Extending the "Pay in Full" date

CruisinShips

I have a cruise scheduled for late June...the pay in full date is approaching later this month.  If I had to make a decision today, we would undoubtedly cancel (not for fear of contracting the virus as a much as the fear of being quarantined at the end).

I asked my TA to inquire as to whether HAL is considering  extending the pay in full date, which she did, and they refused to do so.

I suppose it's possible they may reconsider this over the next couple of weeks, but it seems to me it would be a very smart and prudent thing for them to do.  Has anyone else looked into this?

• Like 1

A couple of thoughts:

1.  Check out the new HAL promotion - you can still rebook under it -there is some limited protection for cancelling with it.

2.  Take out HAL's Cancel for Any Reason insurance - you can do this right up to the day before your Final Payment.

any reason at least 30 days from departure, you can receive a Future Cruise Credit.

Sometimes, the TA sets the date. We book through a big box TA, and the final payment date for our 21-day trip late this June is this coming Monday, 105 days before sailing. It used to be 90, but it's been extended (I don't know if it's their general policy, only for HAL voyages, the trip's length, or something else). Since I know they've set the date well beyond what HAL requires, you may have some wiggle room in those situations. Good luck!

2 hours ago, kwb101 said:

Sometimes, the TA sets the date. We book through a big box TA, and the final payment date for our 21-day trip late this June is this coming Monday, 105 days before sailing. It used to be 90, but it's been extended (I don't know if it's their general policy, only for HAL voyages, the trip's length, or something else). Since I know they've set the date well beyond what HAL requires, you may have some wiggle room in those situations. Good luck!

My big box requires payment 14 days before the cruise line final payment date but I can cancel up to final CRUISE line cancel date, the 14 days is to make sure the payment to them clears when they transmit to the cruise line, it should not change the real cancel date.

I am on a HAL arriving back in the US on 6-1 and have a Princess that  Princess final is 6-14 Princess date that I moved to big box and they told me I could cancel up until the 14th for that cruise and the actual for my HAL ( I asked right before the BB due date).

Edited by AlanF65

2 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

My big box requires payment 14 days before the cruise line final payment date but I can cancel up to final CRUISE line cancel date, the 14 days is to make sure the payment to them clears when they transmit to the cruise line, it should not change the real cancel date.

Our big box moved the date forward for trips leaving this year. It could be because they're long (41, 35, and 43 days).

On 3/5/2020 at 7:13 AM, CruisinShips said:

I have a cruise scheduled for late June...the pay in full date is approaching later this month.  If I had to make a decision today, we would undoubtedly cancel (not for fear of contracting the virus as a much as the fear of being quarantined at the end).

I asked my TA to inquire as to whether HAL is considering  extending the pay in full date, which she did, and they refused to do so.

I suppose it's possible they may reconsider this over the next couple of weeks, but it seems to me it would be a very smart and prudent thing for them to do.  Has anyone else looked into this?

Not sure if I did this right, but the attachment below explains HAL's new policies up to March 31, 2020 cruises. At the very end is a statement about June cruises. The final pay date is moved to 60 days ahead of the cruise. Of course, we've already paid, since our final date was March 3rd....oh well, hope this helps you. The title of the thread on the HAL CC posting was "Will HAL now match Princess' new virus cancellation policy" , in case my attactment is unreadable. I think the below post is on page 5. P.S. I guess my attachment worked, it's below....twice. 🙂

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 5.23.34 PM.png

Edited by PSR

Wow... just this morning we got the BigBox TA to extend from March 8th to March 19th for our June 20th trip.

Looks like we have to call again to confirm the new updated final payment, and that we can still buy the platinum protection at that point.

9 minutes ago, mrmoviezombie said:

Wow... just this morning we got the BigBox TA to extend from March 8th to March 19th for our June 20th trip.

Looks like we have to call again to confirm the new updated final payment, and that we can still buy the platinum protection at that point.

Yes, it would be good to confirm the pay date extension. I just checked the HAL website and the last 2 sentences about June cruises have not yet been added to their current Coronavirus cancellation policy up to May 31st.