My NCL cruise certificate story

david_sobe

I know many on here are experts with cruise next certificates so hold your fire and don't flame me.  I have bought them before for $250 and earn the $100 OBC while on board.  I decided to do so this past Encore cruise.  The woman at the cruise next desk was very heavy in sales persuasion.  I forget her name but remember her name tag that she was from Russia.  She kept talking me out of my $250 plan for $100 OBC.  She kept persuading me for the double offer and could use $500 deposit on a future Haven cruise booked 6 months in advance or used separately if booked less than 6 months.  I asked so many questions and we had a very long back and forth.  I bought both $250 certificates.

I was eager today to book my next NCL cruise.  I had the cabin, ship, itinerary all set for my NCL PCC.  When I called her she immediately informed me that I could not use any of the certificates because the cruise I wanted to book was 5 nights and certificates can only be used on cruises for 6 nights or longer.  Ooops, that part was never brought up in our long 20 min conversation prior to buying them.  It may be standard language but I guess the times I used them before I booked 7 nights.  Ok how about I use one for $250 for the amount I paid?  Nope.  So I was prepared to pay NCL a $1000 deposit for a Haven suite today.  But no deal.  I cancelled the cruise certificate and felt duped. I know I know, I should know better. I am only telling this story so others can learn too.  She was a very slick talker and sales person.  But everything happens for a reason.  Thank goodness I wanted to book right away since they give you 30 days for a refund.  So I cancelled the cruise certificate and got a refund.  Plans put on hold and in no rush to book.

I just wish in our long conversation of so many back and forth this part was explained to me.  Live and learn 😉  The cruise next certificate person at NCL was wonderful at giving the refund. 

4 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I know many on here are experts with cruise next certificates so hold your fire and don't flame me. 

I wonder how long it will be before someone chastises you for not reading some language that should have been obvious to see and read?

I've been the owner of many Cruise Next Certificates and I can tell you I never realized there was a minimum length requirement.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I wonder how long it will be before someone chastises you for not reading some language that should have been obvious to see and read?

I've been the owner of many Cruise Next Certificates and I can tell you I never realized there was a minimum length requirement.

LOL that is why I wrote the predicate. I do expect flames and arrows heading my way.   I am platinum with NCL and used them before but also was not aware.  My point is ONLY to help other people because during the entire 15 min sales pitch it was never mentioned.  But let the lectures roll 🙈

Just disappointed I did not book today but everything happens for a reason.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

can only be used on cruises for 6 nights or longer

Wierd, used several cruise next and never knew about that. We do prefer longer cruises so that might be a reason but good to know !

I get exactly where you are coming from.

Here's my experience: I also bought the double CN certs (1 haven, 1 regular for $750, with lots of OBC on current cruise back) on our last NCL cruise in September. Sales pitch: $500 haven cert for full deposit no co-pay required for deposit on any ship, 2 certs can be used together for $750 credit. This was the subject matter of my thorough questioning at the CN desk onboard. As per the 5 day, they did mention to us at our sit down with the dept. that the rule WAS 5 days or longer, but they had just changed it to 6 or longer. Hold that thought.

I just booked a couple days ago, and my PCC asked me for the extra $1000 for the deposit. I said no, it was explained to me that the HAVEN cert surpasses the need to co pay for deposit. She talked with her supervisor and confirmed no co pay was required. I did not however get to use both certs in one booking which was very disappointing for me, as it was a subject matter I also had discussed quite thoroughly with the agent onboard. 

Thanks for the heads up! Sorry you had this problem, the pushy sales person should have explained the minimum cruise length. They have definitely made changes to the program; and what is sold onboard, is not necessarily what happens when you get home and book. 

Sorry you had to go through 15 minutes of NOT helpful information from her.  I have to say, the only time I encountered a rude Cruise Next person was on our January Encore.  I don't know her name, but she was kind of talking down to the newbie couple in front of us and they were not understanding her convoluted sales pitch.    They finally left without buying the CN certificates.

