CBD and cruising

orderfire

I've recently begun using CBD oil capsules at night for sleep and pain relief and I'm wondering if anyone has info on whether CBD is prohibited on cruise ships or..?   Hesitant to pack it for my upcoming cruise.  Any info appreciated!

As indicated in that article, many cruise lines specifically prohibit it being brought on board.  It would help to know which cruise line you will be cruising with to get a definitive answer.  But in general I would suggest leaving it at home to be sure as there may also be issues with the ports of call you will be visiting.  And regardless of whether it is on your person or in your stateroom, while in that port, the ship - and you - are under that country's regulations.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 4

Every cruise line I've been on has a prohibition against CBD in any form, with penalties ranging from fines, eviction from the ship or legal issues with local authorities.

I have no idea how they could enforce it though.  Many cruisers bring assorted meds on board and I have yet to see anyone's weekly dispenser get searched.  Security scanners have no clue or been trained on how to tell a CBD capsule from a Vitamin E capsule.  I haven't read of anyone who has been caught with CBD capsules.

Now bringing on a bottle clearly marked as some form of CBD product like oil or lotion would be silly, but a few extra capsules, well, only the OP can decide if it's worth the potential risk.

Pot or THC is clearly another story and scanners and their dogs can detect that product and then enforce heavy penalties.

• Like 2

Interesting, as I was about to ask a similar question on behalf of our friends who I'm trying to talk into a first (Caribbean) cruise.  I had no idea this could be an issue - in 2020?  Have things changed on this matter since it has become so commonplace and legal in so many places?  My friend has severe pain from 2 previous auto accidents in the last 10 years.  The CBD oil or drops seem to be a better pain control than the narcotic pills or patches he could be taking with much worse side effects.  Is a doctor Rx legit on this?  I honestly don't know.  Destination unknown other than I'm trying to keep possibilities in Carib for easier access to and from by plane from home to the port city.  Now, probably won't be before 2021 pending changes in health or legality on this matter.  I'll be watching for more news and updates on this topic.

23 minutes ago, Byairorsea said:

I had no idea this could be an issue - in 2020?

While the US may have become "progressive" with respect to CBD, you must remember that once on the ship you are no longer on US territory, and no longer subject to US federal, state, or local laws.  You are under either the laws of the "flag state" (the country where the ship is registered) or the "port state" (the country where the ship is docked), in varying degrees of jurisdiction.  The reason that most cruise lines prohibit CBD is because the maritime industry, worldwide, has a "zero tolerance" for drug use, and allowing passengers onboard with CBD would open a gray area, with the possibility of cross-over to crew.  So, no, a doctor's prescription is not valid for CBD, and there will not be any "change in legality" on this, since that legality is not from the US.  Even for crew on US flag ships, all US citizens, the use of CBD is questionable, as some CBD products may contain enough THC to cause a failure of a drug test, and loss of mariner's credentials.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Byairorsea said:

Interesting, as I was about to ask a similar question on behalf of our friends who I'm trying to talk into a first (Caribbean) cruise.  I had no idea this could be an issue - in 2020?  Have things changed on this matter since it has become so commonplace and legal in so many places?  My friend has severe pain from 2 previous auto accidents in the last 10 years.  The CBD oil or drops seem to be a better pain control than the narcotic pills or patches he could be taking with much worse side effects.  Is a doctor Rx legit on this?  I honestly don't know.  Destination unknown other than I'm trying to keep possibilities in Carib for easier access to and from by plane from home to the port city.  Now, probably won't be before 2021 pending changes in health or legality on this matter.  I'll be watching for more news and updates on this topic.

It's not as simple as the current US situation as the ships are internationally flagged with international crew and the cruise lines have their own policies and regulations regardless of US laws.  Something that all passengers have to abide by, regardless of their beliefs or laws in the country or state they live in.

Hopefully chengkp75 will see this thread and weigh in with the correct and detailed response.

Edited to note chengkp75 - thank you for your response as always.  I was still typing when you posted!

• Like 3

Ah, a much more involved situation than one realizes at first.  Of course I understand the no-smoking of "pot" and using of other "hard drugs" whereas somehow when CBD is in a cream or drops form it seems less serious.  I was obviously wrong.  My friend said this, and I was surprised to hear that this would be a problem.  Their cruise prospects look dim, unless a better pain reliever Rx comes along with minimal side effects.  Thanks for the follow-up comments.

