MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

3 hours ago, Mrs Soap said:

I think the big things I have learned are

1. Pay the extra to book refundable accommodation 

3. Keep non refundable expenses to a minimum 

3. Use 1 credit card for 1 trip

4.expect the unexpected!

I've learned to book air through the cruise lines. I'm not sure if my Travel insurance will cover my plane tickets if X cancels my cruise. 

46 minutes ago, Ausbrit said:

Because it worked so well with the Diamond Princess?😱😱😱

?

I think it will be set up properly not just a quarantined ship.

Anyway its better than patience sleeping in medical tents which is what they are currently proposing.

Edited by niko40

On 3/13/2020 at 1:40 PM, Addict said:

Correct.  Sadly the big issue with posting on CC is that the posters are mainly either American or British.  And both have different rules, laws, terms and conditions.  You can argue all day long but each may be right, in their own country.

Perhaps the information they are giving is helpful to other people reading the posts, while it may not apply to the specific poster. Not everyone is trying to stir the pot, I'm sure most are trying to be helpful.

I seem to not be able to tell where a poster is from unless it states below their name.

As in just London, do they mean London, England? My first thought is London, Ontario, and no not Ontario, California.

Get it? There are also a lot of other posters that do not state where they are from.

I'm Canadian and have tried to look at the rules for the USA, CA, Europe, UK. Honestly, the UK site wasn't easy to find for me as it doesn't use.com it uses .co which for us north americans unusual.

On 3/14/2020 at 3:25 AM, Addict said:

It would be helpful if U.S. based cruisers would stop giving advice based on what their T&Cs are. MSC are NOT giving ANY refunds to British based cruisers.

I for one appreciate hearing what terms and conditions are for everyone. They are clearly not even. Most are based on the country of residency's policies and the only way to know what they are is to be educated on them.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:17 AM, Addict said:

I agree that would be useful. Getting fed up with people giving advice that is totally not relevant to the specific poster. The world doesn't revolve around the .U.S. There are other countries out there in the big wide world. And before anyone suggests that Cruise Critic is a U.S. site, I'm currently on boards.cruisecritic.co.uk. Rant over.

I'm on https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2739183-msc-refund-policy-coronavirus/page/20/?tab=comments&source=122648#comment-59655218--Copied from my browser!

It doesn't tell you I'm in Canada and when I'm reading, it doesn't tell me if your in UK, USA, Switzerland, Finland, Dubai or Iran.

I've read all 20pgs so far and will read the rest.

To me at least half of the posts belong on facebook as they are quite a few whines and threats from people who haven' t bothered to read for themselves the updates from MSC pertaining to their country and their trip.

If you really want an answer to your specific issue call up the MSC related to you and start the conversation with "I know this conversation is being recorded" because it is. Then write down the persons name, date and approx time spoken to and the gist of the conversation.

Yep! YOU will have to do your own homework, not sit back and let someone else do it for you.

Also, if you are not calling the Assurance department phone number listed on the bulletin, you most likely will get someone who can only quote the standard cancellation policy at you.

And I still don't understand why someone wouldn't write off a $100 deposit rather than spend another several thousand on a cruise they don't want to go on? I'm not well off and a $100 is good money to me but I was raised not to throw good money after bad! Our vacation money for this year is tied up in our May cruise vacation and if it doesn't happen we are moving our cruise to next year and staying home and sipping wine relaxing while we watch our neighbours walk their dogs for fun and excitment.

Hopefully everyone gets what they want and stays safe!

Good Luck

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 12:27 PM, mickey89 said:

Wrong, in the uk deposits are non-refundable.

In Canada and the USA deposits are non refundable, but I wouldn't spend a lot more money to go on a trip that I didn't want or have to. I'd chalk it up to life lessons and then I'd find out if I could transfer it to someone else and either gift it or sell it and maybe get something out of it

But then I wouldn't have booked a 2nd vaca with a company that was such a disappointment to me. Memories (Blue Diamond) are you listening??? I've taken our vaca money elsewhere!

