Dover Port Questions for Transport to London/Victoria Station

We are taking a cruise that will end at Dover.   We will be spending a couple days in London (near Victoria Station) post cruise.  From what I understand (or at least I think I do) there is an option to take a train or bus from Dover to London/Victoria Station.  We are looking to take bus so we can enjoy seeing the county on the ride.  We will buy tickets in advance.

Questions I have:

1. What is best way to get from Dover Port to Dover Town Centre to catch the bus?  Would that be by Taxi?

2. Is the bus worth riding to see the country as we ride or is it better to take train?  Train shows about an hour longer ride than train. 

3. What other advice or recommendations would you make to a novice doing this for first time? 

Thanks in advance

Take a taxi to the town centre as I don't think there's any other way to get there from the cruise terminal. 

Personally, I'd take the train to Victoria Station. It's a nice trip (the train goes under the white cliffs between Dover and Folkestone) and there's usually plenty of room (depending on what time you travel and how many cruisers decide to get the same train). Been a long time since I've done the coach trip, but it'll go along main roads and the only one that'll have nice views will be the A20 for about 8 miles. Once you get to Folkestone, you'll be on the M20 and other main motorways so not so interesting. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PhilbeachTraveller said:

Take a taxi to the town centre as I don't think there's any other way to get there from the cruise terminal. 

Personally, I'd take the train to Victoria Station. It's a nice trip (the train goes under the white cliffs between Dover and Folkestone) and there's usually plenty of room (depending on what time you travel and how many cruisers decide to get the same train). Been a long time since I've done the coach trip, but it'll go along main roads and the only one that'll have nice views will be the A20 for about 8 miles. Once you get to Folkestone, you'll be on the M20 and other main motorways so not so interesting. 

Thanks Phil for the info.  I had thought taxi would be advisable but it's such a short distance I wasn't sure if there was some other options.  

3 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Trains are wonderful in the UK. Price it early, we were able to get first class for the price many paid for regular seating as we booked early. No worries if you want to wait just was nice to get the first class seating!

A newbie to the UK trains, is there a significant difference in First Class for Dover->London vs. regular coach?  Price is currently showing $48 difference per ticket ($35 for coach vs. $83 for first class).  I'm OK with paying more if there is difference in the service level, could make the 2 hr trip even more enjoyable for sure.  

27 minutes ago, bobandsherry said:

A newbie to the UK trains, is there a significant difference in First Class for Dover->London vs. regular coach?  Price is currently showing $48 difference per ticket ($35 for coach vs. $83 for first class).  I'm OK with paying more if there is difference in the service level, could make the 2 hr trip even more enjoyable for sure.  

The Man in Seat 61 has extensive information on train travel in the UK

https://www.seat61.com/UK-train-travel.htm

There is a section on fare classes about 1/2 way down the page.

When I took the train from Edinburgh to London (admittedly a longer trip and a different operator), the first class carriages were 3 seats across (2 and 1) and the second class were 4 across (2 and 2), and they served a meal in first class.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

The Man in Seat 61 has extensive information on train travel in the UK

https://www.seat61.com/UK-train-travel.htm

There is a section on fare classes about 1/2 way down the page.

Thanks for that link, looks to be very useful as I try to understand how to best get from point A to point B in a country I've never visited before. 

Phil's the local for info on Dover, but I think we're all agreed that the train is generally the better bet.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/s

Departure station is Dover Priory, it's a 10-minute £10 taxi ride to the station (similar time / cost as to the Nat Express bus stop, but slightly different direction).

Nat Express buses https://www.nationalexpress.com/en go to Victoria coach station, there are no worthwhile central London stops en-route.

But there are direct trains to a choice of London train stations, including  Victoria, St Pancras, Charing Cross, London Bridge and Waterloo East, and one of those stations might be ideal for your London hotel.

Walk-up train fares are around £40 to £50 (Nat Express coach fares are under £10), but Advance fares on some train routes to London are as low as £10. Those Advance fares are usually only available from about 8 weeks out, so choose a date in late March / early April to see them. Those Advance tickets are only good for the train time that you book - miss it & your tickets are trash.

The road route isn't particularly scenic, and can be frustratingly slow as you reach central London.

