carnival corovirus cancellations

dietpepsi

i wonder when carnival will join the other cruise lines and relax their policy in regard to changes and cancellations...i am booked on carnival dream on march 30th and i am scared...i am also high risk...i would rather lose the money than risk my life

3 hours ago, dietpepsi said:

i wonder when carnival will join the other cruise lines and relax their policy in regard to changes and cancellations...i am booked on carnival dream on march 30th and i am scared...i am also high risk...i would rather lose the money than risk my life

This is what insurance is for.  Use your insurance policy.  If you bought one, file a claim, if you are self insured (you took the risk on yourself), then your checking account will pay out.  They are not going to eat thousands of dollars because somebody has a fear.  We are leaving next week.  We knew that booking during flu/cold season, there could be things in the air.  That is a choice we made, and will make sure we wash our hands, and avoid contact with others as much as possible.  Might also completely avoid the buffet.

Edited by rukkian
  • Like 2

insurance will not pay out because you have a fear either though... people need to stop saying that. you need to actually be impacted to file a claim.

unless you have the cancel for any reason policy, which is a reduced cruise credit usually.

there are also other coronovirus threads, check those out.

Edited by Denverdonkeys
  • Like 5

You have to make this decision for yourself and not wait for carnival to adjust a policy. You are 25 days out which would certainly be a large loss financially (75% most likely) but you have to trust your gut here given you are in a high risk group. Have you called Carnival (or your TA) to confirm your penalty? You just need to be sure you have all of the info you need (and that it’s correct) to make the decisions best for you and you alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

35 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

You have to make this decision for yourself and not wait for carnival to adjust a policy. You are 25 days out which would certainly be a large loss financially (75% most likely) but you have to trust your gut here given you are in a high risk group. Have you called Carnival (or your TA) to confirm your penalty? You just need to be sure you have all of the info you need (and that it’s correct) to make the decisions best for you and you alone.

I agree with the logic of making a decision, not so much on the 75%.  Where is that coming from (without insurance)?

2 hours ago, rukkian said:

This is what insurance is for.  Use your insurance policy.  If you bought one, file a claim, if you are self insured (you took the risk on yourself), then your checking account will pay out.  They are not going to eat thousands of dollars because somebody has a fear.  We are leaving next week.  We knew that booking during flu/cold season, there could be things in the air.  That is a choice we made, and will make sure we wash our hands, and avoid contact with others as much as possible.  Might also completely avoid the buffet.

True,if the op booked Carnival insurance they could cancel under CFAR and get 75% credit (to be used within w4 months) and possibly 100% depending on doctor agreement and resolution.  

I agree with the logic of making a decision, not so much on the 75%.  Where is that coming from (without insurance)?

It’s coming from the carnival cancellation policy.

“From 29 to15 days prior to sailing, the penalty is 75% of the total fare or the standard deposit amount, whichever is greater”.

• Like 1

Also, if comparing other cruise line's policies, make sure that you are comparing apples to apples.

There is a big difference in the cruising demographic on a Viking cruise and the contract between the passenger and cruise line at booking to that of a Carnival cruise.

Other policy for some other lines are specifically by cruise itinerary.

I am not aware of any changes by any line for"what if" cancellations. 

Let's face it, if a passenger is in a high risk category of corona virus, then they are also in a high risk category for the different cruise crud that often appears on cruise ships and can cause health problems for some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkeye93 said:

It’s coming from the carnival cancellation policy.

“From 29 to15 days prior to sailing, the penalty is 75% of the total fare or the standard deposit amount, whichever is greater”.

You are correct, my bad

42 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Also, if comparing other cruise line's policies, make sure that you are comparing apples to apples.

There is a big difference in the cruising demographic on a Viking cruise and the contract between the passenger and cruise line at booking to that of a Carnival cruise.

Let's face it, if a passenger is in a high risk category of corona virus, then they are also in a high risk category for the different cruise crud that often appears on cruise ships and can cause health problems for some.

Agree

2 hours ago, Denverdonkeys said:

insurance will not pay out because you have a fear either though... people need to stop saying that. you need to actually be impacted to file a claim.

unless you have the cancel for any reason policy, which is a reduced cruise credit usually.

there are also other coronovirus threads, check those out.

You are so right.

Here's a pretty good reality check for what insurance covers - if you think insurers are on the travellers side, good luck.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/02/09/travel/coronavirus-outbreak-travel-insurance-may-not-cover-associated-losses/

• Like 1

I asked my wife today if she was worried about our October cruise.  She replied she didn’t like that Carnival had made recent itinerary changes without notification (I actually agree but realize they have discretion).  Hopefully we go and hopefully we go somewhere we want to go.  Our insurance is not CFAR so we have to keep thinking things over as this virus progresses.  I guess I will not be making another payment until required.  Keeping everyone in our prayers as health is more important in the end than money.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yogibear said:

I have 2 cruises book: 9 day Legend in May and 14 day Pride in November.  I'm  going on both, armed with hand sanitizer , Clorox wipes and tissues!

Karen 

I’m on the Legend for 9 days in May too

and have no intention of canceling. 

We're booked for the Sunshine on 3/30.  I am more concerned with norovirus.   My niece is booked on another cruise line to Alaska in May.  She was all ready to cancel.  Maybe I shouldn't have,  but I talked her out of it.  I believe that this isn't as critical as the news is portraying.  I have spoken to a couple of doctors and they aren't overly concerned.  They advised to take the normal precautions against the flu like you normally would.  That being said, I'm going on my cruise and I plan to have a great time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Agree Viking has a very specialized clientele at the price point they charge. The have a much smaller client base to draw from and they want to not lose those customers.  

2 hours ago, WorkerBee74 said:

You are so right.

Here's a pretty good reality check for what insurance covers - if you think insurers are on the travellers side, good luck.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/02/09/travel/coronavirus-outbreak-travel-insurance-may-not-cover-associated-losses/

Anybody who buys insurance without knowing what it covers and what it does not cover has nothing to complain about.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Anybody who buys insurance without knowing what it covers and what it does not cover has nothing to complain about.  

2 comments on this.  

Many folks who booked & got insurance did so prior to the current pandemic that no one could have predicted.  Your 20/20 rear view googles comment would have been more helpful a few months ago.  

Most folks who booked insurance also do so thru their TA.  I did so and while it was not CFAR it was at a sufficient coverage level to cover costs incurred at her recommendation.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

2 comments on this.  

Many folks who booked & got insurance did so prior to the current pandemic that no one could have predicted.  Your 20/20 rear view googles comment would have been more helpful a few months ago.  

Most folks who booked insurance also do so thru their TA.  I did so and while it was not CFAR it was at a sufficient coverage level to cover costs incurred at her recommendation.  

Of course people take insurance, it is almost always the right thing to so.  Also good to take advice of your TA.  I am in the same category. So you knew what the coverage of your insurance is.  Insurance other than CFAR covers medical and weather to the parameters of the policy.  What it does not cover is fear of a medical event in the future.  That was my point.  Nobody has a crystal ball 🔮 to see what will happen.  So we make the best decision we can.  While wow you might feel between a rock and a hard place, the contracts in place, between you and the cruise line and you and the insurance company are clear, you should have nothing to complain about.  I understand the angst with the situation as it now stands.  We can only make the best decisions we can and accept the fallout.  I hope you make the right one fo you. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dietpepsi said:

buy trip insurance now! I got allianz travel insurance and got the 'cancel for any reason' type. Was about $66 for 2 people when I got it a week ago. I am going on the Dream April 9th

3 minutes ago, Aprilfoolx said:

buy trip insurance now! I got allianz travel insurance and got the 'cancel for any reason' type. Was about $66 for 2 people when I got it a week ago. I am going on the Dream April 9th

the insurance company said that for any reason insurance has to be bought at time of deposit...it is too late...and as it stands regular travel insurance does not cover epidimics

2 minutes ago, dietpepsi said:

the insurance company said that for any reason insurance has to be bought at time of deposit...it is too late...and as it stands regular travel insurance does not cover epidimics

True. But in the unlikely event you do get sick, it should supplement any insurance you have or help in other ways such as if you get home from a different port.

This might be unique.  We are traveling with our twin grandsons.  Their subdivision was wiped out in Putnam County Tennessee and are currently living in temp housing.  We are suppose to leave in 10 days and their mother doesn't want them to go because of their situation and the corona thing.  We just bought the standard Carnival trip protection.

I’m still wandering when I was complaining in my post.

You stated the obvious about people should know what insurance covers.  I stated the obvious that no one could have predicted the current climate.  

I’m not going to say anything further as anything I post considered off topic gets deleted & not worth the effort.  Hopefully you got my implied message as I did yours.

To add something on-topic of value I will say that going forward I intend to select CFAR insurance.

Edited by soonernstlouis