My NCL cruise certificate story

david_sobe

I thought I was the only one that didn’t know you could only use the CNC for 7 days or more! Booked a cruise out of NOLA for Super Bowl. First thing was I didn’t realize it was only five days, just assumed it was seven. But was ok with five days none the less. Then when I said I wanted to use my CNC was told nope, only on seven days or more. Again I just assumed I could but I was ok with not using it. The lesson I learned was to never book any cruise that’s less than 7 days!

42 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Isn't the rules spelled out on the form you must fill out and sign?

Yes, but it's apparently considered flaming to point that out.

To be sure, though, the limitation in the use of CN certificates to cruises of "6 days or longer" [what the form we got in the Gem said in January] is in paragraph 5 of the Terms & Conditions on the back page of the two-sided Cruise Next offer flyer given out on ships. The front page, the one with all the hype about "free money," uses language about applying the cert to "your future cruises," "your next reservation," with no limitation stated as to the length of the cruise.  

I agree that people should read the terms and rules before they sign.  But I do think that when there's a limit in use to cruises of a specific length, using unrestricted language like "your next reservation" clearly misleads many people. 

But yes, it's a good idea to read the rules before committing money to something.

4 hours ago, SeaShark said:

I don't know..."unless you ask" infers a dependency on someone else for information. I don't know that it is necessary as all the information is available for self-learning https://www.ncl.com/cruisenext I don't rely on somebody to inform me of each and every single little detail for everything.

FWIW, the cruise length requirement is mentioned twice on the page (and that is before you even get to the terms and conditions).

Well, good thing that you don't have to use your internet minutes anymore to go to a NCL page while you are on-board so that you can verify that you were given all the details. Hindsight is wonderful

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Well, good thing that you don't have to use your internet minutes anymore to go to a NCL page while you are on-board so that you can verify that you were given all the details. Hindsight is wonderful

Hindsight is wonderful, as is foresight. There is nothing stopping you from reading and learning prior to your cruise, or even while on the cruise BEFORE making the purchase. This is a little known secret, but you can also ask to review the offer's terms and conditions before you buy. An informed consumer is a smart consumer. 

44 minutes ago, julig22 said:

No need to visit any web site.  The Terms & Conditions are printed right on the CN Cert purchase form, right above where you have to sign. 

8 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Was she from Russia?

I honestly didn't notice.  I was so surprised by her attitude.    

On prior cruises we were able to just drop our CN form in a kind of mail box.   Is it practice now on all ships that you must have the long talk with the cruise consultant?

1 minute ago, Sand and Seas said:

On prior cruises we were able to just drop our CN form in a kind of mail box.   Is it practice now on all ships that you must have the long talk with the cruise consultant?

Don't think so. I am sort of old school and prefer to do things in person

21 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

No.  You can drop the form in the Cruise Next box (at least that was the case in January).

Just now, Turtles06 said:

No.  You can drop the form in the Cruise Next box (at least that was the case in January).

That's what I had seen on our prior cruises (lately on Bliss, Getaway).  But on our late January cruise on Encore there wasn't a drop-box.  Thought it was strange and it did force you to go to the counter during their open hours to talk to a CN consultant.     

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

No need to visit any web site.  The Terms & Conditions are printed right on the CN Cert purchase form, right above where you have to sign. 

I was responding to the person who said a person could always refer to the web site when they are on a ship and thinking about buying certificates.

7 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I was responding to the person who said a person could always refer to the web site when they are on a ship and thinking about buying certificates.

Not really as YOU were the person who said that. I said it as well, but only in a post AFTER yours...and I only pointed out that you didn't have to read it on the ship, but you could read it PRIOR to going on the cruise.

I have a question and I'll apologize in advance if this is something everyone else already knows.  I am reading the cruisenext info and my question is about the Haven deposits.  Am I reading it correctly to say that you get $500 in OBC when you buy either 4 $250 CruiseNext certificates OR 4 $500 CruiseNext certificates (that would be used for suites)?  What am I missing?  What would be the reason that you would spend $2,000 to get $500 in OBC instead of $1,000 to get OBC?

Thank you so much for providing insight!

Kim

23 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Not really as YOU were the person who said that. I said it as well, but only in a post AFTER yours...and I only pointed out that you didn't have to read it on the ship, but you could read it PRIOR to going on the cruise.

Missed sarcasm - guess it was too subtle.

7 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I knew it would not be long before someone posted a link to the NCL website.  Surprised it took so long 🤭

21 posts and about 16 hours, I too am surprised it took that long.  What's not surprising is who did it.

Edited by PATRLR