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Phil's the local for info on Dover, but I think we're all agreed that the train is generally the better bet.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/s

Departure station is Dover Priory, it's a 10-minute £10 taxi ride to the station (similar time / cost as to the Nat Express bus stop, but slightly different direction).

Nat Express buses https://www.nationalexpress.com/en go to Victoria coach station, there are no worthwhile central London stops en-route.

But there are direct trains to a choice of London train stations, including  Victoria, St Pancras, Charing Cross, London Bridge and Waterloo East, and one of those stations might be ideal for your London hotel.

Walk-up train fares are around £40 to £50 (Nat Express coach fares are under £10), but Advance fares on some train routes to London are as low as £10. Those Advance fares are usually only available from about 8 weeks out, so choose a date in late March / early April to see them. Those Advance tickets are only good for the train time that you book - miss it & your tickets are trash.

The road route isn't particularly scenic, and can be frustratingly slow as you reach central London.

I think we'll go the train route since coach seems to not be scenic 😞  Looks like price is very reasonable for standard, but as you said those cheap tickets just get trashed if you miss the specific time.  While we have cruised many times, first time disembarking at port outside the US, so have no idea how long it may take to get off the ship, get luggage and be at the station, so may need to spring $$$ for the "anytime" ticket.  

Our hotel is about 1/2 mile from Victoria Station.

5 minutes ago, bobandsherry said:

I think we'll go the train route since coach seems to not be scenic 😞  Looks like price is very reasonable for standard, but as you said those cheap tickets just get trashed if you miss the specific time.  While we have cruised many times, first time disembarking at port outside the US, so have no idea how long it may take to get off the ship, get luggage and be at the station, so may need to spring $$$ for the "anytime" ticket.  

Our hotel is about 1/2 mile from Victoria Station.

For the London Victoria route the Advance tickets are currently showing as far out as the end of May.:classic_smile:

At just £10.10 :classic_smile:

On current timetables the 09.15 train might be just a little bit risky, but I see no problem with making the 10.18.

Because of the cost vs savings I'd be inclined to book the 10.18.

In the likely event of catching it, you save about £30 per person.

In the unlikely event that you miss it (could happen if your ship is delayed) you waste about £10 per person.

I'm no gambler, but I'd book it.

The train will be more scenic than a 2hr trip in a coach. 

You haven't mentioned exactly where you're staying, other than 1/2 miles from Victoria Stn.  From Dover, you have a number of stations you could go into in central London, and Charing Cross is only about a mile from Victoria, so if your hotel is north or east of Victoria Station, Charing Cross is just as useful, and a ticket bought 8 weeks out can be as low at £10 (tickets are released at 12 weeks out, but often the cheap discount ones don't appear until 8-10 weeks). 

As for regular vs first class, on the short (less than 2hr), a regular ticket will be just fine.  1st class will just get you a very slightly larger seat and that's it (and it's not like they were small in the 1st place).

You haven't mentioned exactly where you're staying, other than 1/2 miles from Victoria Stn.  From Dover, you have a number of stations you could go into in central London, and Charing Cross is only about a mile from Victoria, so if your hotel is north or east of Victoria Station, Charing Cross is just as useful, and a ticket bought 8 weeks out can be as low at £10 (tickets are released at 12 weeks out, but often the cheap discount ones don't appear until 8-10 weeks). 

Our hotel is south of Victoria station, staying at Blades Hotel.

As for regular vs first class, on the short (less than 2hr), a regular ticket will be just fine.  1st class will just get you a very slightly larger seat and that's it (and it's not like they were small in the 1st place).

That's info I was looking for, short trip seems like not worth the extra $$$. And going to guess that standard seats on train are as nice, and probably nicer than what we would have had on coach.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

For the London Victoria route the Advance tickets are currently showing as far out as the end of May.:classic_smile:
At just £10.10 :classic_smile:
On current timetables the 09.15 train might be just a little bit risky, but I see no problem with making the 10.18.

Because of the cost vs savings I'd be inclined to book the 10.18.
In the likely event of catching it, you save about £30 per person.
In the unlikely event that you miss it (could happen if your ship is delayed) you waste about £10 per person.
I'm no gambler, but I'd book it.

We aren't in any hurry to get to London, can't check in too early. I was looking at something late 10-11am. Don't mind being early to station but don't want to be late. It's all new to us so maybe even plan for slightly later train and then take time to look at what's around the train station.

8 minutes ago, bobandsherry said:

We aren't in any hurry to get to London, can't check in too early. I was looking at something late 10-11am. Don't mind being early to station but don't want to be late. It's all new to us so maybe even plan for slightly later train and then take time to look at what's around the train station.

Then Advance book the 11.15,

But you'll be thrown off the ship by about 10am so take something to read at the station :classic_biggrin:

Or book both the 10.18 and the 11.15. 

Even with one destined for the trash-bin it'll cost you half the walk-up fare. 

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Then Advance book the 11.15,

But you'll be thrown off the ship by about 10am so take something to read at the station :classic_biggrin:

Or book both the 10.18 and the 11.15. 

Even with one destined for the trash-bin it'll cost you half the walk-up fare. 

Yeah, I figure we'll be off the ship by 10am, cruise line is good at getting people off of the ship 🙂  What I'm not sure of, and have experienced, is long lines and slowness of the customs/immigration.  Not sure if UK is any more efficient than the group here in the US.  Seems like the US C/I has excepted a challenge as to how slow they can process people, especially with large # of non-UK cruisers.  As example, off the ship in Miami at 7:30, took until 8:30 for luggage.  And then long line to go through C/I. Well after 9 before we were on the road.  Thanks for your suggestions.

25 minutes ago, bobandsherry said:

Yeah, I figure we'll be off the ship by 10am, cruise line is good at getting people off of the ship 🙂  What I'm not sure of, and have experienced, is long lines and slowness of the customs/immigration.  Not sure if UK is any more efficient than the group here in the US.  Seems like the US C/I has excepted a challenge as to how slow they can process people, especially with large # of non-UK cruisers.  As example, off the ship in Miami at 7:30, took until 8:30 for luggage.  And then long line to go through C/I. Well after 9 before we were on the road.  Thanks for your suggestions.

I don't know how well they cope in Dover, but in Southampton they're pretty speedy.

Like most airports world-wide, Customs is a walk-through - except the few whose collars are felt by one of Her Majesty's finest, and even then it's quick unless there are serious suspicions.

And don't knock US C/I too hard - my experience is that they've been a lot quicker in recent years than in the days of yore.:classic_smile:

8 hours ago, bobandsherry said:

We were LNR first class from London to Edinburgh. it was nice as it was a day we left Bath and went back to London to go to Edinburgh. Seats were nice and there was food service and drinks included. As I said, I had booked early and in the end others were paying more for coach than we did. 

Not sure how much traveling you are doing (or how you are getting from airport to cruise) but if it pays, the train ticket 2 together may be beneficial. I believe it is 30% off the ticket. (you pay for the 2 together.) We landed at Gatwick and very easy to get there. I think we had to take pictures of us but only took a minute to get the card. I believe 2 together works in all the Uk so if you are doing a little traveling at ports it saves a little. It paid for itself when we went from London to Edinburgh. the rest was just an added bonus.

Our train trip was even more enjoyable as it was free. LNR had a policy if you were more than an hour late, they reimbursed your fare! Never so happy to be an hour and 5 minutes late!

Train travel is easy especially with an app like google maps.  

Not sure how much traveling you are doing (or how you are getting from airport to cruise) but if it pays, the train ticket 2 together may be beneficial.

Our cruise is Transatlantic, so we'll be cruising from NY to Dover, 16 days with 5 ports. We'll then spend 3 days in London, not sure what we will do, still planning to do. Then fly out of Heathrow back to home in Tampa.

15 hours ago, bobandsherry said:

Our cruise is Transatlantic, so we'll be cruising from NY to Dover, 16 days with 5 ports. We'll then spend 3 days in London, not sure what we will do, still planning to do. Then fly out of Heathrow back to home in Tampa.

The "two-together" Rail Card mentioned by Luv2 costs £30, lasts for a year, and gives a discount of about 33% on most rail fares.

Well-worthwhile for residents who use the train quite often throughout the year, and for short-term visitors it's well-worthwhile for even just the one long rail journey like Luv2's London to Edinburgh.

But if you're staying around London &  the south-east during your three days the savings won't be worth the cost of the card.