Thank you very much to all who replied, lots of useful info here.  I hadn't seen the article and that pretty much sums it up.  Looks like the only thing to do is leave the reliable CDB at home and go back to NSAIDS!   

Thanks again.   🙏

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

@orderfire & @Byairorsea also consider if you have to fly to your embarkation point. Any products must contain 0.3 percent THC or less on a dry weight basis or be approved by FDA.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/medical-marijuana

Not sure what this has to do with any part of this thread, which is about CBD, not THC or pot, medical marijuana or CBD infused with THC.

Reputable CBD products (capsules, oils and lotions) should have been tested by independent 3rd parties and verified THC free.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Not sure what this has to do with any part of this thread, which is about CBD, not THC or pot, medical marijuana or CBD infused with THC.

Reputable CBD products (capsules, oils and lotions) should have been tested by independent 3rd parties and verified THC free.

While perhaps true, it still doesn't change the fact that these products are prohibited by most cruise lines - and may also be by many ports of call.

53 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

Put them in a different container and take them with you.

Great advice!  So it doesn't matter if you are in violation of a cruise line's - or perhaps a port of call's - policy or regulation.  Just so long as you can sneak it on and get away with it, fine! 

• Like 3

On 3/4/2020 at 7:56 PM, chengkp75 said:

While the US may have become "progressive" with respect to CBD, you must remember that once on the ship you are no longer on US territory, and no longer subject to US federal, state, or local laws.  You are under either the laws of the "flag state" (the country where the ship is registered) or the "port state" (the country where the ship is docked), in varying degrees of jurisdiction.  The reason that most cruise lines prohibit CBD is because the maritime industry, worldwide, has a "zero tolerance" for drug use, and allowing passengers onboard with CBD would open a gray area, with the possibility of cross-over to crew.  So, no, a doctor's prescription is not valid for CBD, and there will not be any "change in legality" on this, since that legality is not from the US.  Even for crew on US flag ships, all US citizens, the use of CBD is questionable, as some CBD products may contain enough THC to cause a failure of a drug test, and loss of mariner's credentials.

Research is showing the THC level can accumulate in the blood with routine use , raising slowing to levels of impairment.  CBD oil made in state where marijuana is completely legal  can indeed contain high levels of THC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

How does one tell what is reputable?  It is not FDA tested.  CBD oil made in states where marijuana is legal can contain any level of THC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

How does one tell what is reputable?  It is not FDA tested.  CBD oil made in states where marijuana is legal can contain any level of THC

And how would a cruise line detect CBD capsules in someone's meds dispenser?  Could you imagine the outcry about longer embarkation lines and unwarranted inspections if cruise line security ask everyone to produce and open their meds containers? How does security tell a Vitamin E capsule or whatever from a CBD capsule?

An informed consumer who investigates a CBD company and inspects their certificate of inspection by an independent 3rd party would find no THC in their products.

A person using a reputable CBD product presents no signs of being incapacitated or high.  All that CBD does is to take the edge off pain and body aches.  It may do this better than any opoid prescribed medication.

Understanding the potential risk, accepting the negative consequences and being able to enjoy the cruise are all factors an individual must take into consideration.  

@evandbob The purpose was educational. There are some CBD products that contain THC. OP did not specify. I was merely hoping that if they were flying they also took that into account. You seem to be educated on the subject. New users may not be as current/knowledgeable.

I am a rule follower. However, I am by no means passing judgement on those that use these products. I have friends and family that swear by them. I simply would prefer people know the rules and then make their decisions on risk.

Edited by JennyB1977

Those that say that there shouldn't be THC in CBD may be surprised. As it isn't regulated, it can contain THC. We know of someone who started to take CBD, bought at a health food store, told THC free- who failed his mandated by the federal government for work pee in a cup drug test. It caused a ton of issues. Not sure if a dog would pick it up or not, but it could cause a few issues in foreign countries if discovered.

