Spirit, Mar 15 departing Mumbai

lesliedrew

Is anyone else concerned about the Mar 15 Spirit departure from Mumbai?  

I am booked on that departure.  Haven't cancelled yet but am getting seriously worried about getting to Mumbai and being denied boarding.  Though I'm not from any of the newly denied countries, I am from Seattle, WA where things are getting more and more interesting.  I live in a Senior community with additional restrictions each day.  No one other than residents and employees allowed into our building.  

If I cough at the wrong time or I answer a question wrong I could be denied boarding ... and then get a full refund?  If I cancel now I get nothing.  Or the Mumbai port could deny docking ... then what?  Is it worth a flight to Mumbai or should I just cancel?   Decisions, decisions ... 

The new June to Dec 30 day policy seems fair but what about March to May?  

Just cancelled March 25 departure from Dubai. Not worth the risk. Agree, the new policy does nothing for people with concerns in our travel timeframe. Seems to be more focused on getting future bookings up by minimizing risk with more liberal cancellation policy. 

• Like 2

I also am embarking in Mumbai and am equally worried but more about if the ship does not dock there and the help I will receive.. I am flying from the UK. Moreover,

The port of Doha is closed so I called the London office and was told the ship was still going  there!! Qatar is very wealthy and not dependent upon cruise passengers, so I see no chance that of Its opening.  I am still going although I would have preferred to switch to another cruise.

I am also booked from Venice to Athens mid May but Silversea said that as of now there are no changes.

I'm also scheduled to depart on the 15th from Mumbai, and I checked in with my SS agent this morning just to see if she had been hearing anything that maybe I should know. She replied with reassurances and made sure I had the most recent official statement. 

Lesliedrew, have you spoken with anyone as SS about the fact that you are coming from Washington State? That certainly seems relevant. I'd be very interested in hearing how they counsel you.

Wren2, I share your concern, especially as I fly to India tomorrow. Should SS change the embarkation point, I assume they would need to get us all to the new place? As of now, India is fairly low in the rankings, with only 30 reported cases in their gazillion-person population. Most of our port stops are also  currently quite low, despite their proximity to Iran. 

Some ports may well be closed to us, but I'm still hoping for the best. It does seem that SS is monitoring things closely, and is making informed decisions on a daily basis. 

Fingers and toes crossed, wishing the best for everyone involved, no matter where in the world they may be,

Unibok

• Like 2

We too are due to join in Mumbai, but are leaving UK Sunday for a 6 day pre-cruise tour of the Golden Triangle. Spirit is now at sea, having left Port Klang, Malaysia, but heading south past Mallacca. Can’t find any specific information on its route etc, either from SS or our TA/ tour arranger. Our flights are via Abu Dhabi, so that’s an additional potential pinch point. I’m sure there is great reluctance by tour operator, airline and SS to cancel, and unless they do it would be 100% down to us hence 100% loss. But we want to go anyway. Will be packing lots of hand sanitizers, disinfectant wipes, even a few masks for show - and keeping fingers crossed.

I just spoke to "someone" at Silversea and he said there is a new policy and I would get a FCC (for cruise only) if I cancelled.  He was reluctant to give me any other details or clarification saying I should talk to my Silversea consultant.  I'm waiting for him to return my call.  Anxious to hear what he has to say about Washington state.

Wren2, I couldn't find anything saying Doha was closed because of Covid-19.  I think their new cruise terminal may still be under construction and that may be closed but Doha can still dock ships.

Best to all of you whether on this cruise or using a FCC to some other wonderful destination.

lesliedrew

Silversea email dated 7 March =

Silversea Cruises, together with RCL group is providing travellers unprecedented cancellation and rebooking options offering everyone additional time to evaluate their travel plans in this fluid situation.

FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT REFUND

FOR SAILINGS DEPARTING FROM TODAY UNTIL MAY 31ST 2020
For all sailings departing from today until May 31st 2020 (existing and future bookings) our guests will have a chance to cancel their booking up to 2 days prior to departure and receive a full refund so comprised: any amounts still refundable per Silversea standard cancellation policy will be refunded in the original form of payment, any outstanding amounts due as per cancellation policy will be refunded through a Future Cruise Credit. The Future Cruise Credit amount will cover in specific any applicable cancellation penalty and will exclude any amounts paid for air upgrades, deviation fees, pre, post and overland tours, transfers and hotels.

FOR SAILINGS DEPARTING BETWEEN JUNE 1ST AND JULY 31ST 2020
For all sailings departing between June 1st 2020 and July 31st 2020 (existing and future bookings) our guests will have the largest choice and in specific:

1) If they cancel 30 days prior to sailing date they can elect to receive either a 100% cash refund (see below cash* refund for details) or a 100% future cruise credit refund (see above for details)

2) If they cancel between 30 days and 2 days prior to sailing they will receive a 100% Future cruise credit refund (see above for details)

3) If they cancel 2 days prior to sailing the cancellation policy will be 100%.

The above cancellation will be subject to a $200 administrative fee.
  • Like 1

We are currently on the Spirit anchored offshore from Langkawi Malaysia.

as of this morning Malaysia has closed all ports and the Captain announced that India has done the same. This is on top of Myanmar and Sri Lanka earlier this week.

i am expecting the ship to return to Singapore while it is still open and end the cruise early, but this is just my opinion. 
good luck to all on the next cruise. I suggest confirming with SS before you leave home.

It implied all ports, much like Malaysia did. Secretary of Health. He did add that India will be holding an emergency meeting tomorrow to reassess their decision, whatever that means.

information is sparse as it is a weekend. I’ll keep you apprised as announcements are made on board.