Like you, I'm Platinum Plus with NCL and have bought lots of CN certificates. (And I didn't know you couldn't use them for a 5 day cruise either!)  When she finally got done confusing the poor couple inline before me, she was not very nice about me  just wanting to buy my two certificates without her going through the whole spiel again.    Her condescending manner was frustrating....and RUDE!     I felt bad for the way she talked to the new cruisers ahead of me.   

Every other employee on the Encore was great.   Just so surprised that this particular person was put on the CN desk.  Some will say I should have reported the way she acted to someone higher up, but frankly, I did not want to let her spoil my day anymore.   

I will say you was duped.  I also bought 4 with all sorts of promises and they left out the part about 5day cruises. I was also told you can use two for balcony or grater.  It was just sheer luck i was able to book two cruises doing that. (Only because it was a special going on, not because you can always do it)

i always say if it looks too good to be true, dont believe it.

• Like 1

We were hounded by the Cruise Next dept on our last cruise - messages on the phone, messages on the iTV, letters to our cabin, flyers in the dailies. When we complained the person gave us the "don't you want free money" spiel we simply stated no, as usually we do not cruise often enough for us to use them. We went on that our main complaint was we felt harassed with no way to opt out of these messages - she informed us that if we had contacted her after the first invite we could have been removed from further invites - we told her (and NCL) that it would have been nice to have had that somewhere in the messages.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but NCLs cruise next program is one of the best in the industry, in my opinion. I only sail 7+ days. Others give you a cheap $25 OBC. But, lesson learned.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, blcruising said:

Sorry to hear about your situation, but NCLs cruise next program is one of the best in the industry, in my opinion. I only sail 7+ days. Others give you a cheap $25 OBC. But, lesson learned.

And I agree, it's a great deal.  I always have two certificates ready to put towards a cruise.   I just think the person I dealt with last on Encore is not the one NCL should have working at that desk.   Talked with nice informative CN employees on all of our other cruises.  

• Like 1

I do know about the "cruise lite" and haven deposits - but not because any of that is spelled out in their spiel. I've always taken longer cruises and don't stay in the Haven so it's not something that would affect me, but the only reason I know they exist is because they are mentioned on CC every once in awhile.  The sales pitch is focused on the regular certificates, with no mention that there are exceptions - so it is a natural assumption that they would work for any cruise deposit.

8 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

I will say you was duped.  I also bought 4 with all sorts of promises and they left out the part about 5day cruises. I was also told you can use two for balcony or grater.  It was just sheer luck i was able to book two cruises doing that. (Only because it was a special going on, not because you can always do it)

i always say if it looks too good to be true, dont believe it.

If I remember correctly, the 2 certificates used to be for a balcony or above but you also had to book 6 months in advance, unless they were doing a double-up promo.  Last time I looked, that wasn't even mentioned in the T&Cs anymore - but that could be because there was a double-up promo at the time.  But again, not really spelled out in the standard sales pitch.

I have to say that the CruiseNext consultants I have dealt with have been polite and informative.  On occasion, I have asked to come back later after thinking it over.  The response was always "of course."  I guess I learned most of the terms from the "endless" CuiseNext spiel on the cabin TV.  

• Like 1

I never said anyone was rude.  She was very pushy but not rude.  Its sales after all.  I finally caved but yes I should know the details but its nice to be informed of them too.  Rules are rules.

Although its a bit odd.  Have you seen cruise prices lately?  7 night Escape out of Miami in March 2020 inside cabins from $279 and balcony cabins from $454 pp.  The industry is crashing and here I am trying to buy a Haven cabin with money I already paid NCL plus a huge deposit.  Yet no deal.  I try to understand it but its odd.  I see why latitude rewards are limited to shorter cruises but deposits are cash advances to cruise lines for guaranteed bookings.  Cruise prices change a little all the time.  Why does it matter if you book a 7 night, 3, night, 5 night or 10 night...you are spending money with booking a cruise.

But like I said, rules are rules and they have their logic behind it.   Part of me is relieved not getting into paying off another cruise.  I cant believe prices can get lower like $279 for 7 nights, 5 ports, on such a great ship Escape.  But who knows.  

