MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

Just now, zitangie said:

We are healthy, 30 years old but our son is 3. Can't imagine being quarantined in a cruise cabin with a child 😞
It would be our first cruise, we were flying from Europe, planning to stay 4 more days on Miami after the cruise and then return home. It was our original plan. Let's see how the situation evolves.
Holidays should be to relax and forget everyday problems, not to be stressed and with fear of being locked in an hotel/cruise/airport 😞 

I totally agree with you. Although we had a great cruise, the shadow of this was always looming. Lets hope that Monday's announcement allows rebooking without penalty or refunds. 

3 minutes ago, GrannyGear said:

I totally agree with you. Although we had a great cruise, the shadow of this was always looming. Lets hope that Monday's announcement allows rebooking without penalty or refunds. 

Unfortunately for me, the cruise price is less than half of the total cost for this trip. 
Plane tickets were too expensive and I won't be refunded for that. Also the hotel at Miami won't give us the money back... 
If I cancel the cruise and get the money back, I can book a hotel at Miami for the period of the cruise. Let's wait for news.
Thanks for the help!

Anyone know what position is with independently booked flights if cruise Is cancelled by the company? Particularly from a U.K. perspective and wether insurance would cover ?

going to check with insurance company Monday but thought someone may have similar experience?

12 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

I’m going to reach out to a few high impact YouTube Influencers and Cruise Content Creators to get this exposed. This company’s lack of response is downright negligent in my opinion. 

Sounds good - happy to provide my experience for you in which we were denied any offer to move the cruise on the 29th of Feb, travelling through Northern Italy to head to Genoa! 

• Like 1

Live Coverage of Pence’s meeting in Port Canaveral (3pm local EST)

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/03/07/vice-president-mike-pence-to-speak-at-port-everglades-addressing-cruise-line-coronavirus-concerns/

Live Now!! 3:08pm

update at 3:22:

Not live anymore, the doors were closed and press was ushered out. 

Edited by BoundForSea
update
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Micheb5 said:

We are on Meraviglia Mar 15. I have received no communication other than upgrade offers to date.

Upgrade Offers 😂 I called the other day to upgrade to a balcony. The posted rate on the website was $1500 when I asked they said $1800. I asked why and they said "oh you already booked, that price is for new bookings" I said well where are you getting the new price from? I have no time for these greedy buggers

19 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My group of 8 is fine with a FCC good through dec 2021. We will let msc hold our money. Win win imo

i know everyone wouldn’t be happy with that arrangement, just speaking for us.

What cruise? date? did you get this FCC from? 

4 hours ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

Just seen elsewhere: 

• I apologize if this is off the general topic, but I just spoke with MSC and was told they will be announcing a new cancellation policy on Monday, March 9th, so stay tuned. I am booked on the Meraviglia, April 12th, so this new info should be of interest to any near future Meraviglia cruiser.

Not my post, so I have no further info. 

Similar post on my Meet Up page. MSC USA agent said they expect new information on Monday with regards to policy. On a Grand Voyage arriving in Venice early May, is valid for the rebooking offer made last week. Was also told that the year available to use it was based on sail date not change date. But it isn't in writing and I wasn't told directly. If so, it is better news for some and we can hope for better news for more in a few days.

We have a 4/6 departure on Opera from Barcelona, visiting 1 port in Italy.  I called today to ask about the March/April Mediterranean policy for refunds or rebookings and was referred to wait til Monday...when I stated I would like to know the policy today I was told the rebooking was for March only cruises right now and that Monday might change things for departures after April 1st.   We shall see...

Just called MSC again today with concerns about possilble viral exposure due to working in critical care in a hospital with testing frequency increasing daily.  I was told by MSC crisis that though without symptoms, I will need to fly down to Miami to be screened by their trained staff and in all likelihood will not be allowed to board due to their current policy anyway.  I don't understand why they would want me to visit their embarkation point for assessment with the possibility of already being exposed to this virus.  I can't make any progress on this with them and was instructed to have testing results available in order to board.  The MSC crisis would not listen to reason and seemed to be reading from a prepared script.  This is just so unfortunate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

I’m going to reach out to a few high impact YouTube Influencers and Cruise Content Creators to get this exposed. This company’s lack of response is downright negligent in my opinion. 

