MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

Hi guys,

Just trying to get my head around this cancellation and FCC, do you use the form provided on the MSC website or through your TA? 

If going through TA I will have to pay $100 cancellation fee per reservation (I had 2 cabins booked).  I know if we rebook through the TA again next year, they can apply the cancellation fee on the next booking, but I am not sure if I will go to through the same TA again.

12 minutes ago, antiq said:

Hi guys,

Just trying to get my head around this cancellation and FCC, do you use the form provided on the MSC website or through your TA? 

If going through TA I will have to pay $100 cancellation fee per reservation (I had 2 cabins booked).  I know if we rebook through the TA again next year, they can apply the cancellation fee on the next booking, but I am not sure if I will go to through the same TA again.

It really depends where you are from as USA and UK have different policies. I suggest you talk to your TA in the first instance

Liz

3 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

It really depends where you are from as USA and UK have different policies. I suggest you talk to your TA in the first instance

Liz

Yes I had contacted my TA.  I purchased the cruise from a US TA however I am living in Australia.  I realised that you can fill the cruise assurance form on MSC webiste directly.  Just checking if most people go through MSC directly or TA for the FCC?

18 minutes ago, antiq said:

Yes I had contacted my TA.  I purchased the cruise from a US TA however I am living in Australia.  I realised that you can fill the cruise assurance form on MSC webiste directly.  Just checking if most people go through MSC directly or TA for the FCC?

I am in Australia too and booked through a US site.  Having so many problems communicating with them or MSC. Can you give me the initials of your TA, I’m curious if it’s the same company?  Do you have a link to the MSC refund form as I haven’t been able to find it.

Are you going to take the FCC and the $400 OBC?

2 hours ago, sidari said:

Who is Andrew Green ? I have no idea what you are babbling on about.

Andrew Green is the person whom's letter you posted. It clearly shows his full name.

In Canada it's frowned upon to post someone's private mail and full name without their knowledge. I foolishly assumed you knew this person as you posted his personal letter. My bad.

14 minutes ago, Ausbrit said:

I am in Australia too and booked through a US site.  Having so many problems communicating with them or MSC. Can you give me the initials of your TA, I’m curious if it’s the same company?  Do you have a link to the MSC refund form as I haven’t been able to find it.

Hi Ausbrit,  

I found this cruise assurance form on MSC USA website.   

https://msccruisesgetforms.com/mscforms/MSC-CRUISE-ASSURANCE-DIRECT.aspx?c=USA

I had no problem contacting our TA, they responded quite promptly and contacted MSC on my behalf whereas MSC Australia was not helpful at all, they wouldn't want to know about it.  I am just unsure if I will go through US TA again in the future.  This is the first time I used this company (ADC).   I am hoping if MSC cancel our 2nd May cruise I have more luck of getting a refund rather than FCC, as I am unsure if we will travel to Europe again before end of 2021.  

10 minutes ago, Ausbrit said:

www.msccruisesusa.com on the main page click whichever applies to your US booking cancelled/ on schedule/ or select cancellations and updates and it will take you to a page with a link to the form  it is a big orange barr. But read the FAQ's below it so you know what to expect. To be clear this is on the moving banner at the top of the main page where it is the first of the moving headliners. If it moves before you figure out what to click either wait for it to come back or use the arrows to fast forward back to it. 

If you would like to know specifically and don't want to wait on hold scroll to the bottom of the page and look for contact us. Input all of your information including Booking # and ask your specific questions. They will get back to you. It most likely will take about a week as they are a little busy.

3 hours ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

I'm guessing that you're under 70 which puts you firmly in a different bracket to me. There are at least two problems with the FCC for me. Since I am now unable to travel owing to being 73 and with cardiovascular issues unless that relaxes at some time in the future and before 31st December 2021, and there are no guarantees, then I'm not in a position to claim the FCC taking a hit of £4,500. Since MSC cancelled the cruise despite me having travel insurance then I have no cover. My reputable UK insurers say my contract is with the carrier and I have to pursue any claim with them under the terms of my MSC contract. Therein lies the problem for so many.

It seems you are young enough, I am assuming here, that you can dust yourself off and move on with future cruises. That is not my case

I have another cruise booked with P and O at the end of May and they have offered a combination of FCCs and cash refund if I cancel now. With the possibility that they cancel the cruise to ensure I get that part cash offer I have to cancel before THEY do.

This where the second risk comes in as, with this problem of giant proportion, there a chance of company failure or re-organisation that could leave us all high and dry. 

Your consideration for the employees and the company is laudable but given life experiences I have to look after my wife and myself when we have no opportunity to refill our savings pot. I've been made redundant when my industry was decimated in the 70's and was young enough to recover financially and physically.

Long winded response to your offhand approach to this situation and the worries of many. 

I don't know about anyone else but I'm finding no legal help as to whether MSC are justified and legally correct in denying a refund. Nor am I certain as to the implications of Force Majeure.  

I am holding fire until I receive the letter I have been promised this week. I am not holding any optimism that their offer will change for the better and if it doesn't then I'll explore the credit card route as my last resort. 