22 minutes ago, Poskashflo said:

It implied all ports, much like Malaysia did. Secretary of Health. He did add that India will be holding an emergency meeting tomorrow to reassess their decision, whatever that means.

information is sparse as it is a weekend. I’ll keep you apprised as announcements are made on board.

Thank you - much appreciated 

New announcement from Captain:

India is officially closed to cruise ships. Singapore has now also rejected the ship.

we will proceed to either Cambodia or Ho Chi Minh arriving Weds. the cruise will then be terminated that day.

Those traveling to Mumbai should call SS before leaving home.

Edited by Poskashflo
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, englandsrose said:

Thank you - much appreciated 

We are currently waiting to board Etihad flight to Delhi for pre-cruise Golden Triangle your. TA emergency line told me to carry on - if cruise goes ahead from somewhere they will try to get us to that port , and if not they’ll have options. So all we can do is keep calm, enjoy India and hope for the best. Thank goodness we used a TA/tour operator this time instead of making independent arrangements!

• Like 2

Good attitude Lazy Sailor.

The unprecedented cancellation policy doesn't seem to cover when SS cancel the cruise, which this Mumbai starter can certainly be considered as being. 

It does make you wonder where this is heading if passengers become prisoners (despite no infection on board) and how food supplies are going to last. I was originally thinking the extra unscheduled days might mean additional larger sized clothing required... But might actually be smaller needed! 

Logistical nightmare which I think CL will probably inevitably need to stop kidding themselves and guests they are going to have a cruise that's been booked.

Edited by les37b

Just got email from SS re cancellation.  We were on both legs.   Full refund and 25% discount for next new booking.  I thought quite generous.  I am sad we will be unable to see the Spirit and experience what was a fantastic itinerary.  But I mostly feel
bad for SS team...I am sure this is creating havoc on every level.

• Like 1

Agreed, Sued. We also found it to be generous, especially for circumstances completely out of their control. Also disappointed not to go, but maybe a slight bit of relief that I don't have to make the decision!  Now hoping things are better in time for our July sailing. 

1 hour ago, geekgirl23 said:

Just got the email from my agent that this and the next cruise from Dubai (the one we're on) are canceled.

That was fast, the announcement was made onboard last night and its good to see SS getting the information out over the weekend.

From our point of view all of this affects the WC and where the Whisper goes after Sydney. Currently no information post Sydney. SS need to get their act together in the next few days and give guests an option of baling out in Australia or ending up being trapped on the ship for possibly the next couple of months.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geekgirl23 said:

Agreed, Sued. We also found it to be generous, especially for circumstances completely out of their control. Also disappointed not to go, but maybe a slight bit of relief that I don't have to make the decision!  Now hoping things are better in time for our July sailing. 

I just visited the My SS website and see no mention of cancellation Dubai to Athens 3/25. I am on with a BtoB  Athens to Venice. I would imagine a detailed cancellation will be forthcoming tomorrow. On a Sunday, how did your agent get this info?

jeffkauf, this is the email I received from Silversea:

Dear Silversea Guest,

Following the announcements of the Governments of India, Colombo and United Arab Emirates, among others, closing their ports to all cruise ships Silversea has taken the difficult decision to  cancel the following cruises. We regret these cancellations but due to the sudden, unexpected and massive port closures to all cruise ships it becomes impossible for us to guarantee to you the great Silversea experience you are used to enjoy:

•        Silver Spirit 5006 – 15th March to 25th March – Mumbai to Dubai

•        Silver Spirit 5007 – 25th of March to 10th of April – Dubai to Piraeus

You will receive a full refund in the original method of payment, plus a refund of up to 2 pre-cruise independent hotel nights reservations as well as the cancellation cost of any independent air arrangements upon presentation of the expenses to our guest relations department. In addition, as a goodwill gesture, you will receive a future cruise credit of 25% of the booked cruise value to be used on any new booking for the next 2 years.

Unfortunately we are facing an unprecedented situation which is out of our control, we are deeply sorry to have to cancel these cruises and look forward to welcoming aboard one of our beautiful ships soon. 

Very generous.  This for the United States ... assume it is the same for others.

poskashflo, hope all is well on your ship.  We'd all like to know of your progress and where you finally dock.

• Like 1

Thanks for the updates. We were denied Singapore access and are now bound for Cambodia which has given the ship written approval for docking. Captain is working on Ho Chi Minh as a better option (more flights) and hopes to hear on this later today. We are due to dock late afternoon Weds 3/11. We are free to stay on the ship and tour for a couple of days in whatever port receives us.

good luck to all!

• Like 1

Indeed, good luck to all guests on board. 

I know you still have the luxury of travelling on a lovely ship which we all eagerly pay large sums to do, but uncertainty is a real downer particularly if you "must" get back. The nearest I've come to this was during the Icelandic Volcano problem, where I ended up with a weeks extra holiday in Singapore which couldn't be enjoyed because of the fear of the unknown. We had no way of knowing what was ahead and the timeframe. But we were completely safe and knew it would be back to normal soon. Illness wasn't ever an issue, nor made to feel unwelcome. 

This however must be very much more worrying even with the setting and generosity given to guests regarding refunds etc.

Let's hope Ho Chi Minh / Cambodia let's you in and you can be safely on your way home to tell your holiday tales of what must currently feel like an endurance test. Your saving grace being no one on board is infected, which truly is something to be thankful for from what we've learned and seen.

We are all rooting for you and hope you're able to enjoy the time you've spent on the Spirit, despite everything.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1