Business class flight accessibility

shel003

I’m considering doing a cruise around Australia and New Zealand and would be flying out of New York. In the past I have always flown economy but due to the horrendously long flight I’m considering splurging on business class airfare. How accessible is business class? I’m thinking about using Quantas airlines as I have heard good things about them. I’m able to walk a little bit but have bad balance so I use an aisle chair to get to my seat. I also have a lot of difficulty standing from a seated position so I have to pivot or slide from the aisle chair to the plane seat.

i was also concerned about storage in business class. I am on a ventilator to help me breathe and in the past it fits fine under the seat in front of me but I understand that most business class seats have aisle access. Is there room for me to store it? The ventilator is smaller than a lap top case.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.

Business is the way to go, especially on such a long flight.  I typically fly from the west coast to Europe on British Airlines.  The storage is a drawer under the seat.  You might look at the individual airline web site or try seat guru.com for cabin photos.

I second using seat guru to see the layout of the particular plane that will be flying the route you will be taking. I flew American Airlines from NC to San Francisco and Qantas from there to Sydney. I found Qantas to be excellent in business class. I had a lie flat seat which is great when going on such a long flight. There were lots of cubby holes where I could place items. I put my laptop in one when I wasn't using it. I would love to go back to Australia.

Edited by katisdale

I will look at seat guru. Something that I have a hard time telling from photos is whether there is enough room or how easy it would be to transfer to the seat from the aisle chair. I’m assuming that the arm rests aren’t movable. I want to make sure I’m able to get in and out of the seat without any major issues.

Actually, most airlines have movable arm rests on at least the first few rows of each class exactly so that wheelchair passengers can transfer. I always call to make sure the seats we are getting have armrests that raise. So you should be good.