When I receive my mail I'll publish it but don't hold your breath as they've made promises before. Don't get me wrong I don't consider MSC UK as being a disreputable company and have enjoyed a few cruise with them but these are different times

We should not have to play roulette.

The health restrictions are being placed by all cruise lines. As it stands nope, you will never cruise again. Probably at least 75% of all cruisers will never cruise again, if not more. The health restrictions are a temporary thing or there will be a lot less boats in the water.

No I'm not 70. Yes I'm retired. Yes I have multiple underlying health conditions. As does my husband.

I'm sad you believe you won't live to cruise in 2021. I'm happy P&O gave you some of your money back and FCC, which you won't be able to use.

I'm sad you have construed my attitude as offhanded. It's not. I just can't feel for anyone who can't be bothered to get the truth from the source instead of railing about something they haven't taken time or made an effort to obtain. You are talking about taking legal action against a company who at this point has not cancelled your cruise. A company that has offered to allow you to move it to another date of your choice. A company that has not as yet cancelled your cruise. A company you are going to take legal action against as your first step rather than ask them as you are clearly not going to be allowed on a ship again, being at deaths door and all, could they please refund your money as per their T&C's. You are crying foul before the game even starts. By the way P&O doesn't say they will not or they will give a full refund should they have to cancel your cruise.

As to having a working income, my husband was just sent home from his job for 14 days. So I have my worries too.

I will say it again. Who here has had a cancelled cruise and asked for the full refund instead of FCC? I haven't seen it. Please tell me where I missed that part.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, juraspark said:

The health restrictions are being placed by all cruise lines. As it stands nope, you will never cruise again. Probably at least 75% of all cruisers will never cruise again, if not more. The health restrictions are a temporary thing or there will be a lot less boats in the water.

No I'm not 70. Yes I'm retired. Yes I have multiple underlying health conditions. As does my husband.

I'm sad you believe you won't live to cruise in 2021. I'm happy P&O gave you some of your money back and FCC, which you won't be able to use.

I'm sad you have construed my attitude as offhanded. It's not. I just can't feel for anyone who can't be bothered to get the truth from the source instead of railing about something they haven't taken time or made an effort to obtain. You are talking about taking legal action against a company who at this point has not cancelled your cruise. A company that has offered to allow you to move it to another date of your choice. A company that has not as yet cancelled your cruise. A company you are going to take legal action against as your first step rather than ask them as you are clearly not going to be allowed on a ship again, being at deaths door and all, could they please refund your money as per their T&C's. You are crying foul before the game even starts. By the way P&O doesn't say they will not or they will give a full refund should they have to cancel your cruise.

As to having a working income, my husband was just sent home from his job for 14 days. So I have my worries too.

I will say it again. Who here has had a cancelled cruise and asked for the full refund instead of FCC? I haven't seen it. Please tell me where I missed that part.

I can't believe your arrogance and your assumption that I have spent the last week not examining acres of virtual print online from cruise lines, insurers, bulletin boards and help lines plus hours and hours of TV coverage. I did not say I was starting legal action. I am not in the USA and we don't tend to shoot from the hip engaging vulture lawyers - no disrespect haha. I was attempting to determine the situation should that day come. 

I am sympathetic to your personal situation but resent your attitude and will put it down to your problem not mine. Please do not include me in further contributions

2 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Liz

I don't know where you in the West of England , maybe not far from me in Taunton, but thought you might be interested in that my GP's medical practice has told me they have been advised not to write letters for patients to present to travel insurers confirming their being unfit to travel. That may be as they don't want to get involved in the blame game. However the TA's insist on such letters to support claims. I am looking into whether provision of medical and hospital admission and discharge notes will suffice.  Perhaps this is a regional decision by the NHS

11 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

I don't know where you in the West of England , maybe not far from me in Taunton, but thought you might be interested in that my GP's medical practice has told me they have been advised not to write letters for patients to present to travel insurers confirming their being unfit to travel. That may be as they don't want to get involved in the blame game. However the TA's insist on such letters to support claims. I am looking into whether provision of medical and hospital admission and discharge notes will suffice.  Perhaps this is a regional decision by the NHS

Hello,

I may know more on 25th March. I am having routine blood tests taken on 23rd and tried to book an appointment with my GP to follow-up on the results. However the surgery's receptionist told me they were not making any face-to-face appointments and I could only have a telephone consultation.

Regards,

Cublet

11 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I may know more on 25th March. I am having routine blood tests taken on 23rd and tried to book an appointment with my GP to follow-up on the results. However the surgery's receptionist told me they were not making any face-to-face appointments and I could only have a telephone consultation.

Regards,

Cublet

Hope you're successful! I spoke to my GP via telephone ringback ten days ago even before the MSC cancellation. He told me it was too early as there might be more developments before my expected cruise departure on the 4th April Dubai. Well there were weren't there... Potentially losing me £4,800 by not allowing me to claim through my travel insurers. Still waiting for the conclusion to my enquiries.

