being sent out in cruise chronological order. Have not received mine but April 3rd Dubai on cancelled list. Insurers will not pay out as MSCs responsibility tby to compensate px

1 hour ago, mickey89 said:

Wrong, in the uk deposits are non-refundable.

Correct.  Sadly the big issue with posting on CC is that the posters are mainly either American or British.  And both have different rules, laws, terms and conditions.  You can argue all day long but each may be right, in their own country.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Roger88 said:

The best thing you can do in this situation is just request a full refund and wait until the situation will settle down. Why risk it when you can get a full refund NOW?

our sailing is ~20 days away and MSC is not offering REFUNDS, but FCC only.

Got a reply from the TA, refund is not an option of our MSC Grandiosa 2nd May cruise.

We are now cancelling all travel plan as many countries are closing their borders, 4 weeks left for us before our trip, too risky to just wait and see.

Must be a huge number of people cancelling their trip,  I can't get through to Qatar and Air France.  

2 minutes ago, antiq said:

Got a reply from the TA, refund is not an option of our MSC Grandiosa 2nd May cruise.

We are now cancelling all travel plan as many countries are closing their borders, 4 weeks left for us before our trip, too risky to just wait and see.

Must be a huge number of people cancelling their trip,  I can't get through to Qatar and Air France.  

Well, you would be able to get a partial refund based on whatever the penalties are currently for your cabin category as you are still outside 30 days. Or you could get 100% in travel credit.

5 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Well, you would be able to get a partial refund based on whatever the penalties are currently for your cabin category as you are still outside 30 days. Or you could get 100% in travel credit.

It would be helpful if U.S. based cruisers would stop giving advice based on what their T&Cs are. MSC are NOT giving ANY refunds to British based cruisers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Addict said:

It would be helpful if U.S. based cruisers would stop giving advice based on what their T&Cs are. MSC are NOT giving ANY refunds to British based cruisers.

Hello,

Many (very many) years ago on the RCI thread I posed the suggestion that CC be divided into two (or three) separate sections: One for US residents (*); One for UK residents (*); and possibly one for postings that genuinely applied to both.

(*) or any nationality posting under those country's T&Cs.

No-one responded.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Many (very many) years ago on the RCI thread I posed the suggestion that CC be divided into two (or three) separate sections: One for US residents (*); One for UK residents (*); and possibly one for postings that genuinely applied to both.

(*) or any nationality posting under those country's T&Cs.

No-one responded.

Regards,

Cublet

I agree that would be useful. Getting fed up with people giving advice that is totally not relevant to the specific poster. The world doesn't revolve around the .U.S. There are other countries out there in the big wide world. And before anyone suggests that Cruise Critic is a U.S. site, I'm currently on boards.cruisecritic.co.uk. Rant over.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WH_Cruise said:

Being in the UK i am happy to take the FCC for my cruise coming up in May, as i do actually want to go on a cruise (first time), i dont want a refund.

I would rather have the cruise too. Ours is due on 22 April but it's more and more likely that it wont happen.

Also, I've been doing a bit more research this morning, and for those that are relying on recompense using Section 75 for Credit Card refunds, you may be out of luck if you booked through a travel agent as apparently it does not cover third party bookings. I got this from Money Saving Expert website, but I'd suggest doing your own research.

3 hours ago, Addict said:

msccruises.co.uk Terms & Conditions 15.2 says very clearly - If MSC cancel your cruise YOU have the option of a FULL refund.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mickey89 said:

msccruises.co.uk Terms & Conditions 15.2 says very clearly - If MSC cancel your cruise YOU have the option of a FULL refund.  

Correct, i cannot figure out   why there is confusion, its there black  n  white.  

Smh, I've thought that as well. This back and forth has been going on for days. Honestly I shook my head at times. Info posted wasnt always accurate but people were going on and on about facts they had to present or quoting sources, many times with old information that had changed because with a fluid situation info is changing. Sometimes getting into a tizzy. People need to make their own decisions based on their own specific situations. Not all sources are reliable, accurate, or in real time. Anybody can type up something and post it somewhere online or in print or rant out something on tv. This back and forth has created distress for people, some unnecessary when it's not accurate or when people get huffy. I don't post this to get in an argument with anyone because I won't do that online. CC is indeed a helpful source. But, it just needs to be used wisely. Sadly the past few days, it's been off the rails at times.