52 minutes ago, juraspark said:

And I still don't understand why someone wouldn't write off a $100 deposit rather than spend another several thousand on a cruise they don't want to go on? I'm not well off and a $100 is good money to me but I was raised not to throw good money after bad! Our vacation money for this year is tied up in our May cruise vacation and if it doesn't happen we are moving our cruise to next year and staying home and sipping wine relaxing while we watch our neighbours walk their dogs for fun and excitment.

Hopefully everyone gets what they want and stays safe!

Good Luck

OK, I take your all your points.  However, we haven't just paid $100 deposit.  We have paid full amount of £2400 (british pounds) and, as our cruise is due to leave in 4 weeks and we still don't know whether it will sail or not, you can understand our concern.  People are quoting 15.2 of the British T&Cs but we are yet to hear of anyone that has actually been promised a refund.  It seems they are only being offered FCC, which we don't want as there is no similar cruise to replace this one-off itinerary.  We're not well off either and can't afford to throw that money away.  Thanks for your input.

14 hours ago, antiq said:

I booked through a US TA, cancellation policy is different than Aus.  My cruise is 2nd May, I have the form sent by TA for FCC and US$ 100 cancellation fee which can be reimbursed if we book with them again.  I am waiting for another week hopeful if MSC cancel we can have a refund. If we cancel now until 18th Mar we will lose 50%

I just checked the latest on the US site and cruises out of Miami they had to cancel they are offering 125% FCC & cruises out of Miami from May1-July 31 they are offering FCC both good till the end of 2021. I will lose on the exchange rate if they credit back my payment to credit card, which would be considerably less than a cancellation fee.

If you read the FAQ's it is not retroactive only for current. It also states:

WHAT IF I DO NOT CHOOSE CRUISE ASSURANCE?

Standard cancellation penalties will apply if you do not wish to participate in the Cruise Assurance program. Please note you must call our contact center in order to accept Cruise Assurance.

So the choices is to take 100% FCC or take a loss and no future booking.

For Cruises from Miami March 14-April 30 this is from the website just now:

125% Future Cruise Credit—BEST CHOICE 
Receive a Future Cruise Credit for 125% of the original cruise fare paid (excl. Government taxes & fees and prepaid items, which will be refunded to the original form of payment).
The Future Cruise Credit can be used on any sailing departing on or before December 31, 2021. 

OR Request a Refund
We hope you choose to reschedule your cruise for a future date. However, we understand this may not be the ideal option for you. If you choose not to take the Future Cruise Credit, we will provide a refund equal to the original amount paid.

To Be Clear this is from www.msccruisesusa.com The USA site NOT UK, NOT EUROPE, NOT CANADA.

My take is that if you refund for cash you lose money if you re-schedule your even or ahead.

I'm waiting to hopefully get on the boat at the end of May which is still our 1st choice or a bigger credit to use down the road 

3 minutes ago, Addict said:

OK, I take your all your points.  However, we haven't just paid $100 deposit.  We have paid full amount of £2400 (british pounds) and, as our cruise is due to leave in 4 weeks and we still don't know whether it will sail or not, you can understand our concern.  People are quoting 15.2 of the British T&Cs but we are yet to hear of anyone that has actually been promised a refund.  It seems they are only being offered FCC, which we don't want as there is no similar cruise to replace this one-off itinerary.  We're not well off either and can't afford to throw that money away.  Thanks for your input.

Spot on and MSC cancelled our Lirica cruise April 4th leaving the paid in full £4,500 in limbo. Other media 'experts' have said that because MSC cancelled all the money has to be refunded on request. I am waiting to see what I hear this week and will only leave the money as an FCC if nothing else crops up. There is a crumb of comfort in that MSC is a huge shipping company, cruise and commercial, that might allow it to pay out rather than go under. Fingers definitely crossed.

