MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

On 3/19/2020 at 6:31 AM, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

We are booked on that MSC September cruise with fingers crossed and have travel insurance in place..

P and O offered us 50% cash and 50% FCC if we cancelled an end of May Baltic cruise. We accepted a week ago. This morning they sent a circular withdrawing that offer from today replacing it with 100% FCCs. Alarm bells ringing. Did they misjudge customer loyalty with too much cash hemorrhaging........   Something to bear in mind if you cancel with other cruises.

We've had no money back from any cruise company yet but we did prefer the cash bird in hand approach. In my new vulnerable over 70 with underlying health issues category will I be un-insurable given the huge payout travel insurers will suffer. 

UK passenger

From P& O website as of 3/19/20:

This new policy supersedes any information you may have received over the last few days. If you have already submitted a transfer or cancellation based on the previous policy before today, we will honour this and we will be in touch with confirmation in due course.

If you have indeed accepted, the some of your money back option already, you will not be affected by the generic circular email. Sorry, that I actually took the time to read it! Why are you pulling the fire alarm again??? I know, poor, poor ......

Hang onto your September cruise travel insurance you might need the paper. In north america the toilet paper hoarding is in full force. You could probably sell it for profit. You have serious underlying health issues that will prevent you from travelling? What kind of Dr are you consulting that refuses to sign the letter for insurance if you fit the profile as they define unfit?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluejays29 said:

Lucky you in Canada we have been told refund only after December 2021 

Curious, is that for a cruise MSC cancelled? I didn't book through .ca I booked through USA site and they are still being offered money refund depending on the booking or the 125% FCC.

Have been wondering if I would have been better to go through the Canadian site. Booked with US site after being frustrated trying to use the Can. site as it kept crashing

Thanks & stay healthy.

1 hour ago, juraspark said:

Curious, is that for a cruise MSC cancelled? I didn't book through .ca I booked through USA site and they are still being offered money refund depending on the booking or the 125% FCC.

Have been wondering if I would have been better to go through the Canadian site. Booked with US site after being frustrated trying to use the Can. site as it kept crashing

Thanks & stay healthy.

Yes this is for a cruise that MSC cancelled.  The transatlantic out of New York April 15th.   We were offered either the 125% FCC or refund.   We selected refund and got an email about an hour later saying that the refund would not be given until after December 2021.   Needless to say we are not happy!

• Like 1

How is this even possible? Will they pay interest on the money? Seems like piracy is alive and well with MSC cruises. I was about to accept a refund, but not on those terms!!!! Could you post the relevant bit about the refund date so I can check with my TA?

• Like 1

I am glad some of you got refunds and so quickly.  Don't understand why I am still waiting almost three weeks later for the refund on my cruise that I cancelled within my 100% refund time period.

I don't get the you can get a refund but not for a year and half???

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kalkancruiser said:

MSC are not refunding UK passengers all. Apparently they have changed their policy.

Please let me know if anybody else finds themselves in this position.

I've not seen any UK px actually get a refund yet but some, like my family, live in hopes owing to very early application. They have changed policies but they appear to be all time sensitive and the dust hasn't settled yet.

Keep Safe!

16 hours ago, kalkancruiser said:

MSC are not refunding UK passengers all. Apparently they have changed their policy.

Please let me know if anybody else finds themselves in this position.

I spoke with a UK MSC employee, who stated that I should wait for a letter and that they would be offering FCC. I asked for a refund and she stated that only FCC were being offered.  I thought this strange as MSC have cancelled the cruise..

On looking up the terms of the Contract I had on my booking section 15(2) Read " 

These are the Terms and Conditions, which apply to your holiday package. Please read them carefully as you be bound by them.

15.2 If the cancellation prior to departure is due to an event of Force Majeure and/or any unusual /or unforeseeable circumstances beyond MSC Cruises or the Company’s control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided by MSC Cruises or the Company even though they have exercised all due care, MSC Cruises or the Company will offer the Passenger the choice of:

a) Receiving a full refund of all money paid; or

b) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of equivalent or superior quality at no extra cost, if available; or

c) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price."