Good luck to everyone who is working on adjustments to sailings that are coming up soon. This situation certainly requires patience. It is very fluid and has many moving parts. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Are you optimistic that you will get it?  Everything they are putting out says no refunds. I'm sure they have found out a way to dodge this, or simply trying to deflect passengers to accepting a FCC. I am holding out for cash back, even via insurance, but I think we are going to have to work very hard for it. Regardless of that, my original point was that U.S. terms do not apply to U.K. bookings.

28 minutes ago, Seanocelt said:

Correct, i cannot figure out   why there is confusion, its there black  n  white.  

I  am sorry but given the current circumstances you are too trusting. Read it again as it says the Passengers will be given a choice. It DOESN'T say the Passengers will make that choice. I have received nothing to confirm the actual offer to me but have been told one will be forthcoming in a 'few days'.

Naturally we all, desperately in my case, hoping a full refund will be offered but suggest we wait for that before spending any hypothetical refund.

A full FCC may well be useless if the elderly and infirm restrictions remain long term

My insecurity is based on two reputable travel insurers refusing to pay up even though I paid for additional age and medical history cover

I have cancelled a P and O cruise this morning and am taking the 50% cash refund currently offered plus FCCs on a 'bird in the hand' basis and getting my cancellation in before they possibly make one themselves, leaving me in the same situation as with MSC

Incidentally, personally, I am not in favour of separating the thread between USA and UK contributors. There are invaluable snippets available from both markets. It should be sufficient to frequently remind posters that different T and Cs 

are relevant in different markets. 

Keep safe

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Addict said:

Are you optimistic that you will get it?  Everything they are putting out says no refunds. I'm sure they have found out a way to dodge this, or simply trying to deflect passengers to accepting a FCC. I am holding out for cash back, even via insurance, but I think we are going to have to work very hard for it. Regardless of that, my original point was that U.S. terms do not apply to U.K. bookings.

N...wide and Age BOTH tell me that since the carrier is the one that has broken the contract to supply my any claim must be against the carriers. Both insurers have refused to pay out. Ongoing but certainly don't rely on travel insurance unless you have a cast iron case 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

I  am sorry but given the current circumstances you are too trusting. Read it again as it says the Passengers will be given a choice. It DOESN'T say the Passengers will make that choice. I have received nothing to confirm the actual offer to me but have been told one will be forthcoming in a 'few days'.

Naturally we all, desperately in my case, hoping a full refund will be offered but suggest we wait for that before spending any hypothetical refund.

A full FCC may well be useless if the elderly and infirm restrictions remain long term

My insecurity is based on two reputable travel insurers refusing to pay up even though I paid for additional age and medical history cover

I have cancelled a P and O cruise this morning and am taking the 50% cash refund currently offered plus FCCs on a 'bird in the hand' basis and getting my cancellation in before they possibly make one themselves, leaving me in the same situation as with MSC

Incidentally, personally, I am not in favour of separating the thread between USA and UK contributors. There are invaluable snippets available from both markets. It should be sufficient to frequently remind posters that different T and Cs 

are relevant in different markets. 

Keep safe

Good points, well made, thanks.

1 hour ago, Addict said:

I would rather have the cruise too. Ours is due on 22 April but it's more and more likely that it wont happen.

Sadly i dont think you will be, mine is in May and we have already assumed its not going to happen.

By April/May the UK will be absolute carnage.

5 hours ago, Addict said:

It would also be helpful if UK based cruisers would stop expecting that everyone is psychic and knows where a poster is based. You can’t see that info next to a poster’s name when using CC via phone as I have. You act like it’s a personal attack. Please stop.

7 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

It would also be helpful if UK based cruisers would stop expecting that everyone is psychic and knows where a poster is based. You can’t see that info next to a poster’s name when using CC via phone as I have. You act like it’s a personal attack. Please stop.

OK, apologies.  I'm not psychic either and was not aware that that info doesn't show on phones.  it was not meant as a personal attack on you or anyone else.  There is just so much conflicting information going around at the moment, we all need crystal balls.

24 minutes ago, Addict said:

OK, apologies.  I'm not psychic either and was not aware that that info doesn't show on phones.  it was not meant as a personal attack on you or anyone else.  There is just so much conflicting information going around at the moment, we all need crystal balls.

Don't need or want them thanks, have enough trouble in that region already