From MSC UK customer 

6 minutes ago, juraspark said:

I just checked the latest on the US site and cruises out of Miami they had to cancel they are offering 125% FCC & cruises out of Miami from May1-July 31 they are offering FCC both good till the end of 2021. I will lose on the exchange rate if they credit back my payment to credit card, which would be considerably less than a cancellation fee.

If you read the FAQ's it is not retroactive only for current. It also states:

WHAT IF I DO NOT CHOOSE CRUISE ASSURANCE?

Standard cancellation penalties will apply if you do not wish to participate in the Cruise Assurance program. Please note you must call our contact center in order to accept Cruise Assurance.

So the choices is to take 100% FCC or take a loss and no future booking.

For Cruises from Miami March 14-April 30 this is from the website just now:

125% Future Cruise Credit—BEST CHOICE 
Receive a Future Cruise Credit for 125% of the original cruise fare paid (excl. Government taxes & fees and prepaid items, which will be refunded to the original form of payment).
The Future Cruise Credit can be used on any sailing departing on or before December 31, 2021. 

OR Request a Refund
We hope you choose to reschedule your cruise for a future date. However, we understand this may not be the ideal option for you. If you choose not to take the Future Cruise Credit, we will provide a refund equal to the original amount paid.

To Be Clear this is from www.msccruisesusa.com The USA site NOT UK, NOT EUROPE, NOT CANADA.

My take is that if you refund for cash you lose money if you re-schedule your even or ahead.

I'm waiting to hopefully get on the boat at the end of May which is still our 1st choice or a bigger credit to use down the road 

Although we are from the UK the chink in MSC armour in USA is encouraging. Refunding UKs 100% cruises paid in full probably a different kettle of fish. Patience can be a virtue but maybe a disadvantage. 

12 minutes ago, Addict said:

Addict ... I will be speaking to our travel agent for the 22nd cruise tomorrow to see if they have any details yet and see if they will refund our payment but with mention of disputing the cost with my credit card company seeing as we paid in full due to booking just a few weeks ago.

13 minutes ago, Addict said:

Sorry, the deposit remark was supposed to be directed at mickey not willing to write off his deposit for a cruise a year from now rather than paying for the full cruise that he clearly doesn't want to go on!

My payments are us dollars which at the moment are 38% higher than Canadian and I have paid in full and should I cancel we will lose the deposit and what cancellation fees as well as when the cc company exchanges the us back to Canadian as it's never the same amount it's always 5-10% less.

MSC is not offering a refund only FCC. Refunds are subject cancellation fees and guides here as well as there. I believe there are no better offers on either side of the pond. The Canadian site seems to be the same.

Being a decrepit 73, with underlying issues and now likely to be 'grounded' like all such UK septuagenarians, paid by credit card,  travel insured and booked with MSC direct I feel everything is covered but why don't I feel secure. Is it decades of mistrust and legal skulduggery that decreases my optimism in justice being done.

The UK advertising mantra is 'get the strength of the insurance company behind you'. Yeah right!😁

26 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

Spot on and MSC cancelled our Lirica cruise April 4th leaving the paid in full £4,500 in limbo. Other media 'experts' have said that because MSC cancelled all the money has to be refunded on request. I am waiting to see what I hear this week and will only leave the money as an FCC if nothing else crops up. There is a crumb of comfort in that MSC is a huge shipping company, cruise and commercial, that might allow it to pay out rather than go under. Fingers definitely crossed.

From MSC UK customer 

All well and good UNLESS you take a FCC and the company goes under.  In which case you will get nothing.  Seems a bit doom and gloom but you have to consider every possibility at the moment.

1 minute ago, Addict said:

All well and good UNLESS you take a FCC and the company goes under.  In which case you will get nothing.  Seems a bit doom and gloom but you have to consider every possibility at the moment.