Know your risks and decide for yourself if you can live with the outcomes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WOW!  Getting far more feedback than I anticipated on this.  If a person takes orally (drops) or uses as cream/lotion on the pain areas of lower back or hip - that wouldn't be problem flying or going ashore from a ship.  ???  I'm assuming a dog in airport isn't going to stop someone from the smell on them?   Certainly the ship or destination police aren't going to make someone pee in a cup to see if they are a user?   I'm reading between the lines and guessing the only problem would be in HAVING the product (CBD oil or lotion) in their luggage?  Again, not me, and my friends have already decided not to cruise this year.  Will wait until next year and see how he feels, and if anything has changed in having this in his possession (checked luggage or his cabin).  Thanks

1 hour ago, Byairorsea said:

WOW!  Getting far more feedback than I anticipated on this.  If a person takes orally (drops) or uses as cream/lotion on the pain areas of lower back or hip - that wouldn't be problem flying or going ashore from a ship.  ???  I'm assuming a dog in airport isn't going to stop someone from the smell on them?   Certainly the ship or destination police aren't going to make someone pee in a cup to see if they are a user?   I'm reading between the lines and guessing the only problem would be in HAVING the product (CBD oil or lotion) in their luggage?  Again, not me, and my friends have already decided not to cruise this year.  Will wait until next year and see how he feels, and if anything has changed in having this in his possession (checked luggage or his cabin).  Thanks

I only brought up the pee in a cup in response to those that said that there is no THC in the products. He thought he was good to go. Just want you to understand with no regulation there can be small amounts of THC in the product. Drug dogs are trained to hit on certain smells. If an agricultural dog can hit on that banana or apple in your bag you forgot about a dog may very well hit on the smell of THC (small probability, but might) and if you are outside of the US you may find things tricky. Some countries take this way more seriously than the US. This is from a group in the UK and does a nice job of listing countries and their policies/laws. https://www.yourhemp.co.uk/2019/05/29/which-countries-is-cbd-legal/

Read to the bottom, there are countries where the penalty could be death.

Edited by WisconsinFan

54 minutes ago, Byairorsea said:

There are ports that bring dogs onboard the ship while it is docked. For example Bermuda is well known for doing that. They have sniffed out drugs in cabin safes.The dogs can be trained to detect CBD. They might or not be. If they are trained to detect CBD ( I don’t know) just smelling it on the person might mean a search. They are not going to make them pee in a cup. So as a user without the product they would be okay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WisconsinFan said:

Those that say that there shouldn't be THC in CBD may be surprised. As it isn't regulated, it can contain THC. We know of someone who started to take CBD, bought at a health food store, told THC free- who failed his mandated by the federal government for work pee in a cup drug test. It caused a ton of issues. Not sure if a dog would pick it up or not, but it could cause a few issues in foreign countries if discovered.

Know your risks and decide for yourself if you can live with the outcomes.

Exactly. I work in a workplace where we drug test and I am involved in administering them. I asked one of the nurses who works for the collection company and she highly recommends not using CBD oil if you get drug tested. Even the ones that say zero THC often have some THC, and enough to fail a test. Using the basis of not getting high isn't much of a measure. That's like saying there's zero alcohol in non-alcoholic beer because you don't get drunk. It's actually mandated at less than .5% alcohol but there could be some in it. 

As far as taking on a cruise. I would see more issues with flying with it and returning through customs with it. I don't think cruise line security is going to do more than take it from you if they found it.  And if it's in pill form, I've never had them look twice as my pills. Agree that you shouldn't carry it into other countries but if you were able to drive to the cruise and took only what you needed and tossed any leftovers before you returned, I think chances are good it would not be found out. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, evandbob said:

And how would a cruise line detect CBD capsules in someone's meds dispenser?  Could you imagine the outcry about longer embarkation lines and unwarranted inspections if cruise line security ask everyone to produce and open their meds containers? How does security tell a Vitamin E capsule or whatever from a CBD capsule?

An informed consumer who investigates a CBD company and inspects their certificate of inspection by an independent 3rd party would find no THC in their products.

A person using a reputable CBD product presents no signs of being incapacitated or high.  All that CBD does is to take the edge off pain and body aches.  It may do this better than any opoid prescribed medication.

Understanding the potential risk, accepting the negative consequences and being able to enjoy the cruise are all factors an individual must take into consideration.  

The cruiser found with CBD is responsible for its content.  Whether items are found on some random security screening (yes, unlikely)or found by Customs upon re-entry (more likely), the excuse "it says it doesn't contain THC" may not be sufficient to avoid consequences.  A person using legally purchased CBD products in my state can become intoxicated since there is no prohibitions here on THC levels.   

• Like 1