Yes it needs to be out on social media they may change their policy in line with the other cruise lines.

Its the reason i started this post tbh i found them to be completely none caring to the situation.

I have posted on their Twitter page and been intouch with cruise with Ben&David on twitter/youtube

44 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51787238

a lot of Italy in lockdown so most med cruises will be cancelled 

Wouldn't surprise me if MSC say that Genoa is no where near these regions, and there is nothing to worry about - just like what they said to me in writing last week when I was worried about transiting via Milan (which is now officially on lockdown!)  

• Like 1

We are due to sail Barcelona to Genoa on 4 April. 
I’m a teacher and I look after my nephew who is only 8 months. 
I have been worried only about getting off and out of northern Italy and am so confused with the US MSC saying they won’t let anyone board who has travelled in Italy and yet they will be embarking and disembarking in Genoa ! 
I booked with UK, they don’t mention this at all ! 
surely the same rules should apply 

in light of the latest news , I’m concerned as getting home is my concern and not then having to self quarantine

thanks for updates on experiences u

We are on MSC on 26th March. The itinerary includes three Italian ports, what’s the point. Italy is now on total lockdown. I was expecting them to reroute the ship, but so far nothing. If we cancel, no refund, can move to a later date. The FCO haven’t put up a full restriction to Italy, so no refund from insurance company. Our cruise starts in Barcelona, so airlines aren’t interested in changing tickets. All a bit of a mess really. Anyway main thing is we stay safe, but would like money back. 

It seems that MSC goes out of their way to earn their reputation for lousy customer service.  If they are not willing to work with their customers when things are tense and confusing, they don't necessarily deserve to have customers to work with when things are running smoothly.  Learning how little they respect their would be passengers is going to be an expensive lesson for many of us.  Not one we will soon forget, I expect. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hampshirejudy said:

We are on MSC on 26th March. The itinerary includes three Italian ports, what’s the point. Italy is now on total lockdown. I was expecting them to reroute the ship, but so far nothing. If we cancel, no refund, can move to a later date. The FCO haven’t put up a full restriction to Italy, so no refund from insurance company. Our cruise starts in Barcelona, so airlines aren’t interested in changing tickets. All a bit of a mess really. Anyway main thing is we stay safe, but would like money back. 

We have a friends who is likely on this cruise, Grandiosa ? they have heard that the ports will be cancelled but nothing official. Tomorrow will likely see a decision on Italian ports. They need to make a decision soon because ships will begin to return from their winter ports and most are headed to Italian ports! Costa cruises have already re routed one of their ships from Savona to Le Havre in France.

6 hours ago, niko40 said:

Yes it needs to be out on social media they may change their policy in line with the other cruise lines.

Its the reason i started this post tbh i found them to be completely none caring to the situation.

I have posted on their Twitter page and been intouch with cruise with Ben&David on twitter/youtube

Niko ... I had a reply from the UK office having asked them about the change of policy on the USA site and quoting that policy, the response was to check out the UK website! So I can only take that to mean that there is no policy!

I would advise to stand down on the pitchforks and torches for MSC until tomorrow (Monday). The major cruise lines only announced their revised polices on Friday. We all know MSC operates differently, but my experience has been quite good with them offering fair compensation when needed and even going over and beyond. I would be very surprised if they do not come out with a reasonable update to their booking and cancellation polices at some point tomorrow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidari said:

Niko ... I had a reply from the UK office having asked them about the change of policy on the USA site and quoting that policy, the response was to check out the UK website! So I can only take that to mean that there is no policy!

There is nothing as of yet so we shall wait and see but not holding my breath for anything spectacular 

2 minutes ago, NameThatFunnel said:

I would advise to stand down on the pitchforks and torches for MSC until tomorrow (Monday). The major cruise lines only announced their revised polices on Friday. We all know MSC operates differently, but my experience has been quite good with them offering fair compensation when needed and even going over and beyond. I would be very surprised if they do not come out with a reasonable update to their booking and cancellation polices at some point tomorrow.

Most ofthe major cruise lines announced over a week ago and my experience has been very disappointing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, niko40 said:

There is nothing as of yet so we shall wait and see but not holding my breath for anything spectacular 

To quote the Greeks "Avrio" or Tomorrow ! we shall see.