Incidentally sadly and alarmingly we have lost a young man of 59 to coronavirus in Nailsea - the first in the region 

4 hours ago, antiq said:

Hi guys,

I can't believe that TA's are not waiving this fee given the current situation. maybe wait it out to see if the cruise line cancels your cruise, I don't think they can charge a fee in that case, can they?

A good 'game' plan may be to just "kick the can down the road", and see what happens. The monies we already put down on the table are in 'play' and the ball has not landed on the roulette wheel. For some it has already landed and not in our favor, but the croupier is giving us a second chance. Insurance companies might be forced to comply with 'new rules' that may 'come down the pike' for those who purchased before a certain date. Anything is possible. I notice this administration likes to "talk softly, but carries a big stick" which it just used on the cruise industry. Much more is yet to come as attention is drawn to our plights.

For the avoidance of doubt, the current terms for UK customers is that you can cancel up to 48 hours before a booked cruise and rebook a new cruise before December 31 2021, this only applies to fully paid up cruises for departure on or before June 30th 2020, and 96 hours before for cruise and fly. The cruise has to be in the same Geographic area as the cruise booked.

Other than this it is a case of waiting until MSC cancel your cruise and see what offer they make.

Edited by sidari

40 minutes ago, antiq said:

Hi guys,

For those who choose FCC do go direct through MSC or TA, I am just curious.

We filled out the form directly with MSC.  I was told by a MSC rep that they would process the FCC request and it would auto-generate an email to our TA.

We have read through the posts about our situation but are none the wiser?

we are a UK couple which booked a cruise(Rio  to Barcelona 20 march Seaview)

we booked on the USA website ,we were transiting through Madrid then the government advised essential travel only to Madrid.

We contacted our insurance who are saying they want proof of cancellation for our itinary(good luck getting a response from MSC at this difficult time)

We would not really be interested in the FCC but we are struggling to even find evidence the cruise is cancelled and the US website doesn't even mention it in the cancellation list

anyone any ideas?

17 minutes ago, poppyz said:

we booked on the USA website ,we were transiting through Madrid then the government advised essential travel only to Madrid.

We contacted our insurance who are saying they want proof of cancellation for our itinary(good luck getting a response from MSC at this difficult time)

We would not really be interested in the FCC but we are struggling to even find evidence the cruise is cancelled and the US website doesn't even mention it in the cancellation list

anyone any ideas?

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/-/media/global-contents/pdf-documents/table-covid-19-031620.pdf?la=en&hash=A64446C3F4B1653F7985D1D7A507C7ADE4AA21FC

1 minute ago, Addict said:

thanks

this is not on the USA website? we have has no emails of cancellation ,the USA website gives you 3 choices to follow depending on your circumstances but its vaguely directing us to the FCC section.

I have emailed MSC  to say send us a email for cancellation purposes but have received nothing.

just hope the insurance pays out i suppose

On 3/8/2020 at 9:01 AM, niko40 said:

Well MSC haven't stated this anywhere and i dont want a FCC for a  cruise next year with increased prices which we will have ro payvthe difference.  I want the security of knowing if i get denied boarding at embarkation due to their checking i will get a full refund. I dont want the hassle of having to get them to issue me wirh a doctors note for my insurance,which i have doubts they will do anyway.

The big cruise lines are offering full refunds if you are denied at embarkation not MSC.

They seem to be very underhanded 

But lets see what they publish tomorrow 

If you want that kind of security, then you have to be willing to pay a bit more money and go with the bigger, more established American cruise lines.  

21 minutes ago, poppyz said:

anyone any ideas?

If your cruise isnt yet mentioned then I think you are just in limbo and waiting to see what MSC decides.  Unless you want to go ahead and cancel with whatever penalties are in place or avail yourself of the Cruise Assurance program.

1 hour ago, rattanchair said:

P.S.  I only go for the cake.

It *is* good cake.

2 hours ago, sidari said:

The cruise has to be in the same Geographic area as the cruise booked.

I know this was written by a UK poster.  I am here asking if anyone has been told the same for a US customer?  The US Cruise Assurance site does not state this but I am having trust issues with MSC.  Am I correct in that no one has been allowed to actually rebook as 2 weeks has not lapsed so no one has actually gotten their FCC yet (in the US) and seen the full terms?

For the UK, does your site actually state this or are you being told this by MSC reps?  Like I said, I am having trust issues and I guess I am trying to gather as much info as possible as I make my choice to cancel for refund less deposit or take the FCC.  Tomorrow is the decision day for me.

27 minutes ago, poppyz said:

anyone any ideas?

I'm not so sure the Seaview from from Rio has been cancelled, it's not on the MSC US list of cancelled cruises.  I suspect it has at least been changed.  If that's the case they are then only offering the assurance plan with 48 hour cancel ability and giving a future cruise credit only.  I'd talk to both MSC and your insurance very soon to see what options you have.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Assets/Table%20-%20COVID-19_Update%20160320_23h.pdf

49 minutes ago, poppyz said:

anyone any ideas?

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Assets/Table-COVID-19-031420.pdf

Supposed to be msc's official website. It's also on the UK. & Canadian. Most likely overlooked on the USA. 

You could try contacting through email and asking for confirmation of cancellation. Might take a few days. Good luck.