Edited by david_sobe

11 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

We just got off a cruise … the CN form had 3 options for us to choose from and the quantity: CN Lite, CN regular and CN Haven.

I'm assuming that the Lite one is for shorter cruises.

I think you just proved the point.  Unless you  ask, you don't know what the difference is.  And if you don't know there might be restrictions, you wouldn't know to ask.  It would just appear that you are buying different certificates because of the value.

38 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I never said anyone was rude.  She was very pushy but not rude.  Its sales after all.  I finally caved but yes I should know the details but its nice to be informed of them too....

Yeah, I was the one using the word rude for our CN consultant on the January Encore.  Sorry, didn't mean to imply that your consultant was rude, but sad to say she didn't point out the limitations of those certificates.   

And again, let me say that I've been sailing on NCL four times each year for the last 5 or 6 years and have always bought two certificates each cruise.   I would say all of the other CN consultants have been extra nice to talk to. Just had to vent a little about my January Encore experience.   

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

LOL that is why I wrote the predicate. I do expect flames and arrows heading my way.   I am platinum with NCL and used them before but also was not aware.  My point is ONLY to help other people because during the entire 15 min sales pitch it was never mentioned.  But let the lectures roll 🙈

Just disappointed I did not book today but everything happens for a reason.

Honestly I never would have known that if I hadn't read these boards. NCL does not advertise that little caveat readily...

10 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Yeah, I was the one using the word rude for our CN consultant on the January Encore.  Sorry, didn't mean to imply that your consultant was rude, but sad to say she didn't point out the limitations of those certificates.   

And again, let me say that I've been sailing on NCL four times each year for the last 5 or 6 years and have always bought two certificates each cruise.   I would say all of the other CN consultants have been extra nice to talk to. Just had to vent a little about my January Encore experience.   

Was she from Russia?

14 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

We were hounded by the Cruise Next dept on our last cruise - messages on the phone, messages on the iTV, letters to our cabin, flyers in the dailies. When we complained the person gave us the "don't you want free money" spiel we simply stated no, as usually we do not cruise often enough for us to use them. We went on that our main complaint was we felt harassed with no way to opt out of these messages - she informed us that if we had contacted her after the first invite we could have been removed from further invites - we told her (and NCL) that it would have been nice to have had that somewhere in the messages.

One of the few areas they've beefed up staffing is the CN area.  Nothing like going on vacation to get robocalls.

14 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

You know what, I sort of agree.  Every day there was a new flyer and crazy alerts that my cruise next account was empty and I  needed to take action immediately. I discarded it all.  I always found a line at the Cruise Next dept so it must be working.  But the face to face sales pitch was almost like I was buying a time share  LOL

I had to laugh and agree with dexdd that this department is the only place NCL has beefed up the staff.  They let you know they exist at every turn of the cruise...….at shows, in your cabin, and constant announcements.

13 hours ago, julig22 said:

I think you just proved the point.  Unless you  ask, you don't know what the difference is.  And if you don't know there might be restrictions, you wouldn't know to ask.  It would just appear that you are buying different certificates because of the value.

I don't know..."unless you ask" infers a dependency on someone else for information. I don't know that it is necessary as all the information is available for self-learning https://www.ncl.com/cruisenext I don't rely on somebody to inform me of each and every single little detail for everything.

FWIW, the cruise length requirement is mentioned twice on the page (and that is before you even get to the terms and conditions).

Honestly I think the 3 tiers of CN is fairly new.  First I had heard about it was on the Escape back in October, but there was nothing about them on my Gem cruise last May.  Not that that excuses her from not explaining you cannot use them on shorter cruises.  Though I have found the CN staff to be not completely knowledgeable on how they work.  BTW you can use them on last minute cruises.  7 day cruise for $279 and you have $500 in CNCs.  Well, it's almost like getting a free cruise at that point.

I think this may be new, since on my Feb cruise they had 3 type of cruise next certs you could buy.  I only remember one kind, but they now have one that is for short cruises (100), the regular one (250), and one they claim is best for haven booking (500).

I was confused and just bought my usual 2 regular ones.

16 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Sorry, but this just demonstrates another stupid NCL policy to frustrate passengers.