I think we're considering every option but we don't know what they're going to be yet. Will only jump when appropriate. Will be interesting to see the first set of options made to a UK px on this thread

19 minutes ago, sidari said:

Addict ... I will be speaking to our travel agent for the 22nd cruise tomorrow to see if they have any details yet and see if they will refund our payment but with mention of disputing the cost with my credit card company seeing as we paid in full due to booking just a few weeks ago.

Thank you.  Will be interesting to see if they have made up their minds what will happen with the cruise, let alone refunds.  Personally I won't broach the subject of cancelling yet, just in case they take it that we wish to cancel.  I'm holding out til the cruise actually goes ahead, or they cancel.  Re Section 75 via Credit Card, I can't remember if I posted it here on FB, but it will not cover you if you booked via a TA (ie a third party), only if you booked direct with MSC.  Check out Martin Lewis's website. Money Saving Expert.  There is a whole section on Travel and Coronavirus.

3 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

I think we're considering every option but we don't know what they're going to be yet. Will only jump when appropriate. Will be interesting to see the first set of options made to a UK px on this thread

Ha ha.  It's a question of nerve isn't it.  Who will jump first! 🙂  We don't have flights involved, hubby has already booked time off work, but they will be flexible to allow him to reschedule if need be.  We just have a 5 hour drive to Southampton.  Hotel and parking in Southampton booked too, although they have also said we can reschedule that right up to day of arrival.  So we're good to go, or not.  It's in their hands.  Two choices, cruise or money back. 🙂

11 minutes ago, Addict said:

Ha ha.  It's a question of nerve isn't it.  Who will jump first! 🙂  We don't have flights involved, hubby has already booked time off work, but they will be flexible to allow him to reschedule if need be.  We just have a 5 hour drive to Southampton.  Hotel and parking in Southampton booked too, although they have also said we can reschedule that right up to day of arrival.  So we're good to go, or not.  It's in their hands.  Two choices, cruise or money back. 🙂

Our Emirates flights to Dubai were included in our MSC package. When I spoke to Emirates last week they said MSC would REFUND the cost of the flights. Even if that were so we're still awaiting an actual MSC offer which is currently only the 100% FCC. 

Edited by Intergalactic Cruiser
typo

7 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

Our Emirates flights to Dubai were included in our MSC package. When I spoke to Emirates last week they said MSC would refund the cost of the flights. Even if that were so we're still awaiting an actual MSC offer which is currently only the 100% FCC. 

What date is your cruise?

4 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

Isn't! Was April 4th!

So you've officially been advised it's been cancelled?  Do you know when you were advised?  Trying to figure out how far in advance they might let us know.

17 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

Although we are from the UK the chink in MSC armour in USA is encouraging. Refunding UKs 100% cruises paid in full probably a different kettle of fish. Patience can be a virtue but maybe a disadvantage. 

Sorry not seeing 'the chink' in this. They are not offering 100% refunds except as FCC. Actual money is subject to regular terms and conditions

After looking at MSC USA, Canada, UK and the what they are reading, they are pretty much the same.

I am not reading their T&C's at this point, which on 1st look similar.I am reading their front page on all sites Cruise Cancellations & Itinerary Updates Due to Corona Virus.

Everyone here needs to check which section applies to their own cruise as my Miami Departure cruise is NOT the same as an Emirates, Antilles, Mediterranean  cruise. Each cruise type has it's own provisions and I've notice the usa site has removed the phone numbers for calling

You might be able to use T&C's against them if you are going for Cash Back after THEY cancel your cruise.

If you initiate the cancellation you are subject to the T&C's.

Here in Canada the credit card's all have there own policy and fees they charge to do a refund and they are not cheap and it would not be viable without a substantial loss and some trip insur. companies are not covering Covid19, regardless of when purchased.

Food for thought if your cruise is cancelled, has your flight been cancelled? Inter country probably not but could be. Out of country? If your cruise may be cancelled most likely your plane will be also and then you would get your money back or whatever an airline does so it might work out. Hotels, probably only if you booked a cancellable room!