Work that one out, ? I will wait for the letter, although I don't hold much faith with them, Bet I have to recontact them.

Although A FCC is better than losing Money ,  I do not understand how they can change the t&c  .

MSC 2019 Results if intrested 

MSC Cruises has reported net income of 405 million euros on revenues of 3.2 billion euros for 2019, compared to net income of 348 million euros on revenues of 2.7 billion euros for 2018.

MSC also reported more than 2.7 million passengers, which it said was an increase of 16.2 percent from the previous year. Occupancy was 112.3 percent, up from 111.6 percent in 2018. Cruise capacity was said to be up 14.4 percent year-over-year.

Fuel expenses increased 24.1 percent to 244 million euros from 196 million euros the year before, mainly driven by the additional capacity and price increases, according to MSC.

Interest expenses decreased to 121 million euros from 127 million euros.

Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, MSC said it has suspended all cruise departures for 45 days, until April 30.

Meanwhile, the company said it has put into place measures to preserve its cash position and referred to credit facilities and other sources of liquidity it may activate if needed, amounting to some 900 million euros, in addition to its current cash position of 183 million euros.

In addition, with ships in lay up, operating costs are being reduced.

Furthermore, MSC stated it is collaborating with key providers and stakeholders to improve its working capital position and is pursuing additional actions by postponing capital expenditures for business initiatives planned in the coming 18 months.

MSC said that because of the circumstances it cannot provide guidance on its financial performance for the year 2020

6 hours ago, Pennbank said:

I spoke with a UK MSC employee, who stated that I should wait for a letter and that they would be offering FCC. I asked for a refund and she stated that only FCC were being offered.  I thought this strange as MSC have cancelled the cruise..

On looking up the terms of the Contract I had on my booking section 15(2) Read " 

These are the Terms and Conditions, which apply to your holiday package. Please read them carefully as you be bound by them.

15.2 If the cancellation prior to departure is due to an event of Force Majeure and/or any unusual /or unforeseeable circumstances beyond MSC Cruises or the Company’s control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided by MSC Cruises or the Company even though they have exercised all due care, MSC Cruises or the Company will offer the Passenger the choice of:

a) Receiving a full refund of all money paid; or

b) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of equivalent or superior quality at no extra cost, if available; or

c) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price."

Work that one out, ? I will wait for the letter, although I don't hold much faith with them, Bet I have to recontact them.

Although A FCC is better than losing Money ,  I do not understand how they can change the t&c  .

A FCC is only any good if a company remains in business!

Maybe people should turn up to the ship having made a promise to pay the full balance once onboard.

Niko ... Maybe MSC should cancel one of the new ships and hand people their money back instead of holding us to ransom! not refunding money is modern day Piracy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2020 at 8:31 AM, deliver42 said:

We were booked on a cruise for 04/11 on the Seaside with their balcony for the price of an inside offer. The cruise was cancelled by MSC, and we took the refund option. Our credit card was credited today for the full amount.

What day/time did you request your refund? Did you do it thought the website? This is the first one I've read of someone getting back.

1 minute ago, skiierx131 said:

What day/time did you request your refund? Did you do it thought the website? This is the first one I've read of someone getting back.

Which side of the pond are you?
MSC are only issuing refunds to US bookings whilst they stiff their U.K. customers.

On 3/20/2020 at 6:31 PM, Ausbrit said:

How is this even possible? Will they pay interest on the money? Seems like piracy is alive and well with MSC cruises. I was about to accept a refund, but not on those terms!!!! Could you post the relevant bit about the refund date so I can check with my TA?

Canada Reservations

Wed, Mar 18, 3:30 PM (5 days ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to Canada
cleardot.gif

Dear Guests

Please note if you are looking for a refund the refunds will take place after Dec 31, 2021.

Sincerely

MSC Cruises Canada Ltd.

This was the email we recieved

We had a few cruises booked over the coming months, and all lines with the exception of MSC have been proactive in offering enhanced FCC or a full refund within a few weeks. it is not acceptable for MSC to hold onto our money for 20 months before giving a refund. Even the FCC is going to be of limited value with the £/$ exchange inevitably hiking future prices. I've sailed with them many times, always in YC and hold diamond level status. This will be the last time they ever have a penny of my money. 

Will have to claim through the credit card company as I do feel MSC are in breach of their terms and conditions.

April 4th was to be our first sailing with MSC, unfortunately, we may not be trying again. When the cancellations were announced, I immediately filled out the online form requesting a refund.  After about 3 attempts, the request went through, I got a pop-up screen that said my FCC would be forwarded to my travel agent. Well, I didn't use a travel agent, I booked online with MSC directly and I requested a refund, not an FCC. I took a screenshot to cover myself.  I never got an email confirming I had completed the form or requested a refund. Okay, the system was slammed, so I gave it a week before I called. I was told that I would receive an email 2 weeks before my sail date. 

We were to sail in 11 days, no email yet, so I called again today. I spoke to 6, yes 6 people who couldn't figure out what to do. My sister had the same exact situation and an email was sent to her as soon as she called. Really, 6 people can't confirm my refund request? My confidence in MSC actually refunding my money is waning by the minute. 

On 3/20/2020 at 8:26 AM, deliver42 said:

We got our refund back to our credit card today. It took one week, and we are very happy with MSC for the way it was handled. It was a paid in full cruise leaving 4/11.

Did you submit the online form? Did you use a travel agent?

We submitted on 3/13 as soon as the cancellations were announced and I can't even get anyone at MSC to confirm I've made a refund request for my 4/4 sailing. Booking was made directly with MSC.

On 3/4/2020 at 3:27 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yes, Viking is being AMAZING. The caveat is that you have to use the money on a future Viking sailing, it is not a refund. But this is the most consumer friendly policy I've seen. Any cruise. Any time. 

"Viking is allowing cruisers to postpone any cruise at any time up until 24 hours before departure with all cancellation fees waived. Passengers will receive a voucher for future travel valid for 24 months that can be used on any Viking cruise (river, ocean or expedition). The policy is applicable for any current booking and new reservations made through April 30."

I am totally NOT impressed with MSC!!! I want a total refund on our April cruise and booked excursions. My TA told me today that I have to take a FCC and if I don't use it by Dec 2021, we will get a refund! I don't want to go on a cruise any time soon. I am not impressed by the way MSC is treating their clients! Does anyone have any advice? 

TIA

New thread " rebooked" is giving me the fear.  If  CRUISE IS CANCELLED YOU WAIT a further 2 weeks minimum to get FCC, YOUR MONEY, whilst during that period people could go bag a bargain while you wait? Surely we must find a way to take this company to task, they cannot hold people's money hostage like this, it must be refund or immediate credit to allow fast rebooking. Anyone know where to start with this slippery cruise line? Im meaning a cruise investigation company or ombudsman type organisation?  Im not even cancelled yet but its clear they are abusing people. 

I appreciate it's different depending on what country you booked. I'm in the UK and booked via a UK TA. If they don't refund my £6k it'll be Sec 75 CC claim, Travel Insurance & finally the small claims court. They can't retrospectively change the t&c's. In addition they can't hide behind abta - a contract is a contract. I've met my part. As per sec 15.2 they will have to meet theirs. 

• Like 2

I appreciate it's different depending on what country you booked. I'm in the UK and booked via a UK TA. If they don't refund my £6k it'll be Sec 75 CC claim, Travel Insurance & finally the small claims court. They can't retrospectively change the t&c's. In addition they can't hide behind abta - a contract is a contract. I've met my part. As per sec 15.2 they will have to meet theirs. 

Good call I am in a similar position although our out lay was a lot less but I am going to go down cc route as well. My desire to go on a cruise right isn’t that strong right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk