Costco or NCL for travel insurance?

Dreams42Day

I plan to purchase travel insurance for my upcoming cruise and would like input as to whether to go with Costco or directly with NCL for this? Does anyone have experience that would help guide my decision? Thanks in advance!

38 minutes ago, Dreams42Day said:

I plan to purchase travel insurance for my upcoming cruise and would like input as to whether to go with Costco or directly with NCL for this? Does anyone have experience that would help guide my decision? Thanks in advance!

We're not allowed to discuss or name travel agents or agencies, but I would never buy insurance from a cruise line or a travel agency. Coverage is generally more limited than what is available from insurance  companies that can be easily purchased through independent on line travel insurance agencies.

We are permitted to name insurance agencies. Three such agencies are insuremytrip.com , tripinsurancestore.com and squaremouth.com .

As there are  a large variety of policies available you need to assess your personal coverage needs before buying insurance. 

You may want to read or post questions on Cruise Critic's insurance forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 4

I was on the Pearl from when we were delayed by fog. I can share that those with NCL insurance had priority access to phones or computers to change travel arrangements. 

I didn't have insurance for that trip.

I have generally not bought the insurance for my Caribbean cruises because I am OK with the cancellation penalty risk. For Asia and Mediterranean cruises I have bought insurance through the cruise line. 

I have not shopped 3rd party rates as I prefer the one stop deals we've taken with NCL (Cruise, reduced airfare and insurance).

It's not "through Costco" they just point you to a provider that they work with and gives their customers a discount. I purchased through that because the one I was given was a well respected company and the plans available were both better and cheaper than I found on insurance sites. I have no idea if it's just one provider they work with or not. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

We're not allowed to discuss or name travel agents or agencies, but I would never buy insurance from a cruise line or a travel agency. Coverage is generally more limited than what is available from insurance  companies that can be easily purchased through independent on line travel insurance agencies.

We are permitted to name insurance agencies. Three such agencies are insuremytrip.com , tripinsurancestore.com and squaremouth.com .

As there are  a large variety of policies available you need to assess your personal coverage needs before buying insurance. 

You may want to read or post questions on Cruise Critic's insurance forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

I disagree with this. On my last trip I purchase insurance through my travel agency. I needed CFAR insurance and found it cost prohibitive to purchase independently but through the TA it was a reasonable price and covered 100%. We did end up having a trip interruption issue and I was satisfied with the amount of reimbursement and speed at which we received it. Would get insurance through a TA again.

45 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I disagree with this. On my last trip I purchase insurance through my travel agency. I needed CFAR insurance and found it cost prohibitive to purchase independently but through the TA it was a reasonable price and covered 100%. We did end up having a trip interruption issue and I was satisfied with the amount of reimbursement and speed at which we received it. Would get insurance through a TA again.

From my years as a travel agency owner I can tell you that your experience was the exception rather than the rule. Anyone looking for the best deal on a policy that suits their needs should shop around. If it turns out that a policy offered by your travel agent is best  then buy it, but typically better prices on better coverage can be found elsewhere.

Edited by njhorseman

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

We're not allowed to discuss or name travel agents or agencies,

With regard to that it is best to refer to these as a Big Box retailer or that TA auto club with 3As as simply a TA.

No direct association Please but for the most of us here we know right away who and what you are referring to.

XXXXX

About that insurance read the fine print about collusion of benefits having TOO MUCH insurance.

Being overly insured with the insurance companies denying duplicate insurance. 

Check that your credit card or homeowners automobile insurance may cover a portion.

And while the "C" virus is a hot topic check your medical insurance plans for any alternatives.

Now be off on that cruise and have a worry free time - odds are that you will not need insurance but then #%@& !

If you are a person that travels and dines a lot, I would consider looking at a credit card that offers a generous insurance policy (Chase Sapphire Reserve). Yes, the yearly fee is astronomical, but the value far outweighs the cost of the fee. As long as you pay for the entire trip with your card, then you are covered. One thing I would stress to look out for is emergency medical evacuation from the ship. I believe Chase covers $100,000 per occurrence whereas others are much less. The coverage they offer is just the icing on the cake though.

4 minutes ago, DCCyclist said:

If you are a person that travels and dines a lot, I would consider looking at a credit card that offers a generous insurance policy (Chase Sapphire Reserve). Yes, the yearly fee is astronomical, but the value far outweighs the cost of the fee. As long as you pay for the entire trip with your card, then you are covered. One thing I would stress to look out for is emergency medical evacuation from the ship. I believe Chase covers $100,000 per occurrence whereas others are much less. The coverage they offer is just the icing on the cake though.

I was looking into it until my friend said the annual fee was going way up. When you add in that they have basically no medical coverage (not talking  evacuation) that's a lot of money for it. You can get an annual policy for less. 

Still looking for a replacement card since the Costco got rid of travel insurance coverage. 

Yeah the emergency medical for Chase Sapphire Reserve is just that - only emergency (not if you have the flu or cut your leg, as examples), and only up to $2,500 each (after $50 deduct).  I knew someone who was running a fever and went to the ship doctor for antibiotics, none of that was covered by Chase. 

What is also problematic is the "not covered" for trip interruption/ cancellation - specifically "Travel arrangements canceled or changed by a common carrier, tour operator, or any travel agency unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation". So if United cancels my flight for a non-weather/ non-strike reason, Chase won't likely reimburse me for missing my cruise even though I paid for the flight and cruise with my Chase card.

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel

Don't get me wrong, there is some great value in the Chase Sapphire Reserve coverage, but it does have some holes to be cognizant of.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:09 AM, Dreams42Day said:

One thing you should make sure of; whatever insurance you purchase, make sure it is 'primary insurance'. Most cruise lines sell secondary insurance which means you have to file with your credit card and homeowners insurance companies before they will pay.

I use AIG. I had a claim at one time and got my refund within a couple of weeks even though they told me that it would be a six week minimum.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:09 AM, Dreams42Day said:

Neither

Look at an online insurance agency